Author Topic: Madison Railroad  (Read 30950 times)

HoosierVirg

• President
Madison Railroad
« on: December 25, 2009, 06:56:11 PM »
Since about once a week I drive down to Madison and go through the Jefferson Proving Grounds I thought I would start a thread and post any updates or information that I come across concerning the Madison Railroad. Before I left for my trip to California I made a trip down the weekend of December 2-3, specifically Saturday the second. I noticed as I drove through the JPG that the passenger car and caboose were gone so when I got to town, I saw a little tent where the City of Madison bicentennial train had run from back in October and lots of parked automobiles. I was headed to the movie so when I got out checked again and everything was gone and when I drove through the JPG again saw the passenger car and caboose now parked there by building 216 so assume that was the Christmas Train usually run by the Madison. I drove to the top of the incline by the plastic plant and shot these pictures for those who haven't been there to see. In the first the track to the left is the plant track, they get a covered hopper once in awhile, track in middle heads toward the incline and the track to the right is where the Madison kept their caboose office till they moved out to the JPG. In the second picture, the track to the right goes into the Madison State Hospital, not used now and the track along the fence is the incline track. In the last picture, the end of the line is shown and the track proceeding into the weeds is the line down the incline.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

IndyHog

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: Madison Railroad
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 11:31:08 AM »
Does anyone know the last time the incline was used by the railroad and if so what was the load(s) ?
Thank You  in advance.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......

IU_Tower

• President
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »
That rail looks like heavy-duty $#!+.....  ;D

Maybe 132lb minimum.

INprinter

• The Working Man from Shelbyville!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • K9SVL
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »
Does anyone know the last time the incline was used by the railroad and if so what was the load(s) ?
Thank You  in advance.

I think I have seen that mentioned somewhere on the Bullsession some time ago. Try a search here, I'm sure it will come up. As I remember it, I think that they took a very large transformer or some other electrical equipment down the incline for the power plant there to the west. You easily see the smoke stacks of the power plant from just about anywhere in the area of Madison.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

barnesrnr

• Brakeman
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:26:47 PM »
I get to Madison about once or twice a year, and would like to see and hear more about the incline.  Attached are photos I took in 2006.

dan_lawecki

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 06:48:50 AM »
To "barnesrnr":  There are at least two articles in back issues of Trains magazine that might be of interest to you.  The July 1962 issue features an article about the history of the Incline.  Out-of-print book and magazine dealers such as Railpub will probably have that issue available.  There is also an article in the April 2001 issue that describes an incident when a train when into emergency on the Hill.  That issue is still available from Kalmbach Publications.

The Pennsylvania RR Technical & Historical Society has previously published material on the Madison Incline in their quarterly magazine, The Keystone, but I cannot tell you the date of that issue.  And finally, may I suggest that you become a member of the Yahoo Pennsy West discussion board.  You can do a topic search, and I guarantee that you will find a lengthy thread about the Incline.

My wife and I visited Madison for the first time in October 2006 and we hiked up the Incline until the vegetation and secondary tree growth became too thick for us to continue our trip.  It wasn't until afterwards that I learned that ratttlesnakes are commonly found along that old right-of-way!  When I mentioned it to my wife she was less than pleased to learn that bit of information...

rogerhensley

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 07:19:13 AM »
To quote a woman who sent me this photo a number of years ago...

"Here is a photo of my father and grandmother, standing in one of the "cuts" in Madison, IN, in 1911. The woman is my grandmother, Mary Brydon Teetor; the boy is my father, Howard Teetor."
Rosemary Teetor, rosemary.teetor@gmail.com

Roger Hensley kc9eji

Railroads of Madison County - (NYC and More) - http://madisonrails.railfan.net/
East Central Indiana HO RR - http://cid.railfan.net/eci_new.html

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 01:52:08 PM »
How many people believe that photo was taken in Indiana when you show it?  :D
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 11:36:28 AM »
How many people believe that photo was taken in Indiana when you show it?  :D

I get the same type of reaction when I show people my pictures of the Tulip Creek Trestle, they always ask where out west it is located, LOL.

Go Reds!

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 11:46:27 AM »
Thank You  in advance.

In 1992 the incline was rebuilt by the electric plant at the bottom for a transformer to be brought down. In fact, the plant would kick in around $10,000 year in up keep for the hill just in case they needed it for their use, last I heard they quit that a few years after the 92 run. I have been told by the locals it is washed out in a couple of spots, if you look closely at satellite views you can make out at least one of the areas. Hopefully I will walk it this summer with the grandson.

