Author Topic: Newer Railroad Museum  (Read 1109 times)

James Wolfe :)(Guest)

Newer Railroad Museum
« on: March 11, 2006, 09:51:40 PM »
If I may make an addition to the Indiana Rail museum list, then here goes.

http://www.mononconnection.com  This museum is somewhat new, maybe a couple years being put together. The inside of their building is stuffed full of hard to find artifacts from many Railroad lines.

They serve very good food there also.

Thanks for reading this post.

bando1473

• Brakeman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Newer Railroad Museum
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 11:29:43 AM »
Been there..   Nice place.   No Junk.  Very good collection and most of it is documented. It's well worth a three hour drive on sunday afternoon.  Take the wife and grandkids.  Where did they find those old freight cars setting at the south edge of the property?

Al

wolfeden

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
Re: Newer Railroad Museum
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 04:30:07 PM »
If memory serves me correctly, one or maybe both of the cars were actually inside of an old barn
in Monticello, Indiana. The cars were used to store livestock feed. The meseum manager and I used to work together before the museum got underway. He also told me that part of the deal was that they had to dismantle the old barn to remove the cars from inside of it. That ordeal took some time, but the rewards are what you see.

The museum also has another wooden car at the stone quarry still on the siding along with several side dump cars.  If their webmaster ever gets off of his duff, he will get over there and get some photos of those also. They have possesion of a Monon caboose at the Kentucky Rail museum that will be moving sometime in the near future.  I need to get down to the Connection and grab some updates soon.

Terry also tells me that from time to time he will come to work and find some railroad item in front
with a note attached. People seem to drop things off at random. The museum is getting to be much more then a private collection.

Regards to all
Jim Wolfe