Author Topic: Notre Dame Line Purchase?  (Read 47045 times)

Tom B(Guest)

Re: Notre Dame Line Purchase?
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 09:38:39 PM »
The various articles mention other shippers for the revived line to Notre Dame.  Who would be the new shippers?  

Royal off Washington has a disconnected spur going into its plant that possibly could be reconnected.  There's two tracks that fork off the branch and weave around the former Drewery Brewery complex but do any customers in there now need rail service?  

Other industries located along the line appear be either out of business or on life support.

Could the South Bend Railway organizers be thinking of offline shippers using a team track?

big_amish

• Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 03:08:30 AM »
Bad news, no coal to Notre Dame for now. The inside word I hear is ND would rather truck coal in at more expense to stay in the good graces of the city. ND plans a future expansion all the way down to Howard St and needs the city's blessing to do so.  Here's the WSBT story:http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/3207781.html

steve_wall

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 08:09:45 PM »
Al Stevens--you're right on the money about track conditions on the line. I lived in South Bend from '74-'94 and I never saw any tie replacement or other track maintenance on that line.

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2006, 11:20:25 AM »
I HATE TO SEE ANYONE BUY A LINE THAT, THE MAIN SOURCE OF REVENUE ISN'T GOING TO PROVIDE THEM THE REVENUE THAT THEY NEED. OFCOURSE I DESPISE ANY COMMUNITY THAT SAYS THAT THEY DON'T WANT ANY RAIL SERVICE ANYMORE. BECAUSE USALLY THEY ARE THE SAME ONES THAT COMPLAIN WHEN THE RAILROAD DISAPPEARS. SO THE FOLKS UP AT SOUTH BEND, IN. SHOULD BE GLAD THAT SOMEONE IS BUYING THIS LINE AND TAKING A CHANCE TO RESTORE WITH BETTER TRACK.  IT HELPS ALOT IF THEY CAN MAKE THE TRACK BETTER.                                                               OFCOURSE RAILROADING IS DANGEROUS, BUT THERE IS NO REASON TO SEND YOUR KIDS OUT TO PLAY ON THE RAILROAD TRACKS. AT THE SAME TIME TRUCKS DRIVING AT HIGH RATE OF SPEEDS, WITH RESTLESS DRIVERS CAN KILL. SO WHY DO THE PARENTS LET LITTLE JONNY OUT TO PLAY BASKETBALL OUT IN THE STREETS? I'M NOT SAYING ALL TRUCKERS ARE BAD. BUT THERE ARE A STILL FEW. TRUE TRAINS ARE NOISY, AND SO ARE TRUCKS. NOIS IS SOMETHING THAT CAN'T BE HELPED. I WOULD RATHER BE ABLE TO HEAR THE TRAIN COMING DOWN THE TRACK. IF I DIDN'T HEAR IT I PROBALY WOULD BE DEAD!!!                                                                                      SO I SAY TO THE CITY OF SOUTH BEND, WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF? INDIANA SEEMS TO BE BUILT ON TOURISM. THAT HELPS YOUR CITY. THE TRAIN IS ON ITS OWN TRACKS, SO YOU DON'T HAVE WORRY ABOUT THE ROADS BEING COMPLETELY TORN UP. RAILROADS ARE GOOD ON THE FUEL ECONNOMY. I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THIS AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN: LESS TRAINS, MORE TRUCKS, AND HIGHER TAXES IS APPARRENTLY WHAT AMERICA WANTS. TRUCKS USE MORE FUEL THEN LOCOMOTIVES DO, THAT IS ONE REASON THE OIL MEN ARE MAKING A KILLING ON THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. JUST REMEMBER WHEN THE RAILROAD IS GONE, IT IS GONE FOREVER. USALL THERE IS A 2% THAT IT EVER COMES BACK. IT NOW TAKES CLOSE TO TWO AND A HALF PER MILE TO PUT IT ALL BACK IN PLACE.

AL STEVENS(Guest)

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 05:26:51 PM »
2 POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS THAT I COULD THINK OF OFF OF THE TOP OF MY HEAD ARE HERWICH IRON & METAL JUST NORTH OF THE SWITCH WHERE THIS LINE COMES OFF OF THE WATER LEVEL ROUTE AND STEEL WAREHOUSE LOCATED IN THE DRURY BREWERY COMPLEX.
I THINK THAT IN A PR MOVE, ND IS BLOWING SMOKE UP THE CITIES BACKDOOR REGARDING NOT TAKING CHEAPER COAL SHIPMENTS VIA RAIL.
IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT SHIPPING ARRANGMENTS ARE MADE BY THE COAL BROKER THAT SELLS ND THEIR COAL. A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO I SPOKE WITH THE COAL BROKER THAT SUPPLIES ND AND HE TOLD ME THAT IT WAS HIS DECISION HOW SHIPPING WAS DONE BECAUSE THEY INCLUDE SHIPPING TO THE PLANT IN THE DELIVERED PRICE ie; THE CHEAPER HE GETS IT THERE, THE MORE HE MAKES.

ambrose(Guest)

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2006, 10:23:40 PM »
Plus if the STB grants permission,they fix track and put up proper signs at crossings what business would say we would like to get coal by rail and should but won't because the city won't be happy.

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 01:39:04 PM »
 ;D ;D "boxcars of coal" OH MY!!!  Someone save the women and children.  I read most of the articles and I had a hard time staying in my chair as I read some of the quotes.  

