Author Topic: future upgraded former Big Four route?  (Read 1934 times)

christian hostetler(Guest)

future upgraded former Big Four route?
« on: April 25, 2006, 05:05:14 PM »
I saw on the morning news that possibly toyota was looking at adding a plant in either greensburg or batesville. I live at the end of the CIND line that would service this plant. this line is the former big four route from cincinatti to indianapolis. At this point in shelbyville we have 5 CSX trains and 3 CIND trains from cincinatti per week. If toyota would build a new plant near greensburg or batesville, could we see a norfolk Southern purchase of the line and a rebuilding of the line to mainline standards? And could we see Amtrak run on this line rather than the CSX former b&O route, this route is about 20 miles shorter and as far as I know there are no heigth restrictions like on the B&O line in hamilton, OH? I hope it is toyota that is looking at these posible sights.

MONON C420

Cheviot_Hill

• Dispatcher
Re:  future upgraded former Big Four route?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 09:06:32 PM »
 Hello from the other end of the line. If this is who the "unknown" company that I've been hearing about settling in the Greensburg/Batesville area it would be fantastic news for the line. Lets say it is, would they rebuild the entire line from Cincy to Indy?

Why would NS buy the line? Is it for sale? Rail America has been advertising this line for years as a seamless connection with other Rail America lines in Indiana.

If you have noticed the I&O has been replacing alot of ties and laying new ballast in the Cincinnati area. It's nice to see straight rail. My question is are they in the process of already rebuilding the line from Cincinnati to Indianapolis?

As far as Amtrak running on it, who knows. I know the state of Indiana stepped in years ago to stop the abandonment of the line. It is on the list of lines to be used in the midwest high speed rail network.

Cross your fingers and pray that it's not a distribution company that uses trucks to haul their goods. >:(

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:48:59 AM »
I couldn't see NS getting this line, as it wouldn't tie into the rest of the system.  But stranger things have happened.  After all, the Southern did eye this line as part of the Final System Plan of Conrail, but it never came to be.

Amtrak.  Well the reason they have the current route was due in large part to 2 cities.  Hamilton and Oxford!  But I can't believe a great deal of todays college kids travel by rail.  

Kim_Heusel

• Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 09:04:09 AM »
What does Oxford have to do with Amtrak running the way it does from Indy to Cincy. Amtrak doesn't stop there now and I'm pretty sure it never did stop there. As for college kids using trains, other cities that have more convenient rail service do attract college students, but this line is far from convenient for this type of passenger and only runs three days per week.

Kim

Christian Hostetler(Guest)

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 03:32:36 PM »
Quote:
"Cross your fingers and pray that it's not a distribution company that uses trucks to haul their goods. "

AMEN!!!!!!!

I think the reason NS would purchase the line is because that from what i have heard NS and Toyota have a better relationship than with the other railroads and this line would allow auto racks taller than 20', The former B&O route to the north is hampered by a wooden bridge in hamilton ohio that is on the national register of historic places. also, this line would give amtrak the ability to do 60+ miles per hour because the line west of Lawrencburg is basically three long tangents and is flat. I think that more buisness would develop with better and faster service from Norfolk Southern.

Cheviot_Hill

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 11:42:16 PM »
Quote:
"Cross your fingers and pray that it's not a distribution company that uses trucks to haul their goods. "

AMEN!!!!!!!

I think the reason NS would purchase the line is because that from what i have heard NS and Toyota have a better relationship than with the other railroads and this line would allow auto racks taller than 20', The former B&O route to the north is hampered by a wooden bridge in hamilton ohio that is on the national register of historic places. also, this line would give amtrak the ability to do 60+ miles per hour because the line west of Lawrencburg is basically three long tangents and is flat. I think that more buisness would develop with better and faster service from Norfolk Southern.
If as you say it's Toyota that settles in Batesville/Greensburg area, forget about CSX they don't run through that area. I&O would be the only railroad in town.
Unless the I&O line (old NYC) is up for sale there is no way Rail America is going to sell something that would now be profitable. Who knows, stranger things have happened. Don't get me wrong, I have wondered what the line would have been like today if N&W or Southern have taken over the line back when Conrail was forming.
As far as why Amtrak uses the present routing between Cincinnati and Indianapolis. It's all that is left between the 2 cities. When FRA embargoed the NYC west of Cincinnati in 1973 or 1974 Amtrak used several routings until they settled on CSX Hamilton to Indianapolis. At one time passenger trains moved over the NYC upwards of 80 mph. According to the Midwest High Speed Initiative site, the old NYC line is to be used in speeds of upwards of 110 mph. That would take some major upgrading. That would make for an interesting topic some day.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 11:20:41 PM by Cheviot_Hill »

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 09:12:50 PM »
Never said they "stopped" in Oxford!  It also provided direct access into Cincy Union Terminal and didn't need the wood st connector.  Of which is gone now.