Author Topic: INRD Excursion by BantaRail Nov 14 Revised 7/28  (Read 8286 times)

BantaRail

• Superintendent
Re: INRD Excursion by BantaRail Nov 14 Revised 7/28
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 01:50:30 PM »
                Answer to guestion received;  What is the FOOD!!!!!
Ham, Turkey, Roost Beef, Tuna Salad.
Sandwich cheese:  Cobby, Cobby Jack, Provolone.
Yellow & Gray Mustard, Hellsman Mayo, Kraft Mayo.  (One "Light" of each.)
White & Wheat Bread.
Carrots, Grapes, Celery  (washed thoroughly
Cheese & Crackers, ( Low salt and regular crackers).
Dips & Chips.
Strawberries, short cake, cool whip.
Peanuts (Cashews only),  Pretzels.
Shrimp
Chocolates, Candy, cookies, cakes, pies.  (Some are home made by regular passengers)
Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Coke Diet Coke, Dr Pepper, Diet Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Bottled Water, Vitamin Flavored Water.
Sweet Tea, Unsweet Tea.

dubiousfrogshit

• Engineer
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2010, 06:30:13 PM »
Someone on another thread asked for timings for the train

My guess is

Hiawatha Yard        0900
Van Yard                1000
Duke Energy          1030/45   (Rev)
Van Yard                1115
Hiawatha               1215
Midland Jn             1230
Dugger                  1245
Bear Run               1300/30   (Rev or run round loop)
Dugger                  1345
Linton                    1400
Elnora    (Rev)        1445/1500 (Rev)
Linton                    1530
Midland Jn              1545
Hiawatha Yard        1600

Please note that timings are unofficial and at best guestimates based on my knowledge of line speeds and operating conditions. They do not take into account photostops or pathing priorities and may be wildly inaccurate.

However, they do indicate the approximate running times between the stated points and may be of use to some folks unfamiliar with the INRD. I also guess the motive power will be 3803 top'n tail with 3805 (as they are the cleanest GP38's).

Enjoy your day tomorrow. I will be by the lineside so smile for the camera!

Andrew
Closely Observed Trains
Bloomington, IN.

Brian W

• Superintendent
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2010, 05:14:33 AM »
Andrew, Tom and I will hopefully be chasing too. See you out there somewhere.

Enjoy your day tomorrow. I will be by the lineside so smile for the camera!

Andrew
I waste more pixels before 9 am than most people do all day.

My photos on flickr
http://www.flickr.com/trainchaser

dubiousfrogshit

• Engineer
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 03:34:49 AM »
What a grand day out!

I was torn between riding the train and photographing it. In the end, the photographer in me won! (and the wife mentioned something about Christmas cash-flow!)

Thanks to Brian for organising such an interesting itinerary, the exemplory performance by the locomotive engineers (you know who you are!) for ensuring the "frogmobile" was taxed to its limits in keeping up with you, and all else involved behind the scenes. I will ensure the Santa Train Fund is suitably compensated for my lack of attendance (just don't tell the wife!)

Images are online at http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiveThumbs.aspx?id=62124

I hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I did taking them.

Andrew Pearce

BTW - If anyone would like a full sized JPG or RAW copy for their album, please contact me direct. Donations welcome which will be forwarded to the INRD Santa Train Fund.
Closely Observed Trains
Bloomington, IN.

BantaRail

• Superintendent
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2010, 06:48:46 AM »
Thanks for the pics.
I am glad you decided to take the pics, and the "Santa Fund" was not shorted by you not riding.
Because the passengers DONATED an ADDITIONAL $801 IN CASH (and one check) on the train.
Until I audit the funds, a quick guess of around $6,000+/- after expenses was raised, more then the previous by $2,000+/-.
The INRD added additional trackage beyond Odon to Burn City (Crane) and we got on the Bear Run Mine which was not sure would happen.   
Seeing one of the BIG Drag Lines (what ever the title?) working was COOL.

Going at "walking speed"  across the Wabash and the White Rivers was great for viewing. This was by request and NOT because of track / bridge condition.     

Only negative was for the first time I did not have enough FOOD, these passengers ATE !!!!!!!!!!!!
Totally destroyed my calculating formula for the ratio of food to passengers !!!!!!!!!!

Everything went great, thanks as always to the staff of INRD.

Santini

• Dispatcher
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2010, 07:35:20 AM »
Due to work schedules, I had to opt for chasing the train too, but will make sure I contribute somehow to the Santa Train program.  Have posted a few photos to the Modern Photos category and will be posting more soon.  As for the food problem, I know at least one of the riders has a farm along the CE&D....maybe he can grow a few sandwiches for future excursions!!!!   ;D

PS - If you wish to use any photos to help promote future trips, etc., no problem...let me know and I will get them to you!

Best wishes,

Tom
"It's not my fault I was drawn at 28 dpi!"

