Author Topic: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?  (Read 71810 times)

buckeyehoosier

• Engineer
Re: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 10:34:45 PM »
Never been there but it looked like a big old green pond to me.  ;D

Thanks!  8)

The aerial map must be old. The rail cars have been gone for a year, the engine ex SP unit was still their in January. I am not sure want you are talking about ponds, but you can drive on gravel roads though the old mine north to Ind 159 to Dugger. You can see the new Big Bear mine.
Continuing my never ending quest for the dormant, the derelict and the decaying.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 06:33:49 AM »
Here is a shot of the old GP 9 that is there at the mine. Its not in very good condition.

http://csxbig4.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1383438

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 05:05:02 PM »
That is a lake that runs north to south on the east side of the old temple when the mine was open. There is a gravel road that runs just west of the lake. If you take that road north to IND 159, it will take to Dugger. Pebody still has a office at the old mine temple site.
High & Dry Line

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 11:35:22 PM »
I posted some information about this line over in Historic Railroads.

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=2902.0

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »
Duke is planning to move some heavy equipment.

Sections of Duke Energy's $2.34 Billion Edwardsport power plant will move through Knox County. Bigge Crane and Rigging has been hired to move several oversize pieces of equipment that will be the first of their kind used anywhere in the world at the Edwardsport site. The equipment will be moved by barge to Mt. Vernon, IN on the Ohio River and then transported up U.S. 41.
  It's estimated that the entire transportation from start to finish will take six to eight months. Among the pieces transported will be what's called a radiant syngas cooler and a heat recovery steam generator, both of which recapture heat from the combustion of coal to cycle back into the energy-producing process.
  A project manager for Bigge attended a county commisioners meeting to ask for permission to use county roads as part of the route. "This is very specialized equipment that helps clean the coal before it burns," he said. "Most of the loads would be moved during the day, but our equipment is very slow and may cause some traffic backups."
  The equipment is large and heavy, weighing from 60,00 to 500,000 pounds. It will be transported on special trailers that have a large number of wheels underneath to distribute the weight of each load evenly.

I heard today that WIN Energy will have to raise about 200 electric lines so the equipment can clear the wires!!!   :o
Bigge will pay for moving the lines. Whats a few hundred thousand out of a couple billion bucks!! 

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 07:28:01 AM »
Bet they wish the tracks were NEVER torn out...

Hindsight is always 20/20.... But more often than not, they don't care. :(
Former resident of Indiana, now living at the beach in NC

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »
I notice last week, that there was some pink paint on the Rails at sandborn where the track will have to be re align to go south from old Hawthorn mine. I was by their today and a survey crew has started there prep work.
High & Dry Line

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 02:37:31 PM »
I have no clue the deal of putting back the diamond.
The issue is cost, is it saving enough for the crews not to have to run around the train and get it into position and the time savings.

Its always about money, not about the ease of the movement.

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 11:05:49 AM »
I am sure the Diamond will not be replace. It was remove to eliminate the maintenance cost of a diamond and the cost to improve signals on the south side of the diamond. It has work well with the two railroads for the interchange of cars.
High & Dry Line

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 10:37:56 PM »
Some of the equipment is being transported to Edwardsport via truck. It's coming from Mt. Vernon off the Ohio River and goes to Poseyville-Owensville-Ft. Branch then up US 41 at a whopping 15mph. Once at Vincennes they will go on SR 61-SR 241 to Wheatland, east on US 50 then take a county road to SR 550 to SR 67 to Edwardsport.
This thing weighs 200,000lbs. They have 2 more trips to make like this. I believe there are a total of 8 trips of carrying equipment.

Looking at the size of this thing, would it have been possible to even move it by rail? I don't know the dimensions of this cargo. It looks like it wouldn't fit through some rail bridges. What's the name of that big load car, Schnabel or something like that, maybe it could handle it.
Here it is setting at Vincennes on Thursday evening.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 09:54:06 AM »
I seriously doubt the Schnabel could carry this load. It wouldn't be the weight of the car, but the width of the load that would be the issue.
Former resident of Indiana, now living at the beach in NC

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 04:36:33 PM »
Also note the cradle it is sitting in, like it is not self-supporting.  To use a Schnabel car, the load is bolted between the ends and "becomes part of the car".  If it is not structurally strong enough, you can't use a schnable car.
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
  • Notch eight and sanding!
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 10:28:47 PM »
Are you sure they are taking it all the way out Hwy 61 to Monroe city?  There are some pretty hairy turns on 61.  It would make more sense to simply run it up 67 to Edwardsport.
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 10:37:16 PM »
I'm willing to bet that the railroad position was explored during the "transportation" end of things.
Probably clearance issues.  Each railroad has known clearance routes they ship High and Wides over, and the issue becomes the cost of shipping over a small segment of rail, such as that listed. 
It was probably cheaper to ship via truck from the river north, then via rail, due to the reality of needing a transload location alone!  Much easier to transload to a truck then to a rail car!

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 10:47:38 PM »
Are you sure they are taking it all the way out Hwy 61 to Monroe city?  There are some pretty hairy turns on 61.  It would make more sense to simply run it up 67 to Edwardsport.
Yes they are going to Monroe City then to Wheatland and on to Robinson Rd then north to 550. They even had to build a road to get onto 550. 550 to SR 67 at Bruceville. US 41 is down to a 2 lane highway because of construction from Vincennes to Emison. I know its a twisted route but I guess its the best they could do.

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 08:54:17 PM »
I first question the route. there is currently construction on US 41 from 6th st North. They our lowering the grade under two bridges south of Hwy 67 onto US 41.
High & Dry Line

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2009, 12:08:15 AM »
Duke was wanting to start construction on the line this year but its not looking like that will happen. Duke is still in the process of obtaining property. Outside chance to start this year but its a slim one. At Westphalia they need to move the old R of W away from SR 67. On one county road a school bus cannot fit between the highway and the old alignment so houses will have to be torn down to move the R of W at the road. Duke will build and maintain the line, the RR will operate trains on it.

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2009, 02:33:22 PM »
The press release that Duke put out this spring, was the right a way was all purchase last Fall.

The house in Westphalia, I thing is a old PPR station?
High & Dry Line

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2009, 10:28:59 PM »
They are bringing more equipment in by truck. Bigge brought in this piece which weighs a whopping ONE MILLION lbs!!! They brought it on the weekend so as not to effect business day traffic. Came to Vincennes around 4 O'Clock runinng a break neck speed of 10-15 mph up US 41. A guy sets on the back and steers this thing around corners and such.
Notice the one picture of the I-Beam. Its bent from the trucks starting and stopping. I don't see how it holds up.
I don't think a railcar could handle this momma!   :)  I wonder how much this freight bill will be! Put it on my Visa!  :o

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
  • Notch eight and sanding!
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 07:56:48 AM »
We have seat belt laws here in Indiana!  ;D
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."