Linked Events

• Great Train Expo: January 02, 2010 - January 03, 2010

Author Topic: Great Train Expo 2010  (Read 2188 times)

NSyorktown

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Great Train Expo 2010
« on: December 14, 2009, 05:16:03 AM »
The next major model railroading show in the Indianapolis area is January 2-3, 2010.

Enjoy the GREAT TRAIN EXPO at the State Fairgrounds:

http://www.trainexpoinc.com/schedule.html

Also, stop by the NMRA / CID booth to say "HI" (and learn more about the hobby)!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:37:06 AM by indrr »

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
Re: Great Train Expo 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:06:03 AM »
Also, stop by the Grand Ol' N'gineers NTrak display. We will be running trains both days. Have some N Scale sound and all DCC controlled. Lots of different trains of UP, Southern, Monon, NYC and NS heritage. We also have this one member who has a potato train. No sound on the potato train.

See you all there.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:27:48 PM »
Planning on coming. I'll look for you and say hi. I always enjoy going. We're pretty starved for train shows here in southwest IN!!

jjrailfan

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 02:54:32 PM »
CINTRAK N-Trak club will be at the GTE Show as well. We're planning on an ~30'x30' layout (with a little help from Dayton N-Trak) and a ~15'x30' L-shaped oNeTrak branchline. In addition to freight and passenger mainline operation, there will be several locals switching various industries on the mainlines and branch line. Most of the branchline is new having debuted in September and this will be first show for one or two other sections. Watch as locals dodge mainline freights and passengers. Watch as trains creep thru the street running section at a safe 10 mph. Check out the log trains, train over train meets, railroad museum/trolley line and switching the coal mine. You'll get to see modern equipment moving intermodal, manifest and unit trains. You'll get to see older trains including UP, PC, CB&Q, Monon, B&O etc. You'll get to see new (Amtrak) and old passenger trains. You might get to see the 'Beer Train' and the 'Stinky Train' i.e. unit cattle train. We promise it won't get a red signal while tiptoeing thru the street running. There will be sound equipped steam and diesel units.

Hope to see you next weekend!

In case you miss us at Indy, a couple of us will be at Louisville GTE Show on 1/9-1/10 with KSONS.

-JJ

NSyorktown

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Great Train Expo 2010 / More
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 07:37:06 AM »
Sounds like a lot of attractions this coming weekend . . . good deal.

Traditionally, this show is very well attended (besides being over a Holiday vacation, I think it's because so many modelers have Holiday cash available, and are ready to buy-up those "presents" that didn't make it under their tree).

It is supposed to be pretty cool both days, so safe travels.

RDS

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
  • Notch eight and sanding!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »
Planning on coming. I'll look for you and say hi. I always enjoy going. We're pretty starved for train shows here in southwest IN!!
When do you plan to be up here? Sat or Sun?  Let me know
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

jjrailfan

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:14:55 PM »
FYI, here's a shot of an NS high & wide load tiptoeing thru the street running section of one of our modules that will be at the GTE Show this weekend.

-JJ

Bill

• Conductor
  • Now with 20% more foam!!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 10:47:55 PM »
My wife and I will hopefully make it up there, depending on how her morning sickness goes and the weather.  We have been 3 or 4 times and it is always a good time.  I'll be the wooly looking feller with a camo railworks hat!
For more area railroad info, check out:
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Tri_State_Area_Railroads_IN_IL_Ky
My Pics at Dropshots.com : Password billstrains
http://www.dropshots.com/billstrains

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
When do you plan to be up here? Sat or Sun?  Let me know

Saturday!  Takes time to get all the kids up and running but like to be there by 11:00.

I'll look for you Bill.  I think I'll wear my UP Clinton Iowa service unit hat.

See ya then!

Bill

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 06:23:05 PM »
I tried to look around for you Sat Brian, but we were running late and that place was packed.  I believe it is the most people we have seen in the four or five times we have been there.  Overall very good show.