UPkid

• Conductor
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2010, 08:34:40 AM »
Brian, you did one heck of a job getting this set up.. Everybody on that train was very happy and was having a great time..  I hope INDR will let you do it again next year..  I am so ready to go again...  Thanks Brian for all the hard work...  ;)
What I would do, to be in North Platte, seeing 150 + Union Pacific trains a day... Also a fan of the INRD...

BantaRail

• Superintendent
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2010, 10:04:16 AM »
INRD already emailed me today and said when ever I am ready to plan next years to contact them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will meet with them in  January.
Plan is to departure Indianapolis, 9:00 am.
The 1st or 2nd Sunday in November... 
See you all next year...
Brian

dubiousfrogshit

• Engineer
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2010, 10:24:35 AM »
Shame you are not thinking about heading towards Palestine and Illinois Brian (IMHO), but how about throwing the Rogers Quarry branch into the mix?
Closely Observed Trains
Bloomington, IN.

BantaRail

• Superintendent
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2010, 02:31:13 PM »
In 2008 went from Linton to end of line in Illinois.
In 2007 went from Indy to Rogers Quarry.

I will be rotating the routes, as long as INRD allows me to run, so all routes will be
done again.

mvoll

• Brakeman
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2010, 05:06:29 PM »
My daughter and her friend really enjoyed the trip.  They had no idea there were people that were so interested in trains, so they enjoyed listening to everyone talk. The train ride was lovely as well.  Next year hubby and I are doing the trip, and we are already looking forward to it.  Thank you.

RCB

• Brakeman
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2010, 05:50:38 PM »
Thanks again Brian for all the hard work. My wife and I had an excellent time and would certainly be up for another such excursion!

hytwr1

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2010, 06:47:30 PM »

Thanks for the pics.
I am glad you decided to take the pics, and the "Santa Fund" was not shorted by you not riding.
Because the passengers DONATED an ADDITIONAL $801 IN CASH (and one check) on the train.
Until I audit the funds, a quick guess of around $6,000+/- after expenses was raised, more then the previous by $2,000+/-.
The INRD added additional trackage beyond Odon to Burn City (Crane) and we got on the Bear Run Mine which was not sure would happen.   
Seeing one of the BIG Drag Lines (what ever the title?) working was COOL.

Going at "walking speed"  across the Wabash and the White Rivers was great for viewing. This was by request and NOT because of track / bridge condition.     

Only negative was for the first time I did not have enough FOOD, these passengers ATE !!!!!!!!!!!!
Totally destroyed my calculating formula for the ratio of food to passengers !!!!!!!!!!

Everything went great, thanks as always to the staff of INRD.

While the others may have ate alot, we did not. It was a nice trip but the lack of food made it miserable for those of us in the OBS car 1389, who were told to wait our turn only to find no meat for sandwiches and were standing in line for crumbs while we rolled down the main missing scenery along the way. This tells us the folks who ate first took much more than a first course. Very frustrating yet we still contributed to the pass-the-hat fund! We suggest limiting the first trip to the buffet next time or serve boxed lunches so everybody gets one.

Bill

BantaRail

• Superintendent
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2010, 07:32:01 PM »
I agree Bill, it is amazing how selfish, greedy, etc.... that some adults are.    THANKS BILL this gives the chance to SOUND OFF>>>>>. 
Others had suggested the "Box Lunches" also,  something has to change so that everyone gets equal food. 
I know I WOULD NOT HAVE been happy, would have been %#@&#% !!!!!
Some told me that they saw some go for second meals (not at the same time), before everyone got theirs..
One had enough meat for three sandwiches, I saw.
Deciding of informing two,  that they ARE NOT WELCOME BACK (In other words, banded from future trips).

OR may just drop the meal (meat part) completely and just have the dips/chips, carrots, grapes, celery, cheese/crackers.
With the baked goods.   The "Meat" is the most expensive part.  So lower the price to $60 and inform everyone EAT BREAKFAST or bring your food.
This would be better for me also.

The strawberries/short cake was just as bad, one person had enough strawberries for three people and I AM NOT joking. 

There was drinks that was trashed that felt completely FULL, maybe only a few sips out of it....do not understand this either...TOTAL WASTE.
This is why I do not allow kids, but I some anyway.

Also going back to TWO WEEK cut off for payments, adding the 4th car was a mistake (O.K. after the donations) Will only add cars if total cost already PAID FOR.    There WAS a lot of folks said they were sending the money BUT NEVER did.   SO NO MORE of this.   
Again thanks Bill, I was being P.C., was going to make changes without saying anything.         

hytwr1

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2010, 08:26:52 PM »
I agree Bill, it is amazing how selfish, greedy, etc.... that some adults are.    THANKS BILL this gives the chance to SOUND OFF>>>>>. 
Others had suggested the "Box Lunches" also,  something has to change so that everyone gets equal food. 
I know I WOULD NOT HAVE been happy, would have been %#@&#% !!!!!
Some told me that they saw some go for second meals (not at the same time), before everyone got theirs..
One had enough meat for three sandwiches, I saw.
Deciding of informing two,  that they ARE NOT WELCOME BACK (In other words, banded from future trips).

