Author Topic: Audio Streaming question  (Read 3122 times)

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: Audio Streaming question
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »
You're not alone.  ;D
I thought something wasn't right when I was hearing Aldamont and the 105.# detector. I'm like...What?!  :o

I was getting some pretty good skip at work last night.  Every time someone in Vincennes toned up the dispatcher it came in loud and clear.  I can usually hear the UP's Dispatcher up near Chicago Heights most nights too, but this was a first hearing something from Vincennes.

Practice Safe CSX

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 10:09:33 AM »
You're not alone.  ;D
I thought something wasn't right when I was hearing Aldamont and the 105.# detector. I'm like...What?!  :o

Didn't Indyspy say that he had worked on his scanner the other day?

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »
We got one of those BLOCKBUSTER openings. This was not tropospheric ducting, but an extremely rare and extrmely strong Sporadic E opening. These are the openings that turn the VHF bands into absolute bedlam. Instead of 100 miles away, you get 200 to 300 miles sometimes.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 04:08:23 PM »
I was listening to CSX ID talk trains through CP153?
We had nice skips on the ATCS Muncie server too.

The best one was listening to the Chicago Line NS dispatcher give time at CP412 I think he said.
Listened to the Marion branch most of the night as well as this morning when i got up.
Radio killed off around 10am, same with ATCS, the distance just dropped with the heating of the morning.

Minicooper

• Dispatcher
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 05:49:57 PM »
Speaking of the ATCS, we were getting hits on addresses that weren't even named, not sure where they were coming from but some of them had multiple hits on them. It was nice to see West Montpelier up for as long as it was and to see a new one come up in West Richmond. Even Alexandria came on board for a while. Never got that one before... Oh, West Royerton had one hit for it. First time it's been up in a week... I kind of wonder what we could get with a better antenna and maybe a booster?

shane_man15

• Mogul
  • Back to building quality Honda products again.
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 05:52:35 PM »
Speaking of the ATCS, we were getting hits on addresses that weren't even named, not sure where they were coming from but some of them had multiple hits on them. It was nice to see West Montpelier up for as long as it was and to see a new one come up in West Richmond. Even Alexandria came on board for a while. Never got that one before... Oh, West Royerton had one hit for it. First time it's been up in a week... I kind of wonder what we could get with a better antenna and maybe a booster?
Better antenna, booster, 300 ft antenna tower. ;D
Shane Smiley (shane_man15)

Modeler of the Muncie, Richmond, and Fernald Railway.
Train horns are also my thing.

GIMME A CORVETTE ALREADY!

bosworthj

• Conductor
  • P42/P40 Collector
ATCS Skip?
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 04:13:31 PM »
Didn't think the ATCS 800 mhz channels were bothered that much by "skip."

The lo band dispatcher and road channels were sure wild yesterday.
Without world class trains and internet, Indiana is failing as a sucessful competitor in the 21st Century.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 10:14:41 PM »
900mhz will tropo skip before VHF will, but it's unaffected by Sporadic E.

We were getting some blockbuster tropo the other night.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 11:50:18 PM »
My server was picking up BCP's from Athens and Falkville AL.  Nashville, Ridgetop, Peytonsville, Fosterville & Sadlers TN. Wellington, IL.
One MCP was CR drawbridge. It was an awesome night for the ATCS. We had the CE&D lit up except for the rough terrain at Hillsdale.  I've also noticed when thunderstorms are in the region, they will cause some skip.

bosworthj

• Conductor
  • P42/P40 Collector
Code Streaming question
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 10:22:22 AM »
Are you using a directional antenna?  Just curious.  I remember years ago that once and a while a lower UHF TV station would experience skip, but most commonly it only happened on the lower (now gone) VHF channels 2-6.  It seemed like when there was an opening, it moved across all channels eventually, sometimes all at once, sometimes progressively.

It would seem like the code stream monitoring display would definitely be a good method of monitoring propagation at thos frequencies.  I have been using the amateur packet system for watching VHF propagation for a long time, and they have recently improved their maps significantly.

Lots of fun when one has spare time!
Without world class trains and internet, Indiana is failing as a sucessful competitor in the 21st Century.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2011, 09:36:38 PM »
I'm using a Cushcraft 4db omni.
This evening I am really hauling in Evansville and Kentucky MCP & BCP's. Must be from the rain this evening. Getting Ft. Cambell, Arklow, Hanson and several other Henderson Sub control points.