80,000 tons of coal only amounts to 800 carloads, less if they use high capacity cars (over 100T net).  That's 15 cars per week.  Not exactly the Wabash Cannonball flying by your back door.  

There was at least one voice of reason calling in the wilderness when he said, "this is a terrible message to send to potential businesses that might want to locate in South Bend."

WOW
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

bando1473

• Brakeman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 09:38:21 AM »
I sincerely hope these guys planning this venture have more going for them than a handshake from the U of ND.  Having delt with ND on a business level before I can see them walking these boys off a plank to make points with the city.

Al Corwin    

big_amish

• Dispatcher
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 01:24:11 AM »
The City of South Bend's letter of revocation of the STB filing was filed July 6 and the shortlines reply was filed the same day. Basically, the only arguements the city brought up were that in the filing the branch line was referred to as leading to the "Notre Dame University in South Bend". The reply corrected this as the "University of Notre Dame near the city of South Bend". Also the city argued the line was referred to as active in the filing which is not true because the line has not been used for 10 years. The reply argued this as true as the line was never designated for abandonment with the STB and siting legal precident that no matter the condition of the line, unless it has been officially abandoned by the STB, it is still considered active to the STB. It sounds like the city is just grasping at anything it can and doesn't have much to stand on to prevent this line from being reactivated.

Greg(Guest)

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2006, 09:15:25 AM »
Isn't the bridge over the St. Joseph river , the same one with the picture of the American freedom train on the front page, part of the same route they are discussing reopening?

big_amish

• Dispatcher
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2006, 11:40:13 AM »
Isn't the bridge over the St. Joseph river , the same one with the picture of the American freedom train on the front page, part of the same route they are discussing reopening?

yes

Greg(Guest)

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2006, 12:11:01 PM »
Wow, that is pretty interesting. To be honest, I was always afraid they were going to tear down the bridge. In fact, I'm visiting South Bend in a few weeks to see my parents and had planned to get over there with a digital camera to take some pics just in case it wasnt there for my next visit.

I really hope this comes to fruition as I would love to see some action on the old line.

steve_wall

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 12:23:52 PM »
Yes, the bridge is the same one shown in my AFT picture.

steve_wall

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2006, 12:25:08 PM »
And to clarify--yes, it is on the ND line being discussed here.

Greg(Guest)

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2006, 12:33:13 PM »
I see on the picture that the word CENTRAL is on the bridge. When was the last time NYC ran on that route? Did they use it for passsenger or freight or both?

Is there a map that shows how much of the route will be used if the project happens?

Greg

• Engineer
  • North Coast Limited
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2006, 12:54:58 PM »
Actually I meant to type in YORK in the above post..
The strongest reason for the people to retain their right
to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect
themselves against tyranny in government.  

~Thomas Jefferson

steve_wall

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2006, 08:14:27 PM »
NYC and Pennsy merged in 1968 to form PC. So, the line would have last been an NYC operation prior to 68. Can't answer your question about passenger trains, but consider that by the mid 1950's, passenger service on branch lines such as this  were gone. The line ran as far north as Niles,  following U.S. 31. Some transfer runs to Niles lasted into the early 1980's, if I recall correctly. To get to the bridge, take Indiana 933 (business 31, Michigan St) to Angela Street,which is at the  south edge of ND. Go west on Angela about 2/3 mile, cross the river and the bridge is on the right.

ambrose(Guest)

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2006, 03:07:22 PM »
Did anyone read the mayors "Michiana Point of View"article a couple weeks back?He claims the engineer of the last coal train refused to cross the angela trestle and backed all the way to the main line!.Anyone hear of that.
Also I find it funny that he cites the example of the south olive track work as proof south bend is pro railroad.To me track consolidation is not the same as a line reactivation.

And check out the lastest STB filing.Now the nuns are against the new line.Too much dust and fire trucks will be blocked.

This is all so amazing.

ambrose

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2006, 10:42:31 AM »
Things look bleak for the new railroad. I had watched W.N.D.U. tv 16 from South Bend last night and they had said that the N.S. has decided not to sell the Notre Dame line to the new shortline. That meens two points for the city of South Bend and the N.S. And zilch for the new shortline. You wait and see in a few years the N.S. will try to abandon the track and there may or maynot be some public outcry on the abandonment. Then again the line gets torn up and people get bent out of shape and want to know as to what right the railroad had to tear up their own track. Or you wait and see dramatic truck traffic and the people will say i wish that we had our railroad back!!!!!!

Tom(Guest)

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2006, 06:28:48 PM »
There's a story in the South Bend Tribune today (8/15) that reads "South Bend Rail Company Deal Dead."  It states pretty much the same thing, that NS decided not to sell the line.

Going over to the Surface Transportation Board website there's a document from NS that has a title related to the sale to the CLS&SB but there's no attachment.  I would presume it was a letter or FAX announcing the pullback from the sale.

It would be interesting to learn the whole story.  Perhaps funding fell through when it became apparent that ND did not want to use this startup shortline.  Or NS simply wants to salvage the rails and be done with it, knowing now that no one would be opposed to such a move.

Before the tracks are removed for good be sure to check out the spurs coming off this rail line that weave around the old Drewery's Brewery site off this sad rail line near Portage in South Bend.  It would make a good area for modeling in N or HO scale.  Drewery's was one of two breweries serviced by this former NYC/PC/Conrail line.