Author Topic: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?  (Read 71827 times)

Russ Schwartz

• Dispatcher
Re: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?
« Reply #480 on: April 28, 2012, 09:47:24 PM »
Nicely done!  I never thought I'd actually see an abandoned railroad restored to service.  This video was a nice summary of what we've been watching on there these past few years.

The next big thing -- though a tad out of scope for this board -- is the restoration of the great Lackawanna Cutoff in NJ/PA.

-- Russ

NS7112

• Dispatcher
« Reply #481 on: April 28, 2012, 10:03:08 PM »
Its been 2 years in the making and with the running of the first coal train I can call my video done & this thread closed.   ;D ;D

Very well done!

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #482 on: April 29, 2012, 10:29:44 AM »
I never thought I'd actually see an abandoned railroad restored to service.

That's a great point Russ.  I wonder about the possibility of restoring the line on down to Vincennes to make a connection with the CSX?
Cheers, Al

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #483 on: April 29, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »
That's a great point Russ.  I wonder about the possibility of restoring the line on down to Vincennes to make a connection with the CSX?

About as slim as any other rail line being un-abandoned and rebuilt.They've got millions in the line built to the north,so I see little incentive to build south just for a exclusive CSX connection..Not like they cant hand off to the INRD and then the ISRR if they actually started getting long distance coal.

shane_man15

• Mogul
  • I'll rebuild your entire GM vehicle. Just Watch.
« Reply #484 on: April 29, 2012, 11:04:42 AM »
You realize you're not the only one crazy enough to be asking the same question?  ;D

I think if there was truly a need to build the rest of the PRR back to Vincennes, they would probably build a wye where it comes back into CSX and have it signaled.
Which would eliminate the use of Ft Knox.
Shane Smiley (shane_man15)

Modeler of the Muncie, Richmond, and Fernald Railway.
Train horns are also my thing.

Still waiting on that Corvette...

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #485 on: April 29, 2012, 11:23:30 AM »
You realize you're not the only one crazy enough to be asking the same question?  ;D
Plenty more where that came from, Shane! ;D

I was actually thinking of the same kind of arrangement for Edwardsport as exists at Farmersburg, where one could access the plant from two different routes.  Still, like Russ, I am just glad to see any line restored.
Cheers, Al

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #486 on: April 29, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I had a lot of fun doing it.
Always glad to serve the railfan community.  ;)

Russ Schwartz

• Dispatcher
« Reply #487 on: April 29, 2012, 06:35:53 PM »
Of course, I have some crazy dreams, too.  While neither of these have showed up on any long-term plans I've seen, I'm hoping that, somehow, they might restore the E-L up north (e.g. to run freight so that that one of the lines through northern cities could take on high-speed passenger service), or the PRR from Richmond to Terre Haute for high-speed passenger service between Columbus, OH and St. Louis.

-- Russ

River Run

• Brakeman
« Reply #488 on: June 19, 2012, 11:55:26 PM »
Great video. I just ran into this thread last night, and sat reading everything until the wee hours of the morning. What a great thing to see, an abandoned railroad coming back to life!

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #489 on: July 03, 2012, 01:47:10 PM »
That documentary took alot of work Brian.  I'm impressed with the result.
No train expert here fellas, just your average history buff...

trainmaster53

• Jay Gould
« Reply #490 on: July 04, 2012, 09:25:36 AM »
Are they going to use Concrete Ties and Welded Rail when they Rebuild the Line? That would make for better Speed on the Line to the Connection with the INRD to get to Bear Run Mine.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #491 on: July 04, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
Are they going to use Concrete Ties and Welded Rail when they Rebuild the Line? That would make for better Speed on the Line to the Connection with the INRD to get to Bear Run Mine.

The line is 10mph right now after they put in new wooden ties.I don't see why they would invest that amount of money to make it any faster.The train always sits for hours waiting for interchange any way.

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #492 on: July 04, 2012, 05:11:29 PM »
Passed by Edwardsport this afternoon and a loaded train was setting there without power. Locos must have gone to Beehunter.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #493 on: July 04, 2012, 05:27:42 PM »
Passed by Edwardsport this afternoon and a loaded train was setting there without power. Locos must have gone to Beehunter.

It went south last night around 10:30,but wasn't around so I don't know when the power went north.They have been using the power the last several weeks for other jobs.The blue unit is back leading now.

Monon

• Conductor
« Reply #494 on: October 18, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »
I was at Dukes Energy Edwardsport Plant last week doing some work; they have at least 30 tank cars sitting in the car storage area and near a load out. I am assuming that this load out is for the sulfer by-products from the coal gasification. The word from some of the people there, is that they were going to start a tial run of the coal gasification yesterday. They have been running two of the turbines on natural gas for several months. The coal unloading facility looks to be a pull thru building. I am not sure if they have a rotary dumper as the building does not look large enough to accomodate one.

BozoTexino

• Fireman
« Reply #495 on: October 20, 2012, 07:50:35 PM »
About as slim as any other rail line being un-abandoned and rebuilt.They've got millions in the line built to the north,so I see little incentive to build south just for a exclusive CSX connection..Not like they cant hand off to the INRD and then the ISRR if they actually started getting long distance coal.

Okay, then howzabout the three and a half miles to the Bicknell Industrial park, located at the former PRR switchyard? Restoring rail service to that location would seem to be a desirable asset for at least some potential industrial clients, and it appears that all the former PRR girder bridges are still in place, save the road overpass at the north edhe of the Bicknell park. There would seem to be room at the industrial park for a wye, or at least a runaround track.  And should Alumax/Scepter Industries, a former PRR online shipper on the other [south] side of Bicknell ever resume large-scale operations in the shadow of the new Duke powerplant, their shipping options would not be limited to truck shipments.

http://freight.railfan.ca/cn/cn618144.jpg

IN1312

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #496 on: January 10, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
a lot of businesses have built directly on the old right of way north of Bicknell. Also, I wouldn't trust any of those old bridges; new ones would have to be built. Still, the short distance might be worth it if they had a good enough customer. 

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #497 on: December 30, 2013, 12:15:36 PM »
Here is the final product of the millions of dollars and thousands of hours of labor. It really puts off a nice glow you can see for miles and miles.

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #498 on: December 30, 2013, 05:57:13 PM »
You can see it real good from US 41 on the hill just north of the Emison truck stop.  I think even see it when you are between Carlisle and Oaktown on US 41.  Good shot.

IN1312

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #499 on: December 30, 2013, 11:47:30 PM »
I drive past it almost every Friday. If you drive close to it from the south, I suggest holding your breath on the north side of Bicknell. Something stinks really bad.