Author Topic: HAM radio licensing  (Read 3472 times)

shane_man15

• Mogul
  • Back to building quality Honda products again.
HAM radio licensing
« on: October 23, 2010, 07:22:38 PM »
I thought this would be a good place to ask.
What's the website that offers the practice test for HAM radio licenses?
And Does anyone know where there are some places that provide the tests?
Shane Smiley (shane_man15)

Modeler of the Muncie, Richmond, and Fernald Railway.
Train horns are also my thing.

GIMME A CORVETTE ALREADY!

HoosierVirg

• President
Re: HAM radio licensing
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 07:52:38 PM »
http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/study.jsp

My Grandson and I were working on this one the other day.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

Bill

• Conductor
  • Now with 20% more foam!!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:41:03 AM »
http://www.qrz.com/xtest2.html

I used this site to pass my tech exam.  I have an electrical background, yet always learning 8), so it helped.  If you do enough of these test you will start to remember the correct answers.  I really wish I had more time to learn more about ham, but for the time being I got my license to get a scanner some day and be legal.
For more area railroad info, check out:
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Tri_State_Area_Railroads_IN_IL_Ky
My Pics at Dropshots.com : Password billstrains
http://www.dropshots.com/billstrains

shane_man15

• Mogul
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 09:04:37 AM »
http://www.qrz.com/xtest2.html

I used this site to pass my tech exam.  I have an electrical background, yet always learning 8), so it helped.  If you do enough of these test you will start to remember the correct answers.  I really wish I had more time to learn more about ham, but for the time being I got my license to get a scanner some day and be legal.
Someone actually told me about this site and I couldn't remember it. I wanted to get one mainly because I like radios and I don't want to get in any trouble with the police, the state cops, or even worse; Muncie Police. ;D

But thankyou for posting this.

Bill

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 07:41:16 PM »
I kept taking the test over and over and went to the ham fest in e-ville last year to take the test.  Fairly straight forward and the guys in charge kept people moving fairly quick.

shane_man15

• Mogul
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 08:17:44 PM »
I kept taking the test over and over and went to the ham fest in e-ville last year to take the test.  Fairly straight forward and the guys in charge kept people moving fairly quick.
How long do you have to take the test?

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:53:04 PM »
There is no time limit when taking the written test.  Good luck to all the future Ham's.  I origianly got my license to avoid being hasseled by the popo when railfanning, but then got interested in the Ham radio hobby as a whole. Talking around the world on less than 1 watt of power is something that has to be experienced.  ARRL website has lots of good info for future Hams.  Most Ham radios will scan the RR frequency band and have much better ablities to filter out the crud that effects scanners.  73's   Mike T   N9XLZ  general class license with code.

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 10:07:14 AM »
Last night I took the Technician License Test and passed. That should keep me legal with a "scanner", mobile or handheld, in the vehicle. The Examiner said it would be a week or two before I would find my license listed in the FCC database, but in the meantime, I will probably be out looking for a "scanner." Thinking about making up some window stickers that read "scanner on board" in bright, contrasting colors(I can do that, I'm a printer). Hopefully, the new license will apply to the current, "internal" scanner.  ;D

INprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »
Last night I took the Technician License Test and passed. That should keep me legal with a "scanner", mobile or handheld, in the vehicle. The Examiner said it would be a week or two before I would find my license listed in the FCC database, but in the meantime, I will probably be out looking for a "scanner." Thinking about making up some window stickers that read "scanner on board" in bright, contrasting colors(I can do that, I'm a printer). Hopefully, the new license will apply to the current, "internal" scanner.  ;D

INprinter

You are in the "database" you just didn't know it.   ;D  Oh, thats something else.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »

INprinter
Congrats!

I wonder if the Feds still have my non-commercial radio broadcaster license on file. Supposedly, it was a life-time license.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 11:30:03 AM »
Congrats!

I wonder if the Feds still have my non-commercial radio broadcaster license on file. Supposedly, it was a life-time license.

