Author Topic: NNYC RR Museum & area interest??  (Read 1649 times)

Bob Webb

NNYC RR Museum & area interest??
« on: September 23, 2005, 08:54:50 PM »
Have the chance to visit northern IN, next week. Will be visiting the NNYC museum. Do you know of any hot train watching spots?  I would like to see some activity.

Rob

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Re: NNYC RR Museum & area interest??
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 11:00:23 PM »
I believe you are already heading to the right place in my opinion. :) right in front of museum.
  As for other locations, I'll let others throw in what they think, but the east end of Elkhart yards my favorite place around.
Activity wise i doubt you can beat that area without a trip over to South Bend, and I'm sure someone here can give you more info for South Bend, as i havent really been there since Bend tower was still active.
Rob

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 01:21:58 PM »
The museum is a perfect spot.  I don't know about South Bend area, I don't watch out there.  You also might want to try the west end of the yard which 933??? (I think this is the road) runs parallel to.  The fuel pad on the1-2 main is right there and you can park right off the road to watch.  However, the road is below most of the track until you get half way down the yard so visibility is limited.  Hope this helps.  

j-train

• Brakeman
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 08:48:27 PM »
The Museum is a pretty good spot, but for pictures I would recommend the Depot just across the tracks.  The new underpass on Indiana Ave. just a few blocks south is also a good spot.  The best pictures can probably be taken from a small empty gravel lot just NE of the bridge itself.

If you're interested in short lines or older motive power, then the Elkhart and Western would probably be of interest.  They use a GP9m which has never seen a rebuild, and an ex-IC GP-10.  

Hope this helps and happy fanning

GP30M4216

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 08:51:53 PM »
I would also recommend the Amtrak Depot platform directly across the tracks from the National NYC Museum as a great place to watch trains.  Elkhart has a number of good, public grade crossings which allow a railfan to catch some good opts.  If you like signals, there are many many different types around the Elkhart area.  Signal bridges (old NYC style and vintage) are located at the west end of the yard along old US 33 near Ash Road, next to the depot, at the end of Stocker Court (visable from the McDonald St. Crossing), and at the Hively Ave. crossing.  Bracket signals from NYC days are up along US33 next to Concord Mall.  A variety of other mass and dwarf signals are along the line as well, some newer, some from NYC days.   You'll see upwards of 85 or more trains in a 24 hour period.  Sit at the depot and you'll also catch the few trains coming off/going onto the Kalamazoo Secondary up into Michigan.  The Elkhart and Western is easily visable from the Jackson St. crossing - just take it east from Main Street and you'll see the engines.  Hope this helps!