Author Topic: Unit Pipe Trains on CIND  (Read 12790 times)

Cheviot_Hill

• Conductor
Re: Unit Pipe Trains on CIND
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2009, 10:21:56 PM »
This topic has gone away for a while, thought I'd start it up again with a question or two.
I'm assuming the pipe for this gas line I think it was, which is running from Colorado to New Jersy, is now going thru the very hilly parts of eastern Indiana, just east and south of Brookville Indiana. It's a site to see with the big cuts their putting into the hill sides.
Anyway my question is this. Is CIND getting any of this business with more pipe trains going to just south of Brookville? My thoughts are no due to weight restrictions on the line, but I thought I'd toss it out there.

I saw where the trench is cut into the hills on both sides of the Brookville Branch line, the ROW had orange markers for where the line presumably will go under the tracks.
Wish I had my camera with me it would of made  for some good photos.

-Patrick

INprinter

• The Working Man from Shelbyville!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • K9SVL
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM »
Most of the pipe for this stretch of the pipeline came up the CIND from Cincinnati and was unloaded into a farmers field just west of Adams, IN. There have been rumors that there might be more pipe trains to this location but a washout of a culvert some months ago(and just recently fixed) probably put an end to anymore pipe trains. Now, between the pipe field and Adams, the CIND has started storing cars. You can see this in other message strings on this forum. It looks like once the washout is declared fixed they will shove these and about 5 more miles of cars all the way up the line to Shelbyville where the CIND property line is on the West end of the line.

When the brought all of the pipe up the line last year they used a mix of road engines like SD70s etc, all 6 wheel trucks, in multiple engine consists. That didn't seem to leave the line any less for wear during the half dozen or so pipe trains that made the trip to Adams. With the Honda plant being located in Greensburg the line from Valley Junction up to the Honda plant had quite a rebuild done while the plant was being constructed. The line was moved somewhat to the south around the plant location and that probably resulted in about a mile or so of new line with welded rail. All the rest of the ROW is made of section rail. I rode that line a few months ago on and excursion trip from Cincinnati to Greensburg and there is quite a difference in the ride between the section and welded rail portions.

I recently had a conversation with the farmer that owns the property where the pipe is being stored and he indicated that he is hearing that the pipeline company would like to bring more pipe into that field but couldn't because of the culvert washout. They now have the further obstacle of the stored hopper cars east of the pipefield that block access. As I indicated above those cars will probably be pushed west of the pipefield in the near future. So, you never know, there could possibly be another pipe train to that location. However, there are a few others on this forum who seem to have the inside track on that type of information and I'm sure they would have already posted such info.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

Cheviot_Hill

• Conductor
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2009, 06:48:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply. My question had to do with any pipe trains headed up the Brookville Branch line from Valley Junction to Brookville Indiana.

midland sub

• Conductor
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2009, 07:55:42 AM »
One of the I&O crews on the Deadland Sub spoke to the clean crew at the Midland City, Ohio unloading site last fall. According to the clean up crew more than enough pipe was unloaded on both the CIND and I&O to handle the project. Any extra pipe needed would be trucked from the excess at the CIND and Ohio sites. They were moving to eastern Ohio at Byesville for the eastern end of the project. As a contrast to the numerous trains both the I&O and CIND saw, the Ohio Central has only seen a couple so far.

Thanks for the reply. My question had to do with any pipe trains headed up the Brookville Branch line from Valley Junction to Brookville Indiana.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • K9SVL
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2009, 08:04:34 PM »
One of the I&O crews on the Deadland Sub spoke to the clean crew at the Midland City, Ohio unloading site last fall. According to the clean up crew more than enough pipe was unloaded on both the CIND and I&O to handle the project. Any extra pipe needed would be trucked from the excess at the CIND and Ohio sites. They were moving to eastern Ohio at Byesville for the eastern end of the project. As a contrast to the numerous trains both the I&O and CIND saw, the Ohio Central has only seen a couple so far.

