Author Topic: Evansville's lost sidings and spurs  (Read 30476 times)

SOUfan

• Dispatcher
Re: Evansville's lost sidings and spurs
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2010, 06:24:48 PM »
blue2golf, I'd like to talk to you about this thread.  I'm enjoying a bit of luck getting some work done on my vastly expanding concept for a Southern Western Division book.  I could really use some help on the Evansville trackage.  If even for personal interest as my great grandad worked for the Southern off of Garvin St.  While attending school at UofE I'd wonder which tracks, because there are so damned many, he had traversed.

How can I get ahold of you?

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2010, 06:44:45 PM »
My late-grandfather was a hogger for the SOU out of Louisville.

SOUfan

• Dispatcher
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2010, 06:59:28 PM »
Very cool! Can you believe there is little if anything about the Western Division?!?! You have any old stories or photos?

storrs19

• President
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2010, 09:24:49 AM »
I assume you know that they used an electric train staff for the method of operation between Duncan and New Albany.  This was a rod that had to be inserted and run through a machine, kind of like a puzzle.  You could only occupy the track if the engineer had the staff in his possession.  Thus only one movement at a time could traverse Duncan hill.  There was a machine in each tower, the one at Duncan and the one at New Albany were connected by wire to prevent someone from using another staff to come up the hill while a train was coming down the hill.  I'm not sure when this ended but it was in use in the 1940's.

Chad
Following the remains of the B&O in Southern Indiana

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2010, 08:17:57 AM »
I stated before photographing the leased ex-BN GP50 with a few cars doing the wye at the Belt.I shot it approaching,ctossing Maxwell Ave,& "wyeing" along with its return NB recrossing Maxwell.I have the photos.

But I cant find the disk :(

I need help here because I want to post these photos but I cant.I have the photos & negatives but I cant find the disc.No one likes me anymore but come on....This is Evansville rails along with a train doing the wye.Hardly glam shots...In fact they're pretty stark given the fact that Fares Ave,Evansvilles meth,crack ho's,STD & scumbag central is just east of there.I took comfort in a couple of ironies.One,Liberty Auto Salvage & Meth Manufacture had been busted for the latter just a few weeks before yet flatbed wreckers were still using their road across/between the wye & city line yet there was no one at the yard.Secondly,at the former National City Bank at Fares & Maxwell was a warning severe weather alert siren.Given Fares Ave with its cheap nasty motels is recognized as the city "blowing zone".You could blast a dozen sirens down there in severe weather & it wont matter-the mainstays are either too zoned out from sucking hot rocks from a glass blast tube or some idiot is too busy trying to be infected with an STD to rot whats left of his once-was torquerod to care about some tornado.
You folks in Vanderburgh County really need to raise hell to put that warning siren somewhere that it will save lives before some idiot hijacks it & turns it into a giant crack cooker to impress his/her/it deluded associates how "innovative" they are. ::) :o

So please help me!
Dont put anything here that may upset a "mod".

SOUfan

• Dispatcher
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2010, 08:49:18 AM »
I assume you know that they used an electric train staff for the method of operation between Duncan and New Albany.  This was a rod that had to be inserted and run through a machine, kind of like a puzzle.  You could only occupy the track if the engineer had the staff in his possession.  Thus only one movement at a time could traverse Duncan hill.  There was a machine in each tower, the one at Duncan and the one at New Albany were connected by wire to prevent someone from using another staff to come up the hill while a train was coming down the hill.  I'm not sure when this ended but it was in use in the 1940's.

Chad

I did NOT know that.  Pretty interesting piece of info really.  I am putting together a research list for the SRHA museum and I'll be sure to add that now.  My dad had never mentioned that.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »
blue2golf, I'd like to talk to you about this thread.  I'm enjoying a bit of luck getting some work done on my vastly expanding concept for a Southern Western Division book.  I could really use some help on the Evansville trackage.  If even for personal interest as my great grandad worked for the Southern off of Garvin St.  While attending school at UofE I'd wonder which tracks, because there are so damned many, he had traversed.

How can I get ahold of you?

Hey there!  Please excuse my tardiness.  I just noticed this thread had shown some sign of life. 

I'll do what I can to help you, but I'm not sure how much assistance I can give.  Most of my knowledge is cursory.

I've sent you a P.M. for contact info.

No train expert here fellas, just your average history buff...

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »
I stated before photographing the leased ex-BN GP50 with a few cars doing the wye at the Belt.I shot it approaching,ctossing Maxwell Ave,& "wyeing" along with its return NB recrossing Maxwell.I have the photos.

