Author Topic: WWII Event at HVRM  (Read 981 times)

rbarcus

• Conductor
WWII Event at HVRM
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:52:50 PM »
The Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum in North Judson will host the Illiana Historical Association's World War II Event this weekend. Come out and enjoy all the excitement... and ride a train!

http://hvrm.railfan.net/ww2weekend.html
Bob Barcus, Treasurer
Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum
North Judson, Indiana
Home of C&O 2789

IU_Tower

• Mogul
Re: WWII Event at HVRM
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:23:38 PM »
Wow... the Illiana group has to copy events from everyone. Another reenacting organization had an event in Monticello, IL this past weekend. Same format.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 07:21:04 PM »
This is the second year for this event at the HVRM.  Other than that, I couldn't tell ya...

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Sorry for my rant. I just don't have too much respect for the Illiana Historical Society. Nothing ill was meant towards the HVRM or it's members.

It's a reenacting thing.

The event was held at Union, IL, not Monticello.

NDW5332

• Brakeman
  • Go Irish!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 10:14:11 PM »
I ended up taking my 3 year old son to the HVRM this Saturday, not knowing that the WWII weekend was taking place.  I wasn't that impressed with the re-enactment.  I thought that some of the re-enactors were somewhat cheesy in their portrayals with exaggerated "deaths".  The few Civil War re-enactments that I've watched were much more subdued and solemn.  I was also offended by the two guys, one dressed as Goering and the other as Rommel, going up to all of the little kids asking if they've seen "Uncle Adolf."  That's just not cool.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:49:33 AM »
I ended up taking my 3 year old son to the HVRM this Saturday, not knowing that the WWII weekend was taking place.  I wasn't that impressed with the re-enactment.  I thought that some of the re-enactors were somewhat cheesy in their portrayals with exaggerated "deaths".  The few Civil War re-enactments that I've watched were much more subdued and solemn.  I was also offended by the two guys, one dressed as Goering and the other as Rommel, going up to all of the little kids asking if they've seen "Uncle Adolf."  That's just not cool.

That's why I don't agree with the Illiana group. Most of those guys haven't got an idea what is in good taste.