Author Topic: Lagro, Indiana Interurban Depot Photo  (Read 2095 times)

wabash2800

• Dispatcher
Lagro, Indiana Interurban Depot Photo
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:30:12 PM »
I was out there the other day and photographed the old interurban depot. It looks to be well taken care of and someone was working as I heard hammering from outside. Perhaps they are going to put some kind of business in it?

The right-of-way to the East seemed to beckon for the laying of track and hanging of wire. Anyway, you couldn't build to Huntington on the old right-of-way anymore as the realigned 24 has take some of it up. Also, crossing the NS mainline east of Lagro would be a no, no. too.

OK, I can dream can't I?

Lagro, must have been one nifty place back it its time with the Wabash mainline, Interurban, remnants of the canal locks and the Wabash River. Today it seem to have quite a few taverns for a small town. And many of the old houses have been neglected.

Jo

Re: Lagro, Indiana Interurban Depot Photo
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
My mother purchased this Interurban building and has restored it.  Do you have more information on it?  There is now a Collectibles/Antique store on one side and an Ice Cream/Hot Dog shop on the other side.  It's really beautiful!!

robert_b1

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:40:42 PM »
Tell your mother that I appreciate all of her work and effort.

The Fort Wayne and Wabash Valley Traction Co. (FW&WB) line along the Wabash River served the communities of Ft Wayne, Huntington, Andrews, Wabash, Peru, Logansport, Delphi, and Lafayette.  It was later acquired by the Indiana Service Corp (ISC).

Here is a map showing this and other lines in Indiana...
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/INCORP/interurbanrail/map.html

There exists another rather large remnant of another line (the Union Traction Company of Indiana) in nearby La Fontaine.  It was either a power station or a sub-station -- converting AC power which could run over long distances to Direct Current.     

The car barns of the UTC still exist in Marion -- near 33rd and Home Ave.

Eel_River

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 01:11:11 PM »
This is what the depot and substation looked like when in service.  The canal is in back.  No town anywhere in sight.

INprinter

• The Working Man from Shelbyville!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • K9SVL
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
This is what the depot and substation looked like when in service.  The canal is in back.  No town anywhere in sight.

Although the shadows are heavy behind the building in the first picture, sort of looks like the outhouse might still be there.

INprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

robert_b1

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 02:29:10 PM »
Looking through my notes --
More Remnants of The Fort Wayne and Wabash Valley Traction Co. (FW&WB) line...

Huntington
Storefront Depot, 33 W Market St
Bridge Abutments, over Clear Creek
Concrete Arch Bridge over Silver Creek, approx. 3 miles west of Huntington

Peru
Red Brick Power Substation, Old Stone Rd, approx 2 miles west of Peru

Howard

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 09:50:41 PM »
A set of abutments disappeared when US-24 was four laned.  I'm pretty sure that was Clear Creek.

Howard

JGN

• Superintendent
  • Interested in all Rail History!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 10:27:28 PM »
Looking through my notes --
More Remnants of The Fort Wayne and Wabash Valley Traction Co. (FW&WB) line...

Huntington
Storefront Depot, 33 W Market St
Bridge Abutments, over Clear Creek
Concrete Arch Bridge over Silver Creek, approx. 3 miles west of Huntington

Peru
Red Brick Power Substation, Old Stone Rd, approx 2 miles west of Peru

Arch Bridge over Silver Creek should also be known as an Aqueduct for the old canal made of limestone blocks (Not Concrete) dating probably back to the 1830's era. Prior to the new US 24 alignment, there was another concrete bridge with ornate concrete side rails just west of the aquaduct over a small ditch nearest the last house on the abandoned section of old 24 that was probably destoyed during highway construction and was on the old interuban right of way.
I agree, the Clear Creak remnants may be gone.
There are many bridge abutments surviving along the old Ft. Wayne and Wabash Valley route that I have seen including US 24 at West Hamilton Road in Allen County, Lagro Creek just East of the old depot and near the canal lock, many areas beside old US 24 between Wabash and Peru, East end of Tall Sycamore Campground property in Cass County, and many other areas from Logansport to Lafayette.  It is good to hear the Lagro depot is being used again, it is quite a gem. Reminds me of the Delphi depot very much, Jay.

ns9957

• Brakeman
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 01:06:01 PM »
My dad and I went here on April 6. The ROW to the east can still easily be traced down. Not far to the east is the Wabash & Erie canal lock. Right next to it is a set of interurban piers (both fully intact with bolts and everything) over a tributary off the Wabash River. There are actually several piers over the streams between Lagro and Wabash.

connie

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »
My Grandfather's brother, Fred Harrell, was, at one time, the interurban ticket master.  His home is still standing east of the station.  When I was a child, I can remember walking to the station with my Grandfather Harrell (Joe) at which time another Harrell brother (Frank) had a appliance store in the building.  I have been to the station since Pelfrey's have remodeled it and it is really nice.  They sell Lagro souvenirs, collectibles and in the summer time, there is an ice cream shop also.  So glad they revived a Lagro "treasure".