The FCC website checks for all license types. You can search a lot of different ways as well.

INprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 01:01:29 PM »
Congrats!

Check at the following URL(FCC Website). http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp  You can check commercial licenses as well.

INprinter

bosworthj

• Conductor
  • P42/P40 Collector
Commercial Licenses No More
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 07:02:41 AM »
In its wisdom a few years ago, Uncle Charlie eliminated the various classes of commercial radiotelephone licenses and purged their databases.  The same thing happened with the amateur advanced ticket.  But who knows, maybe you do still exist in some file somewhere.  Ask the Muncie police, they probably have dossiers on all of us.
Without world class trains and internet, Indiana is failing as a sucessful competitor in the 21st Century.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 08:43:23 AM »
You are in the "database" you just didn't know it.   ;D  Oh, thats something else.

The "Camo Dudes" in the white p/u truck probably have my picture as well in their database. Next time I'm taking his picture. ;D

INprinter

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
  • Notch eight and sanding!
Re: Commercial Licenses No More
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 08:27:37 PM »
In its wisdom a few years ago, Uncle Charlie eliminated the various classes of commercial radiotelephone licenses and purged their databases.  The same thing happened with the amateur advanced ticket.  But who knows, maybe you do still exist in some file somewhere.  Ask the Muncie police, they probably have dossiers on all of us.
Got my general class commercial license back in 1984.  Just checked the FCC database and I was still in it.  Go figure.  It was for life when they issued it.
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 10:28:32 AM »
I was licensed through my employer, I thought for life.  It appears I've been purged. >:(
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

kofte

• Brakeman
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 04:43:27 PM »
Looks like they purged me, too.  I worked as a DJ at a 1000Watt AM daytimer while in high school in the early 1980s.  Great job, but lousy pay for the full-time folks.  I worked part-time and didn't mind what they gave me--easier than flipping burgers :-).  I remember getting a ?3d class commercial? or something like that--just enough so I could talk over the air.  Little-bitty card.

david

bosworthj

• Conductor
  • P42/P40 Collector
Dumbed Down Commercial Licensing
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 01:03:05 PM »
My opinion of the FCC is poor.  It represents perhaps the most egregious example of the corruption of a government agency by power and money.  A watchdog agency that was initially established just to coordinate frequencies and protect consumers against radio interference has become just the opposite.  Look at the back-door attempts by a rich hedge-fund manager to take over the GPS satellite channels for a high powered cell phone network as a prime example of what is wrong with this agency.  But, that is political talk, I suppose, and not for this venue.

My recollection of the commercial license structure was that the third class ticket was required of airplane pilots and radio announcers of all type.  It didn't require much of an exam, that I can recall.  Shipboard radio operators had to pass a code test and get a radiotelegraph endorsement.  Guys that worked on aircraft radios had to have at least a second class radiotelephone, and to fix busted TV's or sit all night at the TV station or AM broadcast station to watch the transmitter required a first class.  There were pretty difficult written exams.  I don't believe anything was required of railroad employees, but I could be mistaken about that.  There was an expiration period on the licenses, and they had to be renewed, was it five year intervals, or ten, I don't remember.

Anyway, the whole system was "streamlined" at some point.  If you had worked your butt off to pass the first or second class, your license was dumbed down, and you got a "general" ticket that was good for life.  If you were a third, I don't think you got squat.  Requirements to have any license to fly a plane or run a radio or TV station were pretty much eliminated.  The justification was that the available equipment today is good enough to monitor itself, and doesn't need human intervention.
Without world class trains and internet, Indiana is failing as a sucessful competitor in the 21st Century.

Al Corwin

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 01:57:59 PM »
Right.....I got my First Class Radiotelephone with Ship Radar Endorsement in 1961.  It took all day to test for it.    Now, with that and a $1.25 you can get a cup of coffee.   Al

Bill

• Conductor
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 08:11:31 PM »
Where can you get coffee for $1.25?? ???