OR may just drop the meal (meat part) completely and just have the dips/chips, carrots, grapes, celery, cheese/crackers.
With the baked goods.   The "Meat" is the most expensive part.  So lower the price to $60 and inform everyone EAT BREAKFAST or bring your food.
This would be better for me also.

The strawberries/short cake was just as bad, one person had enough strawberries for three people and I AM NOT joking. 

There was drinks that was trashed that felt completely FULL, maybe only a few sips out of it....do not understand this either...TOTAL WASTE.
This is why I do not allow kids, but I some anyway.

Also going back to TWO WEEK cut off for payments, adding the 4th car was a mistake (O.K. after the donations) Will only add cars if total cost already PAID FOR.    There WAS a lot of folks said they were sending the money BUT NEVER did.   SO NO MORE of this.   
Again thanks Bill, I was being P.C., was going to make changes without saying anything.         

Sorry to rant but had to vent. I could tell you had your hands full. Do you run these trips by yourself? I realize INRD supplies the operating folks but is the logistics all you? Been there and done that...can feel your pain.

Bill

BantaRail

• Superintendent
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2010, 09:22:58 PM »
Yes, I take care of everything.  In the past early years, allowed assistance, but spent more time communicating with them than it was worth, it is easier to do it myself.   

Forget a few thinks every time, but only I know it, most of the time.

This way I can only blame myself if something is not right, this is why the food shortage made me mad, because the calculation I used always worked.  This was the first time it did not.  Always have some greedy folks on every trip, but allowed for it.  I have not checked my calculations, must have made a mistake.  But cannot find the work sheet to check it.  (I got papers all over my office floor, desk, any flat spot is covered up)

Food is have of any event, it can make it a positive or negative experience.
I like the "Food Bar", but I do not want this to happen again, and do not want to spend too much money, because every dollar spent comes from the Santa Train Funds raised.
Brian               

dubiousfrogshit

• Engineer
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2010, 07:00:37 PM »
If you want to see excess to the extreme, try attending the Bloomington beer festival in November, where a thousand (mainly) students who have paid $30.00 for a ticket will do their utmost to consume $30.00 worth (or more) of beer in three hours flat! It's not a pretty sight.

I can cite another example where a decent quality restaurant was not doing too well with their lunchtime trade. Reluctantly, they decided to go over to an "all you can eat" buffet, dispensing microwavable crap and the leftovers from the previous evening's service. Predictably, business boomed.

The tendency towards gluttony sadly overrides any sense of fair play with some and it's a shame in this case that a gallant effort was spoilt for some by what was probably a minority of travelers. 

However Brian. I would suggest you offer the same service next year, but in the light of experience buy a little more and warn customers that "when it's gone,it's gone!" suggesting that it's snacks only and that passengers may want to augment the goodies available on the train with their `1asown food and drinks.

UK railtours derive a substantial revenue from offering a "First Class dining option" where food is served at the seat for those who have paid for it. This allows better portion control and a generally better experience as passengers are not walking up and down the train with plates of grub. Regular punters in "steerage" have to pay by the bun so to speak, from a cash only buffet car.

Don't give up on the food though. Speaking as someone who has enjoyed on-train meals in more countries than I could count on both your hands and mine, the experience of eating whilst watching the countryside glide by is a wonderful and unforgettable experience. It would be a shame to allow a small minority to ruin what was evidently an excellently managed day out which gave a great deal of pleasure to the vast majority of your customers.

Andrew Pearce
Closely Observed Trains
Bloomington, IN.

BantaRail

• Superintendent
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2010, 08:15:07 AM »
Thanks Andrew for your point of view. 

One change is omit the Shrimp, it cost $60 just for the three trays and apply this to more meat which would have been a lot and everyone could of had a meal.  It cost like $5.90 a pound for the ham, so $60 of shrimp would have bought 10 lbs of ham.   

Brian

hallbf

• Conductor
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2010, 10:10:14 AM »
Perhaps for next year offer two food options.  Have a regular ticket price that includes just snacks/drinks.  Have a more expensive ticket price that gives you a boxed lunch.  It's more work on your end but perhaps it's an effective solution. 

I rode the train as an employee.  I'm glad everyone had a great time.  We really did work to make sure we got down to the Bear Run loop and go as far south as we could on the Chicago Subdivision. 

BantaRail

• Superintendent
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2010, 11:10:34 AM »
I am considering any suggestions anyone has,  have plenty of time to consider each or consolidation of them.
Will plan on first Sunday in November, 2011.
So far more suggestions of a "Box Lunch" type serving.