Where exactly is that pipe storage field around Midland City, OH? I've been to that old B&O train station there in Midland City. My grandparents had a farm within a few miles of Midland City and I spent a lot of time there some fifty years ago. I haven't been over that way for a year or two.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

midland sub

• Conductor
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2009, 09:42:50 PM »
It's not stored at Midland City. It was unloaded and trucked 15 or so miles to a large field north of Wilmington at the US 68/I-71 interchange (behind the R&L Transfer terminal. The pipeline will cross underneath I-71 near this point.

They used the #2 main (former Ohio Div. main) at Midland just past the US 68 crossing to unload the pipe. There used to be some sort of track on the south side of the Ohio Div main that has was removed years ago that they cleared out to unload the pipe. Midland City was picked due to the double track and the Blanchester Job is based just down the tracks could switch them with ease. Here's the track hoe used to unload the pipe at Midland City.

Where exactly is that pipe storage field around Midland City, OH? I've been to that old B&O train station there in Midland City. My grandparents had a farm within a few miles of Midland City and I spent a lot of time there some fifty years ago. I haven't been over that way for a year or two.

Inprinter

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • K9SVL
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Just a few notes on this. The pipe yard to the West of Adams is nearly empty now. A lot of the pipe sections that are left there look like damaged pipe sections or odd lengths of leftover pipe. It also looks like they have the pipe in under the CIND ROW somewhat to the West of the pipefield as well. Shehan still has their plank road crossing the tracks since they are still working in the area backfilling and grading the installed pipe areas.

Inprinter

scraphauler

• Mogul
  • Making a living playing with trains since 1990
Re: Unit Pipe Trains on CIND, Part Duex
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »
Enterprise Products is constructing 369 miles of new 20 inch gas line from Washington County PA to Seymour IN, and reversing direction on another 861 miles of existing pipeline from Seymour to Beaumont TX for the purpose of transporting Ethane from the Utica Shale gas fields in PA to the Gulf Coast.  Project is know as ATEX Express.  Construction has already begun in eastern Ohio and ATEX is just wrapping up final easements through Franklin, Ripley, Jennings, and Jackson Countys.  Construction is expected to start in spring of 2013.  Early indications are that there is a good likelihood that a significant amount of the pipe for this project will arrive by rail and be staged at Texas Eastern in Batesville.  This new line basically follows the twin "Texas Eastern" lines already in place, and the regulator station at Batesville will likely be a contruction base/HQ for the project.   So stay tuned for the return of the pipe trains.

sunman-ite

• Brakeman
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2012, 04:46:01 PM »
There is a HUGE stock pile just north of St. Leon on Rt 1 of pipe, looks like 20" being trucked in from Cincinnati area. They are coming down from that way at least on 74.

DWX9929

• Engineer
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2012, 07:26:44 PM »
 Saw several trucks of pipe south towards I-74 through Miamitown on SR 128 this afternoon.
"Governments first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."- Ronald Reagan

scraphauler

• Mogul
  • Making a living playing with trains since 1990
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2012, 07:56:48 PM »
Found out CIND did not get contract.  Pipe is being unload somewhere around Hamilton, believe on CSXT.  Guess CSX (or NS) found somewhere to do it on their line so they didnt have to share the revenue.

ghartman

• Brakeman
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »
saw around 10 loads of that same pipe going through new miami oh on csx friday

DWX9929

• Engineer
« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »
 Still hauling pipe thru Miamitown, saw a truck this evening around 5:00. Anybody find out where they are unloading in Hamilton?
"Governments first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."- Ronald Reagan

DWX9929

• Engineer
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »
 A little off topic but I thought some may be interested.  The contractor for the pipeline has built a huge staging area for employees and equipment on Kilby Road about a mile north of I-275. Haven't seen any pipe, but other activity goes on 24/7.
 Have been seeing pipe trucks eastbound on I-275 towards I-71. Seems odd they would haul from Hamilton to St. Leon, store, then haul back towards Warren County.