Author Topic: IMC brush-clearing  (Read 105513 times)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
Re: IMC brush-clearing
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 08:13:33 AM »
Howard county and Hamilton country protested the cutting of the IMC from Kokomo to Tipton and from what I have heard from folks that attended the latest meeting held at Tri Central HS is that INDOT will now build a bridge over the IMC. 

I have heard same.  HOWEVER, if this first section of the new road crosses the IMC, INDOT has NOT made provisions for a bridge (at least it's not reflected in the bid information, meaning it will be a very expensive change order or it ain't happening).  I'm hoping that this section of the road stops short of the IMC and and the IMC will be dealt with on Phase 2 scheduled to go to bid on 8/4/10.   Phase 2 currently DOES NOT have a bridge over the IMC either, but it's still a few months out, so it can be modified to include bridge prior to bid packages going out.  Only bridges included in Phase 2 as currently scoped are over Wildcat Creek, Sycamore Road. US35/IN22/Markland, CERA (Komomo-Marion Line), and Stahl-Shenk Ditch. 
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

spheric1

• Brakeman
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2010, 04:17:51 AM »
From this map it appears that the section of 31 being bid on currently won't cross the IMC.  It looks like the section which crosses the IMC won't be bid on for a year an a half or more.

NSyorktown

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
IMC Brush-Clearing / Photos
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 04:53:01 AM »
Let me add a few photographs from the Muncie-to-Frankfort line (from the past month or so) as per clearing activities.

Crews have completely wiped-out the foliage under the older power-line poles on the north side of the Norfolk Southern line.

There is little left except sawdust . . . and a clear view of all our neighbor's homes that we never saw before!

Pic #1 (looking east): You can see how many trees used to be along the mainline by comparing the # of trees beyond the grade crossing

Pic #2 (poles): The poles along this stretch are among the oldest in the nation, so here's a new pole (on the ground) ready to install by an existing one

Pic #3 (looking west): Note the cleared-off section on the right side of the tracks, and the new poles are in place over by the Cammack (IN) crossing, left side of the pic.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:41:52 AM by NSyorktown »

monty

• Dispatcher
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2010, 09:08:09 PM »
Need a geography refresher.  The first phase of the new US 31 goes to bid this coming Wednesday (4/14).  This phase runs from 0.5 miles SOUTH of Indiana 26 to 2.5 miles SOUTH of Indiana 22.  Does this portion of the new highway stay SOUTH/WEST of the IMC, or will it be crossing the IMC.  Reason I ask is there is no provision for an bridge over the rail line IN THIS PORTION of the new road - only bridges are over Martin-Youngman Ditch, Scott-Youngman Ditch, Kokomo Creek, County Road 300 S, and a bridge for Indiana 26 over the new US 31.  And since this road is being build to Intersate Highway standards, I doubt they would put in a grade crossing.  I'm hoping this portion of the new highway simply just doesn't make it to the IMC right of way and there not something else getting ready to happen.    Although, I still think that a reactivation of the IMC and Kokomo Grain/WSRYs traffic moving Tipton  (from Marion) likely signals an end to Kokomo-Marion service - I could see CERA pulling out of Kokomo and operate out of Marion serving the elevators on line, cutting line between furthest west elevator and Kokomo.
Scrap, At 1/2 mile south of SR 26, the new US 31 is not quite to the IMC.  At SR 26, the new highway and the IMC are running somewhat prallel.  Crossing the IMC is in another contract which will start in 2011 at will run from 1/2 mile south of SR 26 and connect with the existing US 31 at 550N - 600 N in Tipton County.  The interchange of the new US 31 and SR 26 is about 3/4 mile east of the IMC and if you drive through you can see a lot of preliminary preparation for the new interchange.
monty

SeeFurReject

• Conductor
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 10:10:27 PM »
I have heard same.  HOWEVER, if this first section of the new road crosses the IMC, INDOT has NOT made provisions for a bridge (at least it's not reflected in the bid information, meaning it will be a very expensive change order or it ain't happening).  I'm hoping that this section of the road stops short of the IMC and and the IMC will be dealt with on Phase 2 scheduled to go to bid on 8/4/10.   Phase 2 currently DOES NOT have a bridge over the IMC either, but it's still a few months out, so it can be modified to include bridge prior to bid packages going out.  Only bridges included in Phase 2 as currently scoped are over Wildcat Creek, Sycamore Road. US35/IN22/Markland, CERA (Komomo-Marion Line), and Stahl-Shenk Ditch.  