But I cant find the disk :(

I need help here because I want to post these photos but I cant.I have the photos & negatives but I cant find the disc.No one likes me anymore but come on....This is Evansville rails along with a train doing the wye.Hardly glam shots...In fact they're pretty stark given the fact that Fares Ave,Evansvilles meth,crack ho's,STD & scumbag central is just east of there.I took comfort in a couple of ironies.One,Liberty Auto Salvage & Meth Manufacture had been busted for the latter just a few weeks before yet flatbed wreckers were still using their road across/between the wye & city line yet there was no one at the yard.Secondly,at the former National City Bank at Fares & Maxwell was a warning severe weather alert siren.Given Fares Ave with its cheap nasty motels is recognized as the city "blowing zone".You could blast a dozen sirens down there in severe weather & it wont matter-the mainstays are either too zoned out from sucking hot rocks from a glass blast tube or some idiot is too busy trying to be infected with an STD to rot whats left of his once-was torquerod to care about some tornado.
You folks in Vanderburgh County really need to raise hell to put that warning siren somewhere that it will save lives before some idiot hijacks it & turns it into a giant crack cooker to impress his/her/it deluded associates how "innovative" they are. ::) :o

So please help me!

We still like you.  What kind of help do you need?

xgap

• President
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2010, 08:47:33 AM »
As Coal Burner mentioned the C&EI/Southern crossing, was this interlocked in that era? Has been stop signs since the 70s. Have not found any old signal bases, approach signal to the north, etc.

pintopete

• Fireman
  • Engineer
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »
The Stockwell spur from the Southern Railroad branch line actually crossed Division Street ( now the Lloyd Expressway) and terminated at the Evansville State Hospital, as they delivered coal to their power plant.

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2010, 05:23:02 PM »
We still like you.  What kind of help do you need?
I have the photos & negatives & no idea how to post them.If that isnt bad enough,Im already conspiring to bring you down to Weinzapfels next to the EVWR line on St Phillip (along with Union Depot,Mr Elliot,& whoever else wants to participate in your on-going "Rate-A-Tavern-Burger" comparison that should have put you on staff at C&P because thats RELEVANT reporting).So I'll drag them along & someone should have a solution.

DAMN IT.
I just spilled my Japanese noodles all over the floor & the dog is snapping at the cats for clean up detail exclusivity.
I gotta clean up this mess.....Losing my grip....Literally.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2010, 09:07:54 PM »
I have the photos & negatives & no idea how to post them.If that isnt bad enough,Im already conspiring to bring you down to Weinzapfels next to the EVWR line on St Phillip (along with Union Depot,Mr Elliot,& whoever else wants to participate in your on-going "Rate-A-Tavern-Burger" comparison that should have put you on staff at C&P because thats RELEVANT reporting).So I'll drag them along & someone should have a solution.

DAMN IT.
I just spilled my Japanese noodles all over the floor & the dog is snapping at the cats for clean up detail exclusivity.
I gotta clean up this mess.....Losing my grip....Literally.

Careful with them noodles...

As for the pics....the only thing I can think of is using a scanner.  As for the negatives, I suppose you could get them developed and scan them too.

As for the tavern..why not?  Just depends on when...it's that busy time of year you know!

arobb00

• Superintendent
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2010, 05:43:35 AM »
Careful with them noodles...

As for the pics....the only thing I can think of is using a scanner.  As for the negatives, I suppose you could get them developed and scan them too.

As for the tavern..why not?  Just depends on when...it's that busy time of year you know!

they make scanners specifically for negatives... epson and HP both make them; they arent too expensive.  I think Kodak and Canon make them too. They range from 70 bucks on up. Looked on Tiger Direct... many others carry them too. Post got me thinking I wish I still had mine! 

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2011, 03:11:09 AM »
Correction to my terminology-Specifically "Mudville spur" its is called Brickyard since it went there before being yanked up between the Brickyard from Upper Mt Vernon Rd to just behind the former Geo Koch Sons facility.The line is still behind the GKS building but is chopped at Hogue Rd crossing.
This is a repost from my apology letter to the folks on Tri-State Area Railroad Group on Yahoo.Hopefully it will clear up the confusion I created.

Since I have to eat my words here (not to mention the word MUD is on the plate doesnt make it appetizing) lets just does this quick.

