Author Topic: Railroad frequencies  (Read 15095 times)

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: Railroad frequencies
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 09:15:31 PM »
Thats interesting. Then why do I always here CYO out?

Because the crews call the CYO for the territory to report work performed, and times.  CYO inputs this into the computer, giving 'real time' information to customers and, more importantly, the billing department.  Takes the responsibility off the Conductor to input information into a computer, and hoping the information gets transmitted to a central processing point.

Practice Safe CSX

Rob

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »
I know CYO also monitors departing trains consists through the AEI scanner at Goshen, and often has missing or extra cars to report to crews right after they pass the scanner, most likely what's being heard. I do not know where the scanner west of Elkhart yard is located, but I would suppose they have one there too and monitor trains departing the west end too and report changes to trains there too.
Rob

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »
Use to be that every district had a handling agency for that line.  Back in the day, most towns had a depot with a clerk and agent that handled this.  Over the years, consolidation took place and it was down to 1 place on the district to handle all the paperwork. 

Here in the past 10 years, they pushed to do away with this local staffing and put everyone in one location, called the CYO and that is in Atlanta. 
So now you deal with people in Atlanta that handle all the paperwork as CSX_CO pointed out.

A crew departs a terminal on a local, they call CYO and give the departing info. 
A crew departs a terminal on a through freight and sets off cars at a siding in between destination, they call CYO to report this info.

Use to be you would just turn the info over at the end of your run to the agency in charge of your territory.  But you can't do that anymore!

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 01:09:04 PM »
And a local reports every set-off and pick-up to CYO, so the customer or connecting RR knows the cars are available/waiting or gone.  To shorten the radio traffic, crews can report head car number and trailing car number on long set-out and pick-ups.
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 07:43:53 PM »
Abengoa Biofuels-
Tie-in to EVWR Dispatcher Paducah-160.815
Facility Ops including switching-
http://www.cityfreq.com/callsign/wqku730.html

This post may have to be moved because its not labelled & its placement was a guess at best.
Dont put anything here that may upset a "mod".

bigjimtrains

• Fireman
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »
http://www.radioreference.com/
I found this place looking for some frequencies to put in my scanner

sataraid1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »
Does NS still use half-duplex train/dispatcher communication, with a separate road channel, on the Cincy-St Louis line?

IIRC:

AAR09     160.245    NS St. Louis disp to train
AAR48     160.830    NS St. Louis train to disp
AAR56     160.950    NS St. Louis Road

If not, what's the current setup?

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 02:49:20 PM »
As far as I know this oddball setup is still in use. I heard them using it a month ago.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

sleepyatc

• Engineer
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 10:19:22 AM »
what's a good scanner to get for the 1st time?

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2011, 10:25:20 AM »
what's a good scanner to get for the 1st time?

If you want a base scanner, the GRE is good.  I have the GRE400 at home, its nice.

sleepyatc

• Engineer
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »
Thanks

Fred O

Re: Railroad frequencies CIND
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 09:09:35 PM »

Coming down to Indiana next week railfanning, anybody know the CIND frequency for the Greensburg-Valley Jct line?
 Slao, is 160.995 the only freq for the Indiana Southern?
 Thanks

sataraid1

• Dispatcher
Re: Railroad frequencies CIND
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 11:17:06 PM »
Slao, is 160.995 the only freq for the Indiana Southern?

Yes.

joe992af

• Brakeman
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 05:22:36 PM »
Anyone know the frequency for WBCR?

[edit: WBCR=Wabash Central]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:19:04 PM by indrr »

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 06:10:48 PM »
I've only heard them use the NS New Castle District 160.44, since to do anything but go West to VanBuren, they have to get permission from NS to occupy the main.

They "should" have their own frequency, but rarely use it.
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

big_amish

• Dispatcher
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 05:43:06 AM »
I know CYO also monitors departing trains consists through the AEI scanner at Goshen, and often has missing or extra cars to report to crews right after they pass the scanner, most likely what's being heard. I do not know where the scanner west of Elkhart yard is located, but I would suppose they have one there too and monitor trains departing the west end too and report changes to trains there too.
Scanner is at MP 431 in Mishawaka near Byrkit St crossing.

bamx2

• Brakeman
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 07:26:59 AM »
I am programming a new radio, and have gathered frequencies from a million places, including looking at what the FCC licenses are. I drive routinely from Muncie to Indy. Can someone look over this and see if it looks right, and if I am missing anything glaring?

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 08:31:51 AM »
I am programming a new radio, and have gathered frequencies from a million places, including looking at what the FCC licenses are. I drive routinely from Muncie to Indy. Can someone look over this and see if it looks right, and if I am missing anything glaring?

Ohh the top of my head, you have 160.800 twice.

LIRC is 160.725, you have the INRD freq for the LIRC freq

You can sometimes hear the ISRR in Indy on 160.995

161.115 is almost never used by NS anymore, I have't seen a VHF fred in years. Now there are still dual band NS freds and head end units, but they are almost never set in NS mode anymore.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

bamx2

• Brakeman
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2014, 08:34:56 AM »

Ohh the top of my head, you have 160.800 twice.

LIRC is 160.725, you have the INRD freq for the LIRC freq

You can sometimes hear the ISRR in Indy on 160.995

161.115 is almost never used by NS anymore, I have't seen a VHF fred in years. Now there are still dual band NS freds and head end units, but they are almost never set in NS mode anymore.

Thanks. There are so many sources out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mononradio

• Conductor
Lafayette NS now on channel 50
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »
The NS Decatur dispatcher has moved from channel 22 to channel 50 for the Lafayette District.  Not sure why the change or exactly when it happened, but it is now 160.86.

This is in addition to some other recent adds, with the Genessee & Wyoming now on channel 59 for switching the Magnetation plant at Reynolds and some other stray transmissions popping up on 49.
(Even though Magnetation has filed gone bankrupt in order to get out from under many of its financial commitments, it is still operating the plant at around half capacity.  BNSF power is still doing the honors apparently.