Author Topic: Cass Station near Logansport mystery solved.  (Read 2585 times)

JGN

• Superintendent
  • Interested in all Rail History!
Cass Station near Logansport mystery solved.
« on: April 05, 2009, 11:42:26 PM »
Some time ago, I had a discussion with another railfan on one of these online forums about the old County Road 600 East aka "Cass Station Road" Ft. Wayne and Wabash Valley Traction stop here in Cass County East of Logansport. I had mentioned on this forum and others of a story my dad told me about a home nearby that some of my relatives once lived in being the old station. He had told me it was moved to it's present site according to the story the family told him while they were living in that stone faced home located just East of the CR 600 East and old US 24(Logansport Road now)intersection.

I talked with a family friend who just happens to live adjacent to where the station was formerly located. He is an retired Pennsy guy and is very familiar with the interurban line that used to cross his property. He explained that the last owner/operator of the station was the Wilson family and the station was located on the current North approach of the Wabash River bridge for 600 East and was razed sometime in the 60's or early 70's. Anyone familiar with this area knows that the old Cass Station Wabash bridge is still intact, but unused and is on the West side of the current bridge that was built around 1980 or 1981. He assured me the story my dad was told is wrong and the station was indeed tore down. He doesn't have any photos either, nor knows of any of the old station. He explained the Wilson's tried to make it a general store and even a gas station for a while before turning it into a family home prior to demolition.
I won't give up looking for photos, as somewhere there has to be at least one stashed away. We can find postcards for sale on ebay of another stop just West of Cass Station for the Logansport Country Club, so why not Cass Station itself? One of these days..... Hopefully this helps some of you who might have been searching for answers about this old flag stop on the former Ft. Wayne and Wabash Valley line. Jay

Howard Pletcher

• Dispatcher
Re: Cass Station near Logansport mystery solved.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 10:02:25 PM »
Thanks Jay. I guess I can quit looking for the actual building.

Howard

wolfeden

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 09:13:44 PM »

Sad to hear that Jay. I too spent time and drove out of my way on several occasions to hopefully find that station location. We all try to preserve history in a photo when we can, but sometimes modernization beats us to the draw.

Jim

sd3

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 01:28:33 PM »
Some time ago, I had a discussion with another railfan on one of these online forums about the old County Road 600 East aka "Cass Station Road" Ft. Wayne and Wabash Valley Traction stop here in Cass County East of Logansport. I had mentioned on this forum and others of a story my dad told me about a home nearby that some of my relatives once lived in being the old station. He had told me it was moved to it's present site according to the story the family told him while they were living in that stone faced home located just East of the CR 600 East and old US 24(Logansport Road now)intersection.

I talked with a family friend who just happens to live adjacent to where the station was formerly located. He is an retired Pennsy guy and is very familiar with the interurban line that used to cross his property. He explained that the last owner/operator of the station was the Wilson family and the station was located on the current North approach of the Wabash River bridge for 600 East and was razed sometime in the 60's or early 70's. Anyone familiar with this area knows that the old Cass Station Wabash bridge is still intact, but unused and is on the West side of the current bridge that was built around 1980 or 1981. He assured me the story my dad was told is wrong and the station was indeed tore down. He doesn't have any photos either, nor knows of any of the old station. He explained the Wilson's tried to make it a general store and even a gas station for a while before turning it into a family home prior to demolition.
I won't give up looking for photos, as somewhere there has to be at least one stashed away. We can find postcards for sale on ebay of another stop just West of Cass Station for the Logansport Country Club, so why not Cass Station itself? One of these days..... Hopefully this helps some of you who might have been searching for answers about this old flag stop on the former Ft. Wayne and Wabash Valley line. Jay
Jay,
Cass Station was torn down in the fall of 1979. Emmett Stoll who was the original owner of Tall Sycamore Campground, Bob Monks (worked for Stoll), and Myself tore it down in the fall of 1979. Stoll used the lumber for outbuildings at the campground. My father purchased the remaining land from Mrs. Wilson after the State purchased the right of way for the bridge built in 80-81.

sd3

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 07:19:31 PM »
I'll be posting some pictures that my sister found of Cass Station in the next week.

sd3

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 05:42:08 PM »
North Side of Cass Station looking west down Coon Hunters RD, which used to be the rail road.

sd3

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 05:45:19 PM »
Bridge facing south, Cass Station was about 5 ft off of guard rail.

sd3

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 05:57:03 PM »
Facing North, Cass Station is on the East side 0f 600 E