Author Topic: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?  (Read 33582 times)

marko

• Brakeman
Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?
« on: February 18, 2009, 04:17:51 PM »
Just wondering if there was any more news on Indiana Southern extending the line from Sandborn to Edwardsport for the new clean coal plant. It seems fairly easy to do that following the old abandoned Pennsy Indy-Vincennes line. Considering how much that plant is costing the rail extension would be relatively cheap.
 I can't imagine that they would want to use trucks to haul all of that.

speedyd

• Dispatcher
Re: Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:11:34 PM »
There where rumors of them put rail back on the old IV line. I have some sources checking on this. Their are two pieces of equipment being built in France for the new power plant. I was told that they are to heavy to be moved by highway. IS does also have a track to the East of Edwardsport. It may be possible to move the equipment by rail to Plainville and then move the equipment 6 miles west to Edwardsport by highway.
High & Dry Line

Union Depot

• Dispatcher
  • Vincennes Union Depot
Indiana Southern extension to Edwardsport?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:22:02 AM »
I passed the power plant over the weekend and noticed considerable preparation work being done at the site.  Construction is progressing rapidly.  I have heard rumors that Duke Energy approached CSX about connecting to the new plant either by way of an extension from the old B&O between Wheatland and Fritchton, Indiana, and also of rebuilding of the old I&V North of Vincennes (where is used to diverage from the C&EI at Niblack Blvd.).  However from what I was told, CSX wanted nothing to do with it.  There was also a community meeting sponsored by Duke about 2 years ago in Edwardsport regarding the possible rebuilding of the line, but I'm not sure if anything came about it nor do I believe there was another one after that.

Most of the original I&V/PRR roadbed is still in place with only a few landowners building structures on it.  Some of the grade has been removed in spots and some of the bridges have been removed.  The distance from Edwardsport to where the Hawthorne Mine Stub diverts from State Road 67 just South of Sandborn is probably something like 7-10 miles (possibly shorter).  However, this only makes sense to rebuild this line South.

It also appears that Indiana Southern has done some upgrading and maintenance of the Hawthorne Mine Stub South of Beehunter into Sandborn.  I'm not sure why ISRR would conduct maintenance on the Hawthorne Mine at this point, since Hawthorne is not in operation (I believe it closed in 1999)? 

Now what I can't imagine is building a multi-billion dollar "coal gasification" plant somewhere and not having the foresight to include a rail line into it, when a connection is only just a few miles away? 

I'm also curious to see what others have heard?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 12:08:39 PM by Union Depot »

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »
It seems fairly easy to do that following the old abandoned Pennsy Indy-Vincennes line. Considering how much that plant is costing the rail extension would be relatively cheap.

That may be why you haven't heard much about it.  Rail service is just an afterthought.  "Oh, yah, I guess we need that, too."
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 02:51:13 PM »
That may be why you haven't heard much about it.  Rail service is just an afterthought.  "Oh, yah, I guess we need that, too."

and generally a cheap item in the big picture. To them anyway.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »
I know that discussions have taken place with landowners but not sure how far the RR is in aquiring the land back. I am talking to people and when I find out I will post it here. I thought of starting a thread on this so thanks for initiating the subject. I heard there were 65 bridges involved in transporting the equipment from Evansville off a barge. Rail is the answer.

marko

• Brakeman
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 04:39:12 PM »
I know a few years ago they put in some new ties on the section south of Beehunter, even some as far south as Sandborn. I wasn't aware that the mine had been closed that long. That line just seems like the logical choice, but who knows?

Union Depot

• Dispatcher
  • Vincennes Union Depot
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 06:00:09 PM »
Anyone have any updates on the line South to the Duke power plant at Edwardsport?

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 07:23:57 PM »
Any chance of some before and after pics if the line is restored?
No train expert here fellas, just your average history buff...

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 10:44:56 PM »
I hope to get some. I still am trying to talk to someone to find out whats going on. Let you know when I find anything out.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 08:39:05 PM »
.....Let you know when I find anything out.

Thank you.  There's just something about seeing a dead route come back to thundering life. 

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 06:31:23 PM »
I heard today there are 7 or 8 tracks to be built in the plant property. I would have to assume this line will come back to life! Blu, I am trying to get up there and get some before pics. Some of the bridges are falling into the ditches. Keep ya posted if I know anything more.

CSX2605

• Mogul

Union Depot

• Dispatcher
  • Vincennes Union Depot
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
This is some of the best railroad news Knox County has heard in many many years!  Most Excellent!!!

marko

• Brakeman
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 10:19:16 PM »
 It's definitely exciting. I used to work down in that area and can remember when they pulled those tracks up.

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 09:50:09 PM »
  I attended Duke's "thank you" picnic for the community on 5/9. Here are some things I found out. They need to purchase additional land rights along the route. The R of W will be about 100' wide but as grade and terrain vary, so will the width of R of W.

The rail spur will be used to transport coal and a sulphur byproduct. This sulphur will need to be maintained at a hot temperature to keep it fluid and not solidify. This will require a specail tanker. About 3-4 tankers daily will be shipped out. If they get coal in by rail they will need about 3 or 4 trains a week of 75-100 cars. If trucks bring in the coal, they will need about 240 trucks per day. Thats 10 trucks per hour. Heavens sake I hope they use rail or I will never travel that way again!  :o

I don't know how much of the plant equipment will come in by rail so stay tuned to the Bull Session and see what happens next! Should be some interesting traffic  on the INRD & ISRR over the next few years. Duke is planning on a 2012 start up.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 09:31:52 PM »
Yep, good news indeed.  (Don't forget those before and after pics  ;D )

sataraid1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 12:03:30 PM »
Now if we could just get Hawthorne reopened. That'd make for an easy short haul.

buckeyehoosier

• Brakeman
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »
I'm planning a trip from Kentucky next month to photograph whatever I can see from Beehunter to Edwardsport and am excited about what I'll find as I've never been to this area before.  8) When was this line removed?

Dave
Continuing my never ending quest for the dormant, the derelict and the decaying.

speedyd

• Dispatcher
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »
The Big Bear mine that will open near south side of Dugger is part of the adjoining property of Hawthorne
High & Dry Line