Author Topic: IMC brush-clearing  (Read 66331 times)

monty

• Dispatcher
Re: IMC brush-clearing
« Reply #660 on: October 10, 2014, 09:20:39 AM »
I have observed that on several rural Tipton County roads, crossbucks have been freshly painted on the surface of the approaches to the IMC line.  I doubt this has anything to do with the status of the railroad, but I do find it mildly curious.  There are but a few miles of county roadway that even have center line stripes.  I recall way back in this or another thread that NS applied for some grant money to improve grade crossing warnings in the Sharpsville area.  Perhaps this action is a result of that?
monty

monty

• Dispatcher
« Reply #661 on: October 15, 2014, 12:04:49 PM »
Upon further review, it appears that most all of the Tipton County roads crossing the IMC (north of Tipton) have gotten the plastic / striping of crossbucks and stop road markings.  This is very unusual for the area.  The last time this happened was perhaps in the mid 1980's at the last major rehab of the line that included replacing the grade crossing rail.  There have been no such street markings in the town of Sharpsville though.  I did notice that the crossbuck sign posts in town have new NS blue ID signs (reporting phone number) attached to them.  The only signal protected street crossing did not get this "upgrade."  The railroad did spray / mow the ROW through town, as per usual, but there is an abundance of growth elsewhere along the line.

In Kokomo, the damaged rail that resulted from last fall's tornadoe (where the house was moved across the railroad) is still in disrepair.  The city has immaculately maintained the entire ROW along the walking trail. 

Maybe some day some life will return to this section of the IMC.   
monty

NSHuntingtonDistrict

• Superintendent
« Reply #662 on: October 15, 2014, 08:44:09 PM »
The blue NS signs have been popping up on crossings along the Wabash on private crossings and cross buck county road crossings, so I would guess it's a system or region wide initiative.
Extra board livin'

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #663 on: October 17, 2014, 06:30:03 AM »
It is...but why spend a cent on the line...
All I can say is there have been recent rumblings again. 

Trainman19

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #664 on: October 17, 2014, 09:54:51 AM »
Interest in this topic again arises, from me.

What are these "rumblings"?
18 down, 2 to go.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #665 on: October 17, 2014, 10:28:44 AM »
This has been so on again, and off again, it's getting stupid......lol
If in doubt, Notch it out!

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #666 on: October 18, 2014, 10:05:17 AM »
Really just 2 times that I know.

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #667 on: October 18, 2014, 04:44:10 PM »
The current mess that NS is in traffic wise, nothing is impossible. They handed over to the Ohio Central an empty coal train a couple of days ago to take east. That hasn't happened since 2010 when the OC was moving a train or two a day for NS. Bellevue is such a mess they dragged 400 cars to Portsmouth to flat switch this week. Quite a few trains staged in Portsmouth waiting to try and head towards Bellevue. If the secondary lines can take some of the burden away from the main lines then there's aways hope....

monty

• Dispatcher
« Reply #668 on: October 31, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »
I've gotten a chance to check several Tipton County grade crossings for the new roadway painted crossbucks.  It seems that what NS typically maintains in conjunction with the Frankfort line in the Tipton area did not receive the new markings.  So on the IMC, this is from the CR 200 W crossing south to the Frankfort line - did not get any of this treatment.  North of 200 W did get the new markings on all county roads except for the streets in the town of Sharpsville.  There are no such applications made in any part of Howard County that I've observed. 

monty

k9fon

• Dispatcher
« Reply #669 on: October 31, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
The current mess that NS is in traffic wise, nothing is impossible. They handed over to the Ohio Central an empty coal train a couple of days ago to take east. That hasn't happened since 2010 when the OC was moving a train or two a day for NS. Bellevue is such a mess they dragged 400 cars to Portsmouth to flat switch this week. Quite a few trains staged in Portsmouth waiting to try and head towards Bellevue. If the secondary lines can take some of the burden away from the main lines then there's aways hope....

Yeah and the WLR here in NE Indiana is plugged up like a cheap toilet with crewless trains that are waiting a relief crew.. Not enough employees and too many trains..

NSHuntingtonDistrict

• Superintendent
« Reply #670 on: October 31, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
NS can't expand the training center fast enough. They put off doing hiring sessions for a while because it was back logged with Bellevue trainees. Supposedly it's supposed to be finished soon.
Extra board livin'

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #671 on: November 01, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
This is a thread about the IMC.   ;)