Soooo...

Am I to understand that this is to be a bypass...of the bypass?  I wonder if we’ll litter it, in time, with retail hell like US 31/35 has succumbed to in the past 20 years?

From this map it appears that the section of 31 being bid on currently won't cross the IMC.  It looks like the section which crosses the IMC won't be bid on for a year an a half or more.

In “Contract 7”, where it notes a crossing of the CERA tracks at the north edge of town...are these tracks even still INTACT?!?!  Otherwise, why any mention of, or BOTHER, with a bridge over this abandoned rail line?  Assuming a bike path is in the eminent future, it seems like it would be easier AND cheaper to build the bike path OVER the highway!!

monty

• Dispatcher
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2010, 07:03:01 AM »
This "new US 31" is being built to interstate standards.  No at grade access (including railroads).  The CERA tracks up on the north end of Kokomo are still intact past the new Chrysler plants.  NS owned the land that Chrysler built on up there.
monty

monty

• Dispatcher
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2010, 10:33:11 PM »
I saw a couple of signal guys looking (working?) in a signal box along Home Avenue in Kokomo this morning.  They were working out of a typical looking white service truck with no company markings and were closing the box and hopping in the truck when I went by.  This was in WSRY rail territory, just north of NS turf (Chrysler plant).  WSRY acquired this segment from CERA last year, but there has been no rail activity on this section of the IMC at all for a few years.
monty

KCSLOVER94

• President
  • Kansas City Southern - The only original.
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2010, 03:04:13 PM »
I do hope this line opens up i live about 40 minutes from kokomo so this would help and i always hated seeing this line shut down
KCS-The Only Original

NS7112

• Dispatcher
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2010, 07:18:41 PM »
That is prolly a routine check even though nothing has been that way in awhile.  I'm with Central1751 and when I see new flashers going up south of Lincoln rd and the blacktop peeled off the crossings then I will begin to get excited!

Hoot

• Conductor
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2010, 10:21:34 PM »
Anyone notice NS has track maintenance positions open in Kokomo, IN on its website? This may tell something. ;D
Feed your head.

monty

• Dispatcher
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2010, 02:52:41 PM »
Winamac Southern IMC grade crossing at Defenbaugh Street in Kokomo is being re-built today.  It will be interesting to see how many rails are severed and how many kept at this location - which is where the Beltway diamond is located a hundred feet to the north.  I believe there are at least four sets of track at the street crossing here between the diamond and the wye, which is 100' to the south of Defenbaugh.

Again, there has not ben any revenue through this segment for a number of years.
monty

monty

• Dispatcher
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010, 06:26:54 PM »
Here is a cell phone picture of IMC at Defenbaugh Street.   
monty

frfolk

• Dispatcher
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2010, 06:52:23 PM »
Hope I don't jinx it, but the reconstruction of a crossing seems to be promising news... The reactivation of a dormant rail line would be about the most interesting thing to happen around here in quite a while.

-Ryan
-Ryan

Modeling the Freelanced Indiana Central in HO Scale

My Pictures on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25620894@N03/

JGN

• Superintendent
  • Interested in all Rail History!
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2010, 09:09:35 PM »
Glad you posted this as I pass through there every night and now know I will have to take a different route. I missed seeing the construction this morning. I was sidelined by the view that someone had plowed over one of the Defenbaugh and Home Avenue stoplight poles on the East side of the intersection as well as taking out the crossbucks for the belt crossing which was laying about 100 feet North on the sidewalk. Interesting fact is that crossbuck replaced a nice lighted signal unit that was removed about 5 years ago or so despite the other side of the crossing having a cantilever signal still intact. Still no brush removal from US 31 crossing back to the Chrysler lead. Jay

Hemigray 42

• Conductor
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2010, 12:11:15 AM »
 ::) chrysler spending millions and recalling workers back could this be just a part of this or am i reading to much in to it? hope it is and things improve on the line.

