Author Topic: Big Four/NYC--Downtown Indy  (Read 2487 times)

Night Watchman

• Conductor
  • Defenders of the Homeland
Big Four/NYC--Downtown Indy
« on: July 28, 2009, 11:39:29 AM »
Recent photos of an old, old, old line...It lays just south of the CSX INDY-Shelbyville line. Its very short and branches off from CSX line towards downtown Indy on the near eastside...all the maps list it as big four/nyc but I remember an old thread that listed the original carrier (It had a real different, bizarre name). Anybody remember the name or the thread...heres some photos

Night Watchman

• Conductor
Re: Big Four/NYC--Downtown Indy
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 11:45:48 AM »
These are just east of the above photos

1)Metal thieves have been stealing spikes and tie plates
2)Looking west on the line
3)Looking east on the line...rejoins the CSX line in the distance

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:31:02 PM »
Don't remember the thread. In my old Penn Central days that line went down to the street level at College Ave. and worked a rubber plant ( now Farm Bureau Ins. Offices) & a scrap metal yard. I suppose it could have been the old main line into Union Station prior to the elevation of all tracks in the mile square area. That happened sometime in the early 1920's.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 02:15:21 PM »
Don't remember the thread. In my old Penn Central days that line went down to the street level at College Ave. and worked a rubber plant ( now Farm Bureau Ins. Offices) & a scrap metal yard. I suppose it could have been the old main line into Union Station prior to the elevation of all tracks in the mile square area. That happened sometime in the early 1920's.

That's precisely what it was, the original main line for the NYC to get to the original station in Indy.  There was a yard located where Omni Source is now which was where the NYC had their original coach yard and locomotive facility for its passenger trains.  Supposedly, the Omni property used to have the roundhouse on it, but looking at google earth and the like show no evidence now.  When they built the elevated ROW through town, the NYC relocated their coach facility to the location where the helipad and that parking lot is now.  When it rains, you can still see the depressions for the tracks in the parking lot surface.

More recently, I believe that line served as the connection to the BRRC railroad that served those aforementioned industries.

Practice Safe CSX

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 03:26:38 PM »
That's precisely what it was, the original main line for the NYC to get to the original station in Indy.  There was a yard located where Omni Source is now which was where the NYC had their original coach yard and locomotive facility for its passenger trains.  Supposedly, the Omni property used to have the roundhouse on it, but looking at google earth and the like show no evidence now.  When they built the elevated ROW through town, the NYC relocated their coach facility to the location where the helipad and that parking lot is now.  When it rains, you can still see the depressions for the tracks in the parking lot surface.

More recently, I believe that line served as the connection to the BRRC railroad that served those aforementioned industries.

Practice Safe CSX

You mean this Roundhouse?

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=44.023938~-99.71&style=h&lvl=4&tilt=-89.875918865193&dir=0&alt=7689462.6842358

Evidently, the foundation is stil there. Kinda like the foundation in Hawthorne.

IU

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 06:41:36 PM »
Explains why I never saw it, I was always zoomed into the scrap yard looking.  Shoulda looked 1/2 block to the west.

Practice Safe CSX

OS_IJ

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 07:32:41 AM »
I remember looking at a map of indianapolis back in the 60s and seeing that yard and I thought it was called Leota St Yd. Anybody verify that.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 09:07:53 AM »
Here is the thread referenced above regarding the original NYC route into Union Station, Borenstein Railroad, etc:

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=1813.0
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 02:40:47 PM »
Great photos, especially the close-up of the scrap yard. Where did you find that? At one time Indianpolis had dozens of these small scrap yards, coal & ice yards and small factories that got a car here and a car there. All serviced by swarms of railroad industry crews.  No place for that in our "new" & global economy.
Sad, but time marches on. Glad some of the history is perserved.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

Night Watchman

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 05:37:02 PM »
Thanks Nate...thats what I was trying to remember...Borenstein Railroad. And since it was brought up, this is whats left of the ROW west of the bridge. (the first one is looking east from College Av and the second is looking west from College Av)

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 06:55:24 PM »
I believe that area is called "Irish Hill" and it was quite a grade going down to the street level at from College Ave. to East St.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 09:01:06 PM »
No place for that in our "new" & global economy.

I agree.  I wouldn't call it progress by any means.
No train expert here fellas, just your average history buff...

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »
That NYC Yards that was talked about was the Shelby Street Yards. They also Switched a Rubber Plant in the area.

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 06:36:24 PM »
The Rubber plant on College Ave. was B F Goodrich. I believe they made different types of rubber belts for industrial uses. They would get hoppers of raw materiel. (carbon black ?) Anyway it was a nasty place. It was bought by Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance Co. and remodeled into their state headquarters.

jjrailfan

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 07:51:50 PM »
One of my customer's was/is on that line, Lafayette Steel (formerly Metal Service and Supply) just on the east side of the I-65 / I-70. The building is labeled on Google satellite map. The siding entered the building on the north side from the northeast at a 45 degree angle. I very vaguely recall that we occasionally shipped rail to them back in the mid 90's but don't quote me on that. I recall the tracks were still in place across interstate but terminated right on the other side of the interstate. Again, don't quote me on that.

-JJ