Author Topic: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?  (Read 36776 times)

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Re: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?
« Reply #380 on: December 29, 2011, 09:04:12 AM »
Another southbound ballast train rolled through at 8:30 this morning..

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #381 on: January 10, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
Time for another update. Another ballast train went through the other day and was spreading more ballast along the new construction.Railworks are using their MOW equipment on the line doing what they do best.The crossing lights all appear to have been installed from what I can tell,but I don't think any are hooked up yet.3 more cars of rail are sitting on the Hawthorn spur across from SR67,they have been there about a week now.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #382 on: January 11, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »
I think Railworks is down to building track in the plant itself. I believe there are 7 tracks to build in the plant. Looks like they may make the March completion date.  Like you said Dustin, a lot of tamping to do on the line.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #383 on: January 11, 2012, 12:31:27 PM »
I think Railworks is down to building track in the plant itself. I believe there are 7 tracks to build in the plant. Looks like they may make the March completion date.  Like you said Dustin, a lot of tamping to do on the line.

Id suspect a loop setup in the plant?  Or does anyone know?

Bob

• Dispatcher
« Reply #384 on: January 11, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
The track plan as of spring 2010 did NOT include a loop track.  Of course, that may have changed by now.  If they want to have the option to ship coal in by rail you would think there would be one - right  ???

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #385 on: January 11, 2012, 01:28:57 PM »
The track plan as of spring 2010 did NOT include a loop track.  Of course, that may have changed by now.  If they want to have the option to ship coal in by rail you would think there would be one - right  ???

You would think, but I guess in the same thought you can just have a long set of tracks and pull of shove to dump, then run around it.  But considering most places have loops now, unless space is an issue.

IndyKing

• President
« Reply #386 on: January 11, 2012, 06:57:22 PM »
If they want to have the option to ship coal in by rail you would think there would be one - right  ???

Unless they are planning for a balloon track?  If there is no loop then that might suggest that they will have a switcher on site :)
Cheers, Al

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #387 on: January 11, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »
Unless they are planning for a balloon track?  If there is no loop then that might suggest that they will have a switcher on site :)

Balloon/loop = same thing in this discussion.   ;D

I wondered about a switcher on site, but that all depends on how they dump em too. 
I'd be inclined to think that the inbound power just stays with the cars, as there is little incentive to have the power back while the cars sit.

IndyKing

• President
« Reply #388 on: January 11, 2012, 07:03:55 PM »
Balloon/loop = same thing in this discussion.   ;D

Oops! :-[  I guess I was thinking runaround siding.
Cheers, Al

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #389 on: January 11, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
No loop or balloon tracks. Just a stub end yard. I don't think they can "run around" a train in the plant. Shove and switch operation. My guess is space requirements. Duke will take care of rail operations from Sandborn Jct. on south. I'll try to get some photos soon.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #390 on: January 22, 2012, 12:55:23 PM »
Another ballast train just rolled through and tied down at the Hawthorne switch south of town.Actually has some ballast cars in front,filled well over the top,and the rest are just coal hoppers.Two Power line engines,4051 and 4042 I believe,both on the south end.Perfect photo/video opportunity for you,Brian,when they start spreading the ballast.

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #391 on: January 22, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I do need to get back up there.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #392 on: January 22, 2012, 06:03:06 PM »
I hadn't heard anything about Hawthorne.With Bear Run (Peabody) mining right up to it's back door,and Triad to the south west I couldn't imagine there would be much there to get,unless you're talking about a underground mine.Most,if not all of the mine trackage is gone,along with all the loadout,as far as I know.Only the siding remains from what I've seen on the aerial maps.That being said,I always figured it would be a prime location for just a rail loadout,for what ever mine it serves.With as much coal as Peabody ships out now,adding a south loadout would greatly help also I would think.Triad runs all the way to Switz City for their loadout,having a loadout that close would help with the costs greatly I'd imagine.I know that SOO had rights to the mine trackage,does that carry over with the INRD purchase?

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #393 on: January 26, 2012, 07:08:55 PM »
Well one of the sidings must be done because the ballast train spread ballast today and came back with the power on the north end.So now they can run around and couple to the north end instead of shoving back towards Switz City.Train is tied down at the Hawthorn switch,I'd say the crew will take it north to interchange sometime late this evening.

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #394 on: January 26, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »
That is more than likely the siding that starts just north of Edwardsport.
Dustin, how has the line taken all the flooding on the White River?
I'm going to try to come up Saturday if the stars will align.  ;D

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #395 on: January 26, 2012, 11:10:36 PM »
I haven't been over to look since the latest flooding,but when I checked last month it was holding the water back fine,and didnt seem to pose much of a threat unless we are talking a major flood.I imagine anything over maybe 26 feet may be a concern.Of course,I don't remember the stage for when they would start sandbagging the old plant anyway..

Train did go north about 7:40 this evening..

tom1491

• Brakeman
« Reply #396 on: January 27, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
26 feet? that's what the record flood of 2008 was. Wont be that high very often lol. I would think that a flood stage of 20-22 feet would impact the railroad.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #397 on: January 27, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »
The stage was about 29-something here in 2008.The railroad is elevated enough I really don't see it being flooded without a MAJOR flood.In 2008 when the levee was breached,the old ROW is what kept a majority of the water away from SR67.The old ROW into Edwardsport is lower than the new ROW,so I don't see it being flooded easily.At 25 feet the r.r. trafic is halted at Elnora.Between 25-26 feet usually gets the lower part of Edwardsport flooded.20-22 feet doesn't affect the Knox County side of the White river too much,atleast here.

tom1491

• Brakeman
« Reply #398 on: January 30, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »
I just checked. Your right it was 29. Anyway I doubt if the river actually impacts the railroad except maybe once every few years. Any idea when they are going to start hauling coal through there. Heard on the news that the rail spur is over 90% done.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #399 on: January 30, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »
Yeah,I don't figure there is much concern with it,if there is,then the water is going to be high enough everyone will be concerned.Hard to say about hauling coal.They are still dumping ballast on the main section. I'm not sure about trackage inside the plant.Someone said March completion date?I'm not even sure when they are planning to go online but they will be stockpiling coal well before that day comes I'm sure.