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 10:05:39 PM »
I thought it was a good show. Very pleased with attendance considering the COLD!  I picked up several items and talked to a lot of people about model rr'ing. Met jjrailfan and inprinter and learned a lot talking to both of them. Thanks JJ and inprinter! I actually worked on scenery today. Head first, right?  ;)
We made it up there around 11:15. Left at 3 and headed to Big 4 hobbies. I love that place. Great store and big selection to choose from.  If I ever hit the lottery............     Wish I didn't live so far away.  Made it home by 8.

jjrailfan

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 10:23:26 AM »
Glad to hear you've started on some scenery, CSX2605. Yep, just gotta dive in and do something. Nice thing is, it's not that hard to 'undo' anything you don't like. Even better if you can just modify or change it to something better. Nice to meet several Bull Session members during the show. Hope to meet some of the southern contingency when I set up with KSONS at the Louisville GTE Show this weekend. Here's a few pics from the CINTRAK layout at the GTE Show:

#1 = Bob W's B&O themed coal mine in a city we dubbed Coalton
#2 = Bob F's RR Museum with all German equipment and operating trolley
#3 = oNeTrak loop. Sorry about the cheap cardboard guard rail. Finally found suitable edge guard yesterday, a few days too late.
#4 = CSX train passing Indiana Central shops with numerous foreign units awaiting maintenance/service
#5 = One of Dayton N-Trak's suitcase layouts

We had a blast! One of Dayton N-Trak's member ran his 89 car BN coal train. We had several other 40-50 car manifests, several unit covered hopper trains, an intermodal, CB&Q and B&O passenger trains, the 'Beer Train', and several locals, one serving industries on the main layout, one serving industries on the oNeTrak branchline. We ran the 'CINTRAK Sweeper' at the end of the show to collect all the miscellaneous cars spotted around the layout and deliver them to their owners.

Bill

• Conductor
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
I would love to know where or who painted the INRD engines for n scale.  I have looked and never been able to find one, or any for Indiana Southern.  You wouldn't have any more pictures of the engine shop would you?  I can't remember how the scene was laid out and how the engines made it up to the shop.

I wish I would have had more time, I would have liked to stop by the CID booth and the layouts and meet a few of you fellers.  Especially the N scalers since there does not seem to be any in Washington.

jjrailfan

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 11:20:51 PM »
I'd love to take credit for the INRD's but I bought them as part of a collection from a prospective club member who decided to exit N scale. He had them painted by some one out of state I recall. I think he was a truck driver or something like that. I'll try to remember to take some pics of the engine house when I set up at Louisville this weekend. It's really a pretty cheap kit. I added a gray styrene floor to simulate concrete. I bought some roof top details that I haven't added yet. Picked up the other detail stuff from ebay, hobby stores, my junk box, etc. There's nothing really scientific or prototypical about the set up. I just tried to come up with something that looked decent in the space I had. I've painted and weathered dozens of engines (Indiana Central, FL, SBD, CSX stealth & transition, MRL, NS, CR, GATX, HLGX, HLCX, my son's freelance Riverway & Western) and wanted a way to show these. Wanted to give folks something to look at that isn't straight out of a box. Came up with the engine house/rebuild shop while flying home last year. I plan to paint an ISRR GP40/slug/GP40 set once I finish detailing the two N-Trak and seven oNeTrak modules. Already have the decals, just need the time. Other wish list projects include KCS SD40-2 snoot (white)/SD45M (gray)/GP40-2W. Also want to paint a high hood NS GP40, high hood Indiana Central GP30 (ex-SOU like the CIND unit), CN GP40-2W (painted one but sold it on ebay), SF GP60B, pair of EJE SD38-2 and an IHB switcher to pull my Inland Steel coal cars. So many projects, so little time.

jjrailfan

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »
Just in case there are some serious dieseloholics out there, I thought I give you the line up at the Indiana Central engine house:

CSX freight: CSX B30-7 #5508 (ex-CS) / GP38 #2023 (ex-B&O) / B30-7 #5562 / GP15-1 #1537
INRD SD35 #600 / SD20 #2000
HLCX GP40 #4410 (ex-AMTK) / HLGX C36-7E #6806
WC SD45 #6582 / #6497 (ex-BN) / #6585
INCR GP35 #2508 / GP35 #2503 / F7B #1500 / GP35(H) #2501 / SD9(H) #2651 / GP35 #2505
UP SD70ACe #8420 / SD70M #3972 / C44AC #5714
INRD SD40-2 #41 / #43

-JJ