Author Topic: Bridge near Girl School Road  (Read 2615 times)

itm426

• Dispatcher
Bridge near Girl School Road
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:05:34 PM »
This was taken a few years ago by my sister, when we hiked a mile through brush to get some photos of this bridge. I do not know what Rail Road this is, but am curious of what ran here. It's on the Southside? of Indianapolis a bit, by Girl School Road, near the girl's jail. I don't have much information on this bridge, just this photo. It's over the White River if I recall right.

speedyd

• Dispatcher
Re: Bridge near Girl School Road
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »
Girls School Road is on the west side of town. It runs North of the Airport to Crawfordsville road. The white river runs though downtown Indy towards the south west.

Their no connection to River & Girls School Road. Do you have a better ideal of location.
High & Dry Line

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:03:18 PM »
Girls School Road is on the west side of town. It runs North of the Airport to Crawfordsville road. The white river runs though downtown Indy towards the south west.

Their no connection to River & Girls School Road. Do you have a better ideal of location.

My guess is Eagle Creek?  Which would make that the P&E bridge over Eagle Creek?  Seems this topic has been brought up in the past on here somewhere, with considerably more insight?

Practice Safe CSX

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 03:09:06 PM »
That looks like my single pedestal table in the middle of the bridge???

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

arobb00

• Superintendent
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 04:34:43 PM »
I am pretty sure this bridge is the one near the intersection of Crawfordsville Rd and High School Rd, which after rounding the corner after crossing Crawfordsville Rd, intersects with Girls School Rd. Not sure what the water way is, some creek or another. It is the line which used to run thru Speedway along Crawfordsville Rd. Also not sure of the railroad; B&O I think?? I-465 crosses over a creek right before the exit to Crawfordsville Rd/I-74; the RR ran along the creek under the interstate. It is definitely on the West Side.

arobb00

• Superintendent
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 04:40:57 PM »
It is just east of the intersection of Girls School and Crawfordsville Rd. My road name memory was a bit off. You can see it on aerial views on Google Maps or Mapquest; the former RR right of way is listed as CSX.

AMTK24

• Superintendent
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 05:00:55 PM »
Yep, that's the old P&E.  I think there is at least one more around there.

itm426

• Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 02:42:40 AM »
Okay. Thanks everybody. This was taken in 2006 or 2007 I think, so it's been a couple years and lost my bearings on where it was.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:54:22 AM »
Yup, it's the P&E. I remember tracks up there at one time, albeit unused.

The P&E used to serve the Indiana Girls School power plant. The switch to the plant was spiked so the only movement was in the facility, as the tracks west were o/s/ I recall seeing a Conrail SW pushing a coal hopper over that bridge and then across GS Rd.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:36:03 PM by IU_Tower »

storrs19

• President
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 09:48:28 AM »
The P&E timetable from 1974 shows the track out of service from Clermont to Girls School Road so I assumed they serviced this from the downtown Indianapolis side?  Not sure since I wasn't there.  That table looks so odd just sitting there.  I guess you could bring a couple of folding chairs and have a game of cards but I'd be afraid the rotting crossties would give way under my massive profile, LOL!
Following the remains of the B&O in Southern Indiana

itm426

• Dispatcher
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 08:37:31 PM »
We walked across the bridge, and the crossties are in good condition it seems, or at least a few years ago. We were not really scared of it at all.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »
I believe this track also connected or was the same as the rails that fed into Allisons Gas Turbine.  I believe the tracks were removed in 81ish.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 08:38:10 AM »
I believe this track also connected or was the same as the rails that fed into Allisons Gas Turbine.  I believe the tracks were removed in 81ish.

I think Allison was served by the B&O, not the P&E.

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 07:48:40 PM »
The B & O ran under Girls School road just south of 22nd street.
High & Dry Line

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 09:30:36 AM »
The B & O ran under Girls School road just south of 22nd street.

Actually, the overpass was between 10th and 21st. If I was to put a number on it, I'd say 19th. 

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 03:04:31 AM »
Yes, the bridge in question is indeed along the former P&E section that had been abandoned in favor of accessing the Clermont-Ames segment of the P&E via the I&F branch north from CP-Hunt.  I used to think this bridge was a remnant from the former Interurban route through this area, though (I grew up in Brownsburg).

Tom