Go Reds!

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 11:53:36 AM »
As I was typing the previous post I heard an interesting question posed on my scanner on the Madison Railroad frequency, the boss lady asked her employees if they had heard anything about CSX not running anything from Cincinnati to Seymour because of a trestle being out. I didn't hear any replies. Has anyone who has access to the CSX computer run across anything concerning that question?

Go Reds!

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • K9SVL
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 06:11:03 PM »
...Hopefully I will walk it this summer with the grandson.

I might suggest walking it before the weeds and trees start leafing out again in the spring. I tried it last summer and didn't really get very far. It is really grown over quite a bit. I'm not saying you couldn't get through there in the middle of summer, but it would just have to be easier when the foliage is in a reduced state. I've also heard rumors that snakes inhabit that area as well, but heck, that's a hazard just about anywhere you're trekking on old abandoned ROW's.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 10:39:28 AM »
Inprinter, did you start at the top or bottom of the incline? I went through the JPG yesterday for the first time since I got back from a month in California and noticed about 100 more coal hoppers are in storage, looks like they have between 600-700 coal hoppers in storage now in the JPG. They have a covered hopper spotted at the plastics plant at the top of the incline so they have moved the 50 or so cars that were stored at the southern end of the line out of the way and into the JPG in the little yards they have there, put them in the track where they moved the ties off the rails and moved the ties down by building 216 which is their shop. Passenger car and caboose sitting outside 216 where they were when I left. I assume moving those 50 plus cars into the JPG allows the Madison to switch the plastics plant without having to move those coal hoppers each time they need to switch the plastics plant.

Go Reds!

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • K9SVL
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »
Hoosiervirg,

I started at the bottom of the hill so that I could roll back down after wearing myself out on the climb. It was a wet day and water was running down the hill on both sides of the roadbed. I was a dirty mess by the time I got back down the hill. I did not make it to the top that day.

I did walk up and down Saluda Hill on the NS down in South Carolina. So I am not adverse to long uphill walks as long as the potential for good pictures is a possibility. I think it would behoove the City of Madison to clean up the grade. It would sure make a nice walking path. Think they have a trail system started down there anyway. This would certainly fit into those plans and it would also keep the trees from totally overgrowing the ROW.

Inprinter

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 10:07:49 PM »
Inprinter, the Madison Railroad is the one who maintains the hill, the city is working on a trail as you said and did quite a bit of clearing it out this summer, especially along the river where some rail is still in place. being an old dude I am going to start at the top and walk down or roll down depending on how things work out, LOL.

Go Reds!

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • K9SVL
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 03:13:23 PM »
Inprinter, the Madison Railroad is the one who maintains the hill, the city is working on a trail as you said and did quite a bit of clearing it out this summer, especially along the river where some rail is still in place. being an old dude I am going to start at the top and walk down or roll down depending on how things work out, LOL.

Be sure and take some pictures along the way down. If we only see sky or dirt, then we'll know what happened.

Inprinter

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 11:33:20 PM »
Before the big snows hit I took a ride through the JPG, things look pretty much the same, the ties still are up by the shop, first picture, the small yard is now full since the ties have been moved out, second picture, lots of tub hoppers, third picture and the same old white tankers that have been there forever, last picture.

Go Reds!

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 11:53:23 PM »
I took a ride down to Louisville a couple of days ago after the first good snow we had,so as I went through Madison I stopped at the bridge that goes into the Madison State Hospital over the track down the incline, first picture, the second picture was taken from the bridge looking up the incline toward the plastic plant shown in an earlier post, the last two pictures are looking down the incline toward the river, lots of water flowing along both sides of the tracks, when the snow melts will stop for another view of the area.

Go Reds!

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • K9SVL
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 09:01:05 PM »
I thought you were going to walk the hill???

Inprinter

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 10:17:10 PM »
I thought you were going to walk the hill???

Inprinter
When it is warmer I want to walk it, way to much snow right now, don't want the KDH emergency squad to have to drag me off there, LOL. Lots of water running down both sides of the track at the top of the Hill like when you were there. Here are some shots I took today at the bottom of the Hill, first one is looking down toward the Ohio River. The second one is looking up the Hill from the bottom of the Incline. I did go north of the street bridge for the next two shots, the third one is looking south back toward the river and the last one is looking north up the Incline.

Go Reds!