Author Topic: "City wants to keep rail hopes alive" Kokomo Tribune article  (Read 1805 times)

JGN

• Superintendent
  • Interested in all Rail History!
http://www.kokomotribune.com/local/local_story_008223101.html

This is in regards to the new US 31 "bypass of the bypass" and the state's wish to not have to build another bridge so they can save money. At stake is the severing of the IMC Nickel Plate Road line between Sharpesville and Kokomo that has been embargoed by NS for many years.
I had noticed the State of Indiana, at one time, did not have a bridge over the tracks in one of their plans for the new US 31 bypass, so this doesn't suprise me. What's funny is Kokomo's change of heart about this segment of the IMC after almost having part of it abandoned within Kokomo just this last year before Winamac Southern and US Rail stepped in. Another funny is the reporter writing about the trail to Peru and WHO sold it. Read the story and enjoy, well at least at the end of the story you might enjoy. I hope they are able to save it. Time will tell if the STB will agree. Later, Jay

State of Indiana's US 31 Kokomo construction page(with a picture of the IMC bridge over the Wildcat Creek in Kokomo) can be researched at
http://www.in.gov/indot/div/projects/us31/kokomo/

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
Re: "City wants to keep rail hopes alive" Kokomo Tribune article
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:28:20 AM »
The state doesn't see the IMC as a viable route anymore, PERIOD and that is obvious.  NS sees this as another step to insure no one comes south to reconnect.  By having the state abandon this segment (asking NS to do it) then NS has little to no worry about it in the future.

Now, if the city stepped up and bought the segment from NS, then there wouldn't be much of an issue, even if the city stepped up and paid for the overpass.  If its that big a deal to them, then perhaps they should.

I know its much deeper then this though.

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:28:50 PM »
If they do yank it, does anybody know one of the local signal mantainers?  I wouldnt minding having one of the sets of crossing lights to preserve in my back yard.   They are mostly all older 8" lamps and southway bvld is old cast iron lights.  I would love to have a set of them, pole, base and all.   I grew up watching that set flash when I would ride my bicycle up there to see first NW/NS then CERA heading south with grain and general freight to Tipton.   I hope it doesnt happen, but things dont look promising.   Mike

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 06:22:39 PM »
If those signals are on property that is owned by WSRY it is best that you get ahold of WSRY/Kokomo Grain for that equipment. Signal contractors for WSRY are known as General Electric/ Harmon Electronics.

central1751

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:41:07 PM »
Not sure who's they are, but I belive everything south of the Chrysler plant is NS property right now.  I would take a set from southway bvld or the 1 remaining set on lincoln road behind the eagles club.  The other set there got taken out a few years ago by a rig.  The set on Southway would mean more to me being I saw them operating over the years of my childhood.  Lots of good memories at that crossing.  I know the tags on the poles are NS right now and being cast iron they cant reuse them.  I am pretty sure the targets and visors are in the relay cabinet.  I kind of remember them taking that crossing out of service and turning the lights away from traffic.  Wouldnt mind having the flasher relay to.  I hope the line gets preserved, but I think the tide is against it at this point with the new bypass project.   Mike

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 10:05:31 PM »
Mike, as I recall, the WSRY owns to north of Sharpsville (?). IIRC, the ownership boundary is south of Kokomo.

Christian
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

central1751

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 10:29:57 PM »
I am just watching for some maintainers out working and will stop and as them.  There are also some out of service lights near the scale house in Marshal yard that are old cast iron lights.  I would just buy a set, but lately, what they fetch on fleabay is beyond my means or to far for shipping.  I have 4 GRS LEX-C lamps in the attic but all the mounting points are busted, typical of the all plastic lights.  There are quite a few of those style lamps still in service in kokomo.  I was hoping someone here knew a maintainer on a personal level and might be able to help out.   Thanks   Mike

monty

• Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 12:12:28 PM »
I attended an INDOT US 31 meeting this week.  In the presentation, they said that the new highway was going over NS / IMC rail line (as planned).  Hamilton County officials did not want the line severed either (to preserve the corridor from Indy to Kokomo). 
monty