Author Topic: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?  (Read 71811 times)

Appalling hauling

• President
Re: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 08:06:13 AM »
We have seat belt laws here in Indiana!  ;D
Uh-huh,they shake you down for $50 for violating mandatory bondage within your own vehicle!

INDOT has been REAL busy with this freight on statewide 800 even through the weekend.They hit a few dead spots & regressed to CB channel 5 (which got them harassed by every other trucker! ;D) Its been interesting listening
Dont put anything here that may upset a "mod".

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 08:42:32 PM »
The MRI power that has been stored near the old Peabody mine near sandborn, was moved last week. It currently is park in Marco on ISRR line.
I am sure it did not move on it own power has it has been park for 6-7 years.
High & Dry Line

CONRAIL1981

• Dispatcher
  • The RR is no longer in my back yard
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 11:56:03 AM »
I am sure the Diamond will not be replace. It was remove to eliminate the maintenance cost of a diamond and the cost to improve signals on the south side of the diamond. It has work well with the two railroads for the interchange of cars.

A flange type setup is a good alternative to a true diamond.  This is how the UP crosses the BNSF on an old CNW branchline out here.  It literally has the train ride over the rails and in the flanges.  I don't think the speed restriction for this type of setup would be an issue either out there. 
Paul Akers is the place to be.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »
Well Dustin, this topic needs another update.  It is my understanding that no work will start this year. Now whether anything will begin in January if weather permits, who knows. I think they are still working on R of W aquisition. I have'nt heard anything lately on the line so thats why there has been no posts for a while. I would like to get some pictures of the R of W before work begins.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2009, 11:56:27 AM »
That GP wasn't sitting in Marco last night.It's on its' way somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:28:18 PM by Dustin »

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2010, 07:56:18 PM »
Outside Sandborn today I noticed an excavator near the railroad tracks once they cross over 67 to run to Hawthorne.About a year ago the bridge had recieved some damage when they were cleaning out the ditch.The handrail on the side was knocked off.I just wonder if it had sustained damage because there is a derailer downtown in Sandborn.Anyway,with them slated to start construction this year it got me wondering if they will use the Hawthorne lead and the double track to do some storage and switching.I believe they done that a few years ago after the mine closed.ISRR currently drops off coal on the Marco side of Bee Hunter for INRD interchange and when INRD brings them back they park them on the ISRR main north.With traffic coming in there everyday it seems that they will have to find a different interchange point or build a siding to drop off those cars doesn't it?And with ISRR serving the plant it seems a wye would be in order so they could come off the INRD and go south without crossing 67 and shoving in,doesn't it?It will be interesting to see construction begin on the new track and what plans they have around Bee Hunter.I will have to get pictures before any ground work begins.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:31:50 AM by Dustin »

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »
Thanks for the update Dustin. I never thought about the coal trains once the power plant gets up and running. We shall see how many tracks they build. As I understand it Duke is building the spur.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 01:25:06 PM »
Well,the excavator is gone now,and the bridge still stands.Earlier in the week there was some riprap dumped by the tracks and some even piled up on the rails so I don't know whats going on.I heard that culverts would be used instead of bridges in most places.Also the ex depot/station in Westphalia turned house was rumored to have been bought by Duke to be demolished.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:44:11 AM by Dustin »

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2010, 05:58:16 PM »
Here are pictures of the depot.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:33:29 AM by Dustin »

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2010, 08:47:21 PM »
Well,I found out something I didn't know.My friend owns a house in Westphalia along the old ROW and I learned today that he has sold to Duke and has to be out by the end of March so that gives a clue towards the time frame of construction.There have been a few people cutting down smaller trees along the old ROW for firewood before it is all knocked down.I learned a little more from a farmer who has land adjoining the ROW.The want to use some of his land for a temporary storage site when they start the actual construction of the track after ground work is done.I did get a copy of a blue print showing the design for a culvert going over a ditch south of Sandborn.100 foot right of way through there.So will the new construction be welded rail or do they still use jointed rail in new construction?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:31:59 PM by Dustin »

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2010, 05:27:08 PM »
I would imagine that it would be welded rail, unless they have a significant supply of jointed rail, and even then I doubt they wouldnt lay welded rail.

Christian
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

hallbf

• Conductor
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2010, 09:55:07 PM »
Jointed rail is still manufactured although it more typically comes in 80' lengths instead of 39'.  I know of one recently opened mine loadout that was constructed with new 136lb jointed rail.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2010, 10:37:35 PM »
Someone said the spur for Bear Run was welded but I don't know for sure.I just wondered how they will go about laying the rail and if it will come in on a train as continous pieces or as seperate jointed rail.I wonder if they will even bother installing a switch to Hawthorne.One thing is for sure,with construction starting on this line it will get interesting.The ISRR needs to start planning on replacing a few ties on this section too.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:32:58 PM by Dustin »

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2010, 09:37:10 AM »
In most cases it depends on several factors.
If they can have direct access to drop the welded rail, which this would be the case.
The cost of field welding the joint rail.
and then the cost of the installation.  I was told back when they built Central States that it cost more to lay welded rail then jointed rail and this was a reason they did it, and because field welds can be done later.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2010, 03:57:29 PM »
Considerable logging has been going on at the ROW north of Westphalia.I don't know if it is a individual or a contracted job but I think there is a logging truck parked nearby.Hard to say whether the owner is taking advantage of the wood before Duke cuts it,or if it is Duke contracting the work out.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:33:25 PM by Dustin »

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2010, 06:43:44 PM »
Thanks Dustin. Keep us posted on happenings up that way. I must get up there soon!

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2010, 10:09:52 PM »
I heard from another farmer earlier the owner of the property is having someone else cut the trees down.A pretty small operation as they cut them with the chain saw and drag them with the skidder.I reckon part of the deal for selling the land was to let the owner make the profit from the trees since Duke was going to have to pay and have them chopped anyway if not.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:33:47 PM by Dustin »

buckeyehoosier

• Engineer
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2010, 03:38:37 PM »
I want to make another trip up that way once the rebuilding commences. Any word on when rails will start going down at end of track at Hawthorne? Thanks for keeping us out of towners updated.  ;) 8)
Continuing my never ending quest for the dormant, the derelict and the decaying.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2010, 12:29:17 AM »
I haven't heard a time frame.Im *guessing* what trees and brush that havent all ready been cleared will be started to be cleared around the first of April,and then from there ground work on what old ROW they will use,and ground work for building the new ROW where they are changing it.I haven't heard of any bids from any contractors to do ground work.I'm assuming Duke will contract that out.I imagine there won't be any new rail laid before the end of summer,maybe even fall.Weather,cost,obstacles,and production will determine.I've been noticing the signal maintainer here,more.Maybe it's just Im paying more attention.I'd imagine the ISRR will be doing some track work here this summer putting in new ties as it needs it!

buckeyehoosier

• Engineer
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2010, 12:34:51 AM »
Thanks for the info. I love the scenery in that area and really wanna head back as soon as possible.  ;D

Continuing my never ending quest for the dormant, the derelict and the decaying.