Author Topic: Laf. Junction  (Read 1704 times)

Lt._Dave

• Dispatcher
Laf. Junction
« on: December 28, 2005, 12:58:02 PM »
Happy Holidays All,

I was wondering does Laf. Junction still exist in any form?  Also how would one get to it if driving up from Indy?  Thanks in advance

Dave

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: Laf. Junction
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 12:01:36 AM »
Lafayette Junction is still there, but is is NOTHING like it was back in the heyday.  In fact, the 'new' Lafayette Junction is acutally 30 feet below the old lafayette jucntion.  The NS relocation resulted in a a HUGE amount of excavations taking place at the old Lafayette Jct.  In fact, during the excavations, they unearthed the old tower foundations and other interlocking relics.

Also, the former Wabash ROW through downtown Lafayette is unreconizable.  If you didn't know it was there, you couldn't tell it now.

Anyway, the KBS still curves in and connects to the CSX near Smith St.  There are full crossovers between the NS and CSX and the connection out the former NKP to South Yard.

There is a nice pedestrian overpass at Smith St, and the Relocated Big Four Depot is a nice place to watch trains.

To get to Lafayette from Indy either take I-65 to IN 38 and into downtown.  Another option is I-74 to Crawfordsville, and up US 231 to Lafayette. This follows the former Monon most of the way.  Once in W. Lafayette take State St (IN 26) over the river to the station.  Lafayette Junction is a few blocks south of the 26 bridge.

Suffice to say, Lafayette's railroad picture is NOTHING like it was back in 'the day'.

Practice Safe CSX

ckpcpqq(Guest)

Re: Laf. Junction
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 11:35:17 AM »
For more on the new Lafayette Junction, go to:
http://dhke.com/CRJ/outlying.html#Lafayette,_Indiana

Bill Gustason