Author Topic: Interurban (and railroad) routes at Raysville  (Read 2702 times)

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
Interurban (and railroad) routes at Raysville
« on: February 28, 2010, 09:11:03 AM »
Gene Ingram and I got together and checked out the area east of Knightstown and north of Raysville Friday afternoon.  No walking--too snowy for that, but everything can be seen from the highway or subdivision streets.  I also overlaid a 1936 aerial into my mapping and corrected the interuban route.  The end result of these efforts is shown here: http://tinyurl.com/yaqg6b7

This is a very unique site...

The original Indiana Central (later PRR) railroad had a large curve here that was relocated at some point, definitely after 1876, and possibly in the 1900-1920 timeframe that the PRR upgraded other parts of this line.  The railroad grade originally followed what is mostly now Star Blvd. and is still mostly intact.

As shown on the above link, the interurban route was mostly destroyed by the construction of US 40.  However, it is still visible from the point where it leaves south edge of the US 40 r/w, crosses "Star Blvd", and then hugs the original railroad grade eastward to the point where it is again under the eastbound lane of US 40.

Additionally, prior to the construction of US 40 and the Knightstown Lake reservoir, there was a road that also paralleled the rail grades for a short distance.

I have attached a marked up current parcel map for reference.  The interurban line is in red, the original railroad grade is the dashed yellow, the new railroad alignment is solid yellow, and the road grade is in green.  I haven't shown all the roads, just the one that was largely abandoned.

So, on the south side of US 40, for a distance of about 750', there are four abandoned grades: an old road, the interurban, the original railroad alignment, and the new railroad alignment.

Later this winter, assuming the snow ever melts, I'll try to get some photos of the remaining grades and post them.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
Re: Interurban (and railroad) routes at Raysville
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 11:49:52 AM »
What is the parcel map date? 

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 03:30:12 PM »
What is the parcel map date? 
2/27/10
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 04:32:26 PM »
I find the parcel info very interesting, there are some RoW's there and they have to pre-date the US40 being moved.  If you look, its almost like a RofW was put in north for something.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 05:27:11 PM »
I find the parcel info very interesting, there are some RoW's there and they have to pre-date the US40 being moved.  If you look, its almost like a RofW was put in north for something.
I believe there was a subdivision or two platted in the 1920's, after the resort closed.  Obviously, the interurban line was accounted for in the plat.  Some streets were put in, including Star Blvd, and some north of where US 40 is now.  With the construction of US 40 and the dam, the subdivision was never fully developed, and some streets were even torn out.

It is unusual that the highway isn't in its own r/w; perhaps at the time of construction, they simply bought the parcels rather than just a right of way, or just an easement rather than fee simple, or perhaps it's just a mistake on the GIS.

Might be an interesting historical exploration to go to the Henry County recorder's office and see the original plat for this subdivision.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 05:39:21 PM »
That is the case with a lot of US35 in Henry and Randolph counties.  I remember my grandfather talking of the issues it caused when they did bridge work in a couple of locations.
Apparently the state never actually took in the RofW and just put the road in at the time.  He said it was a very odd situation.  They also claimed that portions of US35 in Wayne county are in the C&O RofW!  I believe this was resolved back in the mid 70's however.

jmwnycprr

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 06:40:15 PM »
Cool! Thanks for posting this. I never knew about the old PRR main being Star Blvd. If you look at it from below on 40 it resembles an old rail row. I live real close to Raysville and been up at the dam and all through the old PRR row and never knew this.
Clear Signal Sheehan Hill!

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 02:09:47 PM »
A little more information from Jim Stafa on the IndianaRailroadIRR yahoo group:
Few years back I did a little courthouse research on this area.  The original plat for subdivision that includes Star Blvd. noted that it was a former PRR railroad grade.  The plat itself dated back to the late teens or twenties so it showed the THI&E as well.  As I recall, the "new" US 40 was built roughly on the same alignment as the interurban.  Remember the "old" alignment of US 40 between Dunreith and just east of Knightstown was on the South side of the PRR.  The new alignment of US 40 occured sometime after the abandonment of the entire Dayton/Richmond Branch.  (Not just this segment).
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster

Freightrain

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 02:35:49 PM »
I lived off of the first county road north of 40 back in 1998.If you drive between the grocery store and i think dollar store whatever that road is  north you will cross the old interrurban Row.If you start at the freight station  in town I am pretty sure this was the original  panhandle look at it east look at it by the grain elevator to the west.The row just keeps going keep looking as you go to raysville.you will see row on the south side of the bridge.There was a picture in mayhill publications of an old train  I asked about it they said it was taken east of town that picture is also on madison county rails under maurice luman memories.It has been 11 years since i checked this out my memory might be fuzzy this is a good time of year to look.

jmwnycprr

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »
Yeah the old Panhandle can also be seen on Mill Rd and on 650W just south of the elevated line. The old bridge abrupments are still there at blue river too next to the big 3 arch high bridge. The old one was so low I bet it flooded out a lot. however I believe there used to be a dam on Blue River somewhere near where the Interurban crossed. Did the Interurban have a wooden covered bridge over Blue River?
Clear Signal Sheehan Hill!