JGN

• Superintendent
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2010, 09:00:28 AM »
Trust me, Chrysler is not in the equation. They are still stuck in the JIT, or Just In Time, Philosophy and rail probably wouldn't work any more with new "work" at the plant than it has for the last few years. I did notice contractors were also working on the State Street crossing area as well this morning. This is the next crossing North of Defenbaugh. I hope they aren't just removing it and paving! As always, I will keep us updated on any progress I see in that section of the IMC. Jay

monty

• Dispatcher
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2010, 09:23:52 AM »
::) chrysler spending millions and recalling workers back could this be just a part of this or am i reading to much in to it? hope it is and things improve on the line.

The one source of rail traffic at the Chrysler plant that could bring in some revenue for WSRY could be scrap.  I believe Mervis / Omnisource trucks scrap from Chrysler to their Kokomo site before anything gets loaded onto CERA cars.  WSRY could steal this traffic and serve Chrysler with direct rail service if the Chrysler scrap contract goes to another source.  That could be one reason to justify the WSRY purchase of this short segment from Rail America last year.  Just something to think about.
monty

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »
The one source of rail traffic at the Chrysler plant that could bring in some revenue for WSRY could be scrap.  I believe Mervis / Omnisource trucks scrap from Chrysler to their Kokomo site before anything gets loaded onto CERA cars.  WSRY could steal this traffic and serve Chrysler with direct rail service if the Chrysler scrap contract goes to another source.  That could be one reason to justify the WSRY purchase of this short segment from Rail America last year.  Just something to think about.

That's less likely to happen than Chrysler shipping auto parts.  As far as I know, Omni owns the Chrysler scrap long term on formula.  Therefore , it is Omni choice on how the service the account.  If they wanted to direct rail out of the plant, they would already be doing so.   Unless a plant is putting out MULTIPLE cars DAILY, if you (scrap broker) have a facility withing 25-50 miles of the facility, and you own the scrap on a long term basis,  it is generally less expensive, and allows you more options, to bring the scrap to your yard vs. shipping directly from manufacturing plant.  Bringing it to your yard allows you to regulate how you ship (example, hold material for an up market), allows you to blend to a steel mills specific needs, etc.  Just the way the scrap market works.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

monty

• Dispatcher
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2010, 10:00:31 PM »
Defenbaugh Street is open.  WSRY severed the passing track, but kept the main line rail intact.  Looks like several other crossings in the vicinity are to get similar treatment.
monty

JGN

• Superintendent
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2010, 08:55:36 AM »
State Street crossing looks untouched. They were beginning to tear out the siding tracks crossings at Boulevard Street this morning. This particular crossing was the bane of Kokomo motorist's for many years until all 3 tracks crossings were rebuilt in the late 80's. The two siding tracks have been partially ripped up over the last 5 years or so and obviously won't ever see another wheel turn over them. The one is part of the same track they removed at Defenbaugh. That track has small sections still in, and many pieces here and there removed. I noticed CERA was using the orange Indiana Southern truck one day to litteraly rip up part of one of the sidings between Hoffer and Boulevard, but that was probably two years ago. I know I'm not getting my hope up yet about seeing traffic yet.

As far as Chrysler and their scrap, another post either on this board or NCIR mentioned the fact that there is so much waste when the fork trucks dump into the dumpsters due to the "turnings" not compacting, thus when NS and CERA still had the business they would have to ship out the gons to Mervis to be compressed and then brought back to finish filling making this an added expense that didn't equate into a good business. I walk directly by these dumpsters every workday and concur that is indeed a problem. There is nothing onsite to compact the aluminum turnings. Omnisource shows up when a dumpster is full, and there is normally an extra bay available to use in the meantime. I think the only way you will ever again see rail service to the plant, is if the plant leases space out to another company, or by some chance another heavy machine is brought in. I do get a kick out of a small piece of rail on the scrap spur that has a small section coated with melted aluminum. I always admire it's nickel plated appearance and silently chuckle when I think about the fact the "Nickel Plate Road" once worked this plant and how ironic it is. Take care, Jay