Author Topic: CIND: Greensburg to Shelbyville  (Read 33437 times)

OSIJ

• Engineer
Re: CIND: Greensburg to Shelbyville
« Reply #280 on: November 04, 2014, 08:09:33 AM »
Was a westbound rack through Greensburg around 0445 hrs Tues morning. He was moving unusually slow, then came back engine light an hour or so later.  The area of trees around Greensburg milling  hasn't seen anything but an occasional homeless person, and several years ago a rape, and a murder. Separate incidents.

arobb00

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #281 on: November 04, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »
No.  And when it does expand in the future and a greater level of service is needed, no reason to think CIND turns it over to CSXT for them to serve (nor would Honda likely be agreeable).  And no reason to think CIND shorthauls themselves by turning it over to CSXT in Shelbyville.  Plus, even before the first auto carrier, loaded or empty, can operate via an interchange OTHER than Cincinnati, a new pooling agreement with TTX would be required.  The current pooling agreement was put together when TTX was very long on cars and is VERY favorable to CIND.  Any new agreement is certainly not going as "friendly" which would increase car hire costs for CIND. 

Someday the westend will reopen - I just don't see Honda traffic as the trigger.

This does make me wonder what, if any, infrastructure changes they (CIND) would need to make to handle double the Honda business? It's said the 2nd clone plant is just a few years down the road.  It would, one would think, double the movements needed - would they have to expand Valley yard and add sidings? It seems it would increase congestion at Cincinnati even more as well...  Logistically what would it take for CIND to handle that much extra traffic going east - and still effectively serve the other customers on the line?  I know this was from a few days ago but I found I had missed  a few posts somehow or another - including the one from Scrap about the plot next to Greensburg Milling (thanks for the reply btw!)

ghartman

• Brakeman
« Reply #282 on: November 04, 2014, 12:48:43 PM »
there were 25-30 empty racks sitting between valley and powells at 5am,  had a fred on east end but no power on west end. is it possible they doubled the hill from there? shouldn't this be on really big news topics board under cind ops 

arobb00

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #283 on: November 04, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »
there were 25-30 empty racks sitting between valley and powells at 5am,  had a fred on east end but no power on west end. is it possible they doubled the hill from there? shouldn't this be on really big news topics board under cind ops

it could have been but the question is related to the Greensburg-Shelbyville section too since any potential infrastructure or traffic changes caused by doubling of Honda traffic could possibly involve the line west of Greensburg (as Honda is west of Greensburg) but I see your point as well.

k9fon

• Dispatcher
« Reply #284 on: February 28, 2015, 03:46:39 PM »
Doesn't the elevator in St Paul use rail service?

scraphauler

• Mogul
  • Making a living playing with trains since 1990
« Reply #285 on: February 28, 2015, 04:41:42 PM »
No.  Used to.  They where cut off during Honda construction, used it once or twice right after line reopened and have not used since.  Can't now with line out of service west of Adams.

Frmr IO Dispatcher

• Fireman
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2015, 04:45:59 PM »
Scrap...is there any desire by St. Paul to use rail? Also I remember back in our I & O days there was talk of the quarry at St. Paul using rail...seems far fetched but???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dispatcher KS

scraphauler

• Mogul
« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
Heard "rumor" there where " collections issues" with elevator that caused discontinuance of service.  As for quarry, owners of facility have a joint venture with Melvin Stones parent company so is plausible they could supplement Melvin's deal at Undercliff.

I talked to quarry owner back in 2013 about renting their track for a special project.  They had no objection but railroad really didn't want me to do it.  Of course, that's an administration or two ago for I&O do who knows current thinking.

arobb00

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #288 on: March 01, 2015, 10:35:27 AM »
Seems there would have to be some significant work done to the siding that the quarry spur comes off of; plus that and the spur into the quarry was pretty badly over-grown last time I was down that way, last Fall.  I could see them potentially eventually shipping again one day but I think any real chance of that would come if the line west of G'burg ever reopens (or better yet get the entire line to Indy from CSX)

scraphauler

• Mogul
« Reply #289 on: March 01, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »
Had a contractor look at it and price it out - to get safe for switching, need to clear brush, replace about every 5th tie, line - was looking at less than $150,000.  Plus cost of busting open county road crossing which would have been discussed with Shelby County Commissioners if it would have ever gotten that far.  Figure another $150-200K to rehab passing track if needed.  All off memory. 

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #290 on: March 01, 2015, 06:58:30 PM »
You're not a "sexy" enough customer for the Ohio Valley to get that kind of service  ;)

I know a great, great place that has six brand new tracks and all the space in the world for you too! It's just a two hour drive. It's that "other" site Honda looked at.  ;)

:(
Heard "rumor" there where " collections issues" with elevator that caused discontinuance of service.  As for quarry, owners of facility have a joint venture with Melvin Stones parent company so is plausible they could supplement Melvin's deal at Undercliff.

I talked to quarry owner back in 2013 about renting their track for a special project.  They had no objection but railroad really didn't want me to do it.  Of course, that's an administration or two ago for I&O do who knows current thinking.

scraphauler

• Mogul
« Reply #291 on: March 01, 2015, 08:08:44 PM »
You're not a "sexy" enough customer for the Ohio Valley to get that kind of service  ;)

I'm too sexy for the CINDy
Too sexy for the CINDy
Ohio Valley wishes they could be me

I'm a railroader and you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah, on the catwalk
On the catwalk, yeah
I do my little turn on the catwalk

I know a great, great place that has six brand new tracks and all the space in the world for you too! It's just a two hour drive. It's that "other" site Honda looked at.  ;)

Yeah, but, it still served by IORY  :P   Next odd ball project will in the neighborhood will probably go to Chris and Dan in Ba Ta Vee Uh