Author Topic: City to buy old Amtrak Station  (Read 1146 times)

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
City to buy old Amtrak Station
« on: September 14, 2005, 08:02:05 AM »
In the paper today, the city of Elkhart has plans to purchase the old Amtrak depot across from the RR museum and use it for office space.  I know J-train works (volunteers) there and was wondering what inside news he may have since the museum runs the depot now.  I sure hope the city doesn't get it's hands on that depot.  There is a ton of history there.  If they do, then will all those passengers have to board in South Bend?  Many unanswered questions?  Thanks for any input.

j-train

• Brakeman
Re: City to buy old Amtrak Station
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 06:01:16 PM »
Huh....news to me.  As far as I know, right now the depot is deeded to the museum and for all intents and purposes is a part of the museum.

The city right now has its offices for the Parks Dept. and Human Relations in the depot while the upstairs, for the most part, is home to the Youth Action Committee.

I myself will find out what for sure is happening from the museum and will let you all know what is going on by Sunday evening.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Re: City to buy old Amtrak Station
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 09:10:37 AM »
Thanks.  I hope this is just city BS talking.  It is one of the best places to catch train action and to my surprise quite a few people still catch the train there.  I have met  many nice people from everywhere who come to watch trains.  It would be a shame if the city destroyed that.