Author Topic: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?  (Read 33574 times)

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Re: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?
« Reply #400 on: January 22, 2012, 12:55:23 PM »
Another ballast train just rolled through and tied down at the Hawthorne switch south of town.Actually has some ballast cars in front,filled well over the top,and the rest are just coal hoppers.Two Power line engines,4051 and 4042 I believe,both on the south end.Perfect photo/video opportunity for you,Brian,when they start spreading the ballast.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #401 on: January 22, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I do need to get back up there.

Union Depot

• Dispatcher
  • Vincennes Union Depot
« Reply #402 on: January 22, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »
Was speaking with someone associated with the railroad up there and a few weeks ago, it seems there is some discussion about there being interest from the INRD (not the ISRR) toward the old Hawthorne Mine area.  I've been hearing rumors over the past several months that there is has been some parties possibly interested in reopening Hawthorne Mine back up.  But as with most of the information we hear, it is speculation and 3rd party info. at best.  I'm sure someone else here on the site could shed more info. on this?

But on positive note, that would be nice should Hawthorne become reactivated and possibly supply some coal to Edwardsport.  It would also mean some additional jobs in the area as well. 

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #403 on: January 22, 2012, 06:03:06 PM »
I hadn't heard anything about Hawthorne.With Bear Run (Peabody) mining right up to it's back door,and Triad to the south west I couldn't imagine there would be much there to get,unless you're talking about a underground mine.Most,if not all of the mine trackage is gone,along with all the loadout,as far as I know.Only the siding remains from what I've seen on the aerial maps.That being said,I always figured it would be a prime location for just a rail loadout,for what ever mine it serves.With as much coal as Peabody ships out now,adding a south loadout would greatly help also I would think.Triad runs all the way to Switz City for their loadout,having a loadout that close would help with the costs greatly I'd imagine.I know that SOO had rights to the mine trackage,does that carry over with the INRD purchase?

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #404 on: January 26, 2012, 07:08:55 PM »
Well one of the sidings must be done because the ballast train spread ballast today and came back with the power on the north end.So now they can run around and couple to the north end instead of shoving back towards Switz City.Train is tied down at the Hawthorn switch,I'd say the crew will take it north to interchange sometime late this evening.

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #405 on: January 26, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »
That is more than likely the siding that starts just north of Edwardsport.
Dustin, how has the line taken all the flooding on the White River?
I'm going to try to come up Saturday if the stars will align.  ;D

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #406 on: January 26, 2012, 11:10:36 PM »
I haven't been over to look since the latest flooding,but when I checked last month it was holding the water back fine,and didnt seem to pose much of a threat unless we are talking a major flood.I imagine anything over maybe 26 feet may be a concern.Of course,I don't remember the stage for when they would start sandbagging the old plant anyway..

Train did go north about 7:40 this evening..

tom1491

• Brakeman
« Reply #407 on: January 27, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
26 feet? that's what the record flood of 2008 was. Wont be that high very often lol. I would think that a flood stage of 20-22 feet would impact the railroad.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #408 on: January 27, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »
The stage was about 29-something here in 2008.The railroad is elevated enough I really don't see it being flooded without a MAJOR flood.In 2008 when the levee was breached,the old ROW is what kept a majority of the water away from SR67.The old ROW into Edwardsport is lower than the new ROW,so I don't see it being flooded easily.At 25 feet the r.r. trafic is halted at Elnora.Between 25-26 feet usually gets the lower part of Edwardsport flooded.20-22 feet doesn't affect the Knox County side of the White river too much,atleast here.

tom1491

• Brakeman
« Reply #409 on: January 30, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »
I just checked. Your right it was 29. Anyway I doubt if the river actually impacts the railroad except maybe once every few years. Any idea when they are going to start hauling coal through there. Heard on the news that the rail spur is over 90% done.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #410 on: January 30, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »
Yeah,I don't figure there is much concern with it,if there is,then the water is going to be high enough everyone will be concerned.Hard to say about hauling coal.They are still dumping ballast on the main section. I'm not sure about trackage inside the plant.Someone said March completion date?I'm not even sure when they are planning to go online but they will be stockpiling coal well before that day comes I'm sure.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #411 on: February 03, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »
Southbound ballast train with a CN unit and a Power Line unit at 8AM.

indyspy

• Mogul
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #412 on: February 07, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
I took a look at this Sunday, everything looks cut in. Maybe some more tamping needed, there is still balast above the ties in places.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #413 on: February 15, 2012, 10:58:57 AM »
ISRR 4043 and 1 short CMEX 41 foot covered hopper are sitting at the switch south of town.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #414 on: February 16, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »
Heard today one of the Railworks MOW equipment struck a van in Westphalia.Lights are not in operation and they claim the equipment didn't stop at the crossing.So,when you have a lighted and guarded crossing,however non operational yet,I would assume you would treat it the same as as a malfunctioning crossing?Have to flag and stop at the crossings? I take it Railworks would be at fault? No stop sign at the crossings.

Twitty

• President
« Reply #415 on: February 16, 2012, 11:04:59 PM »
Heard today one of the Railworks MOW equipment struck a van in Westphalia.Lights are not in operation and they claim the equipment didn't stop at the crossing.So,when you have a lighted and guarded crossing,however non operational yet,I would assume you would treat it the same as as a malfunctioning crossing?Have to flag and stop at the crossings? I take it Railworks would be at fault? No stop sign at the crossings.
Kind of make you wonder if the person they hit was paying any attention at all. Yeah that a tough call on who's at fault.
“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.” ~ UNKNOWN

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #416 on: February 16, 2012, 11:06:20 PM »
Oh boy...I would think Railworks is at fault.  
Are they done with most of the tamping and such up to Edwardsport? I thought about getting some pics sat or sun.
Thanks

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #417 on: February 16, 2012, 11:49:36 PM »
Kind of make you wonder if the person they hit was paying any attention at all. Yeah that a tough call on who's at fault.

Westphalia has quite a few of older people.Plus there hasn't been trains in Westphalia for about 30 years so..You would think to glance any time you cross one,lighted or not but I guess you really can't put all the blame on the driver.I would think the operator would stop before a crossing atleast.

CSX2605,haven't been any farther south than Westphalia.Haven't seen much going on atleast that far.Not sure on farther down.Last I seen they were more down towards the siding.They may still be working between Edwardsport and Westphalia.ISRR has been in Sandborn cleaning out some ditches the last few days.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #418 on: February 17, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »

Failure to yield the right of way.
Drivers Ed 101. 
 ;)

Twitty

• President
« Reply #419 on: February 18, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »
saw a 2 bay covered hopper sitting on the edwardsport line south of sandborn. also saw a southbound mixed freight south of lyons. most likely the last time ill head down that way for awhile. keep up the good work keeping us up on the progress of the line.
“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.” ~ UNKNOWN