Author Topic: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?  (Read 37177 times)

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Re: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?
« Reply #400 on: February 03, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »
Southbound ballast train with a CN unit and a Power Line unit at 8AM.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #401 on: February 07, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
I took a look at this Sunday, everything looks cut in. Maybe some more tamping needed, there is still balast above the ties in places.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #402 on: February 15, 2012, 10:58:57 AM »
ISRR 4043 and 1 short CMEX 41 foot covered hopper are sitting at the switch south of town.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #403 on: February 16, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »
Heard today one of the Railworks MOW equipment struck a van in Westphalia.Lights are not in operation and they claim the equipment didn't stop at the crossing.So,when you have a lighted and guarded crossing,however non operational yet,I would assume you would treat it the same as as a malfunctioning crossing?Have to flag and stop at the crossings? I take it Railworks would be at fault? No stop sign at the crossings.

Twitty

• President
« Reply #404 on: February 16, 2012, 11:04:59 PM »
Heard today one of the Railworks MOW equipment struck a van in Westphalia.Lights are not in operation and they claim the equipment didn't stop at the crossing.So,when you have a lighted and guarded crossing,however non operational yet,I would assume you would treat it the same as as a malfunctioning crossing?Have to flag and stop at the crossings? I take it Railworks would be at fault? No stop sign at the crossings.
Kind of make you wonder if the person they hit was paying any attention at all. Yeah that a tough call on who's at fault.
“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.” ~ UNKNOWN

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #405 on: February 16, 2012, 11:06:20 PM »
Oh boy...I would think Railworks is at fault.  
Are they done with most of the tamping and such up to Edwardsport? I thought about getting some pics sat or sun.
Thanks

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #406 on: February 16, 2012, 11:49:36 PM »
Kind of make you wonder if the person they hit was paying any attention at all. Yeah that a tough call on who's at fault.

Westphalia has quite a few of older people.Plus there hasn't been trains in Westphalia for about 30 years so..You would think to glance any time you cross one,lighted or not but I guess you really can't put all the blame on the driver.I would think the operator would stop before a crossing atleast.

CSX2605,haven't been any farther south than Westphalia.Haven't seen much going on atleast that far.Not sure on farther down.Last I seen they were more down towards the siding.They may still be working between Edwardsport and Westphalia.ISRR has been in Sandborn cleaning out some ditches the last few days.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #407 on: February 17, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »

Failure to yield the right of way.
Drivers Ed 101. 
 ;)

Twitty

• President
« Reply #408 on: February 18, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »
saw a 2 bay covered hopper sitting on the edwardsport line south of sandborn. also saw a southbound mixed freight south of lyons. most likely the last time ill head down that way for awhile. keep up the good work keeping us up on the progress of the line.
“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.” ~ UNKNOWN

tom1491

• Brakeman
« Reply #409 on: February 20, 2012, 10:31:26 PM »
Dustin, just wondering if you knew why they made the grade the way they did. Seems to me they made some steep grades for no reason. Especially just south of the highway 58 crossing.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #410 on: February 20, 2012, 10:42:37 PM »
Honestly,I'm not really sure.The engineer's had their way of thinking I guess. One of the rumors was that the culvert bridge,built south of the SR58 crossing, was actually built higher than they thought/planned and that threw the grade off there.Not sure if it is true or not,but that was going around for awhile.The original grade appeared to have been just about as steep though in that spot. Of course,Indiana is known for several steep but short grades.

IndyKing

• President
« Reply #411 on: February 21, 2012, 12:03:30 AM »
I'm not a civil engineer, but I wonder if it has anything to do with flooding and keeping the track above a certain elevation at specific points along the line?
Cheers, Al

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #412 on: February 21, 2012, 05:35:07 PM »
Track work looks to be done other than inside the power plant and the siding outside. Crossing arms need to be installed on the crossing gates. Here are some shots I grabbed last Sunday:

monty

• Dispatcher
« Reply #413 on: February 21, 2012, 05:44:48 PM »
Great pictures.  No doubt that I am a flat-lander.  Some of that rail looks like a roller coaster to me!  Thanks for sharing.
monty

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #414 on: February 23, 2012, 11:32:50 PM »
Southbound something went through.Wasn't using the horn so it must of been shoving,maybe more rail?

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #415 on: February 24, 2012, 01:26:49 PM »
2 cars of rail are now sitting at the switch,coupled to that CMEX car.Must be working on the trackage inside the plant now.

510Russ

• Conductor
« Reply #416 on: February 24, 2012, 10:02:53 PM »
The bend in this picture...

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2591.0;attach=32888;image

...looks a little odd to me.  Is this just a trick of the lens, or rails really laid with this bend in them (rather than a curve)?  It seems like it would be easy for a car to jump the tracks when going through it.

Then again, I'm neither an engineer nor a railroad expert...

-- Russ

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #417 on: February 25, 2012, 07:16:25 AM »
Keep in mind I zoomed in on this section and that will exaggerate curves or bumps. I think it is to keep the R of W running parallel SR 67. I'll have to look at that next time I'm up there.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #418 on: March 24, 2012, 09:43:55 PM »
It appears the crossing lights are all installed now.The trash bags are removed from the lights so they must be operational,they also have the gates up.

tom1491

• Brakeman
« Reply #419 on: March 27, 2012, 10:39:53 AM »
going to be running any trains through soon?