The crews do not call it Mudville-It is still the Brickyard switch (even though it was yanked up from the Brickyard at Tekopell near Upper Mt Vernon through the old Geo Koch Sons Upper Mt Vernon Rd facility lot across Hogue Rd to hook up with the main where it still does behind the west side Evansville Kohls store) I alone gave it the "Mudville spur" term simply because thats what the surrounding area was called for over a century back.And.like the Alco "Century" series locomotives,my term has come & gone & been proven unreliable.So for those of you listening to EVWR on Evansvilles west side you had been switching to Howell Yard frequencies whenever MVL-1 or other work extras southbound got past Belknap from EVWR's 160.815.

That much being established I have learned 2 things this week.I have heard several southbounds on the Woodlawn line on 160.815 past Belknap.Im certain they have to call Howell on approach,while working in the yard,and upon departure so they are still on CSX frequencies per area dispatched.What kicked me in the knees was a crew had to fire up the helpers

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2759.0;attach=10926;image

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2759.0;attach=10924;image

The helpers being SD40-2 6002 & the infamous 3840- GP38-2.A pair of the finest equipment to wear the GM badge sitting on the cut up remnants of  the "Brickyard awitch' Im sorry but the only brick that will be relevant in this case is the one I pass after digesting my eariler term-MUDville) I realize the confusion I have caused visiting railfans & historians by my use of this word,particularly with gas prices as they are so for that I apologize.I never intended to mislead anyone but Im afraid the damage is done.Even with localized out-of-date term I used that no map whether local or statewide would list,the real crime is EVWR letting these 2 magnificent locomotives sit around until a heavy train needs a shove over Belknap.They should go to Boise & pick up a pair of rebuilt 36oohps,be it a U-Boat o-7 -8 with a stripped cab booster inbetween and let these 2 GM's back on the front lines.

But what I have done is done & watching these 2 sit on the siding is more than likely part of my punishment.I dont want to know what else I must endure as a result of my careless words.

My apologies,

John

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »
No need to beat yourself up A.h.  I've seen those two engines sitting there as well and I had no idea why.  Now I know.  Thank you.

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2011, 05:52:38 PM »
Okay.The order was off by photo so this wont be a 1-2-3.Suffice to say,I'll fill in the blanks as best I can  1.Looking east at what was once the meeting of the Evansville 4 from Garvin Ave.The surviving NS/CSX are all thats left of this once exhange.
2.The C&EI downtown line looking toward an equally economically doubtful "commercial zone".
3.Looking at the former Marshal Field & Glove,a spurred customer of Southern & my employers preferred choice for purchasing steel toe boots,hard hats,etc.
4 The X which can be taken literally.Evansvilles city leaders X'ed out the future of the rail lines that serviced it by sending its manufacturers elsewhere.Bob Elliott,if youre reading this,it proves what you pointed out to me.I wish you were wrong though I know you meant no ill will.Thus,the truth.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:06:40 PM by Appalling hauling »

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2011, 06:22:17 PM »
Lets see here
1.Producers siding from Maxwell (designated "blowing zone" in Evansville yet they have a tornado siren.) same as 2.
3 Looking west on the Belt from Faultless Castration (the former Chrysler admin bldg) across from the rail from Hahn & Indian Industries who now occupy the once largest employer till 1959.We should attack St Charles Misery & destroy Six Flags.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:33:08 PM by Appalling hauling »

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »
Im probably a hair from getting kicked off here,but this is history folks.And Im using photos as well.The folks that know the activities of the areas I have shot know much more than I do because they were in the action.All I have is memories of watching the Belt & CE&I being systematically phased out & destroyed by an evil cult from Jacksonville Florida.Why Jeffery Dahmer never ended up CEO of that cult is a wonder to me given he practiced cannibalism and unlike Michigan,which doesnt practce capital punishment,he could bribe legitslators of states that use capital punishment to force these states to order all condemned to meet death on the same terms as they made their victims.Who the hell wants to eat Dahmer? Nuff said.
1. Producers INC.Back road next to hoppers on siding.
2.The hoppers behind Producers.I was leery that glass would coat the siding but on this hot August day,it looked like the pavement had been swept.

Appalling hauling

• President
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2011, 07:34:18 PM »
At last! A ex-BN GP50 with a Canuck flag on it? Its engineer waved but had to be thinking I was either a desperate foamer or that was my excuse to my wife to be in the Blvd of STD's :o
1.The Geep that put GM in 2nd place nosing its way past the hoppers at Producers
2.Crossing Maxwell heading to the north leg of the Belt wye
3.The tanker at the end of this small consist that could have been easily yanked by that center cab parked at Mt Vernon Co-op.Instead,someone thought this train had to have 3500hp to do the job.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2011, 07:50:52 PM »
A great set of photos topped with some Belt traffic.  Give that man a cigar!  (As usual, Bertha makes an appearance too.  She loves the camera.)