Author Topic: CCC&StL - Milroy  (Read 979 times)

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
CCC&StL - Milroy
« on: November 28, 2008, 07:28:59 PM »
Found this old ROW marker in downtown Milroy, IN along the old CCC&StL ROW by the grain elevator. There are several of them in the vicinity. I am assuming that they marked the extent of the ROW as it passed through town. I was intrigued by the "Land Line" on the one side of the concrete marker. I don't think there were too many phones, modern day landline, around when that marker went into the ground. I'm sure this type of marker is not uncommon but it is the first one I've seen like this. I've seen concrete mile markers and those that indicate when to blow the whistle etc.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

arobb00

• Superintendent
Re: CCC&StL - Milroy
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 08:12:03 PM »
I may have been one of last folks to travel over the old line near Milroy (except for the salvage crews). My late grandfather was a bridge and building inspector for NYC/PC/CR and was sent to inspect the bridges on the line to be sure they were safe for the salvage equipment.  I was maybe 14 (was in early 80's) or so and he asked if i wanted to ride along in the high-rail truck. Of course I did so we headed up SR-3. We lived in Greensburg.  Anyway, I remember we got on the track off a gravel road crossing north of Sandusky, got as far as the next county road and a farmer had strung a fence over the tracks!  He said a few choice words and backed up and we got back off the line and proceeded to the next crossing. Got back on the rails and he checked about 3 bridges, not letting me out of the truck for safety. Then  came up to another fence right by a road!  My grandfather got out, took out linesmans pliers and cut the fence!   I remember i thought it hilarious because there were cattle in there. Seeing that line mentioned brought back some memories. :)

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:51:45 PM »
I think the "Land Line" in question had nothing to do with communication.  Rather, I believe it is a survey monument marking out literally a line on the land to which the edges of the railroad's property could be described.
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

edpeters222

• Brakeman
  • Elkhart Native
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 08:56:40 PM »
There are a few of these still left from Elkhart down through New Paris, IN along the Big 4.  As a kid I really wanted to have one of these because I thought they were so cool.  But they looked like a lot of work to get it outta the ground, and then how do you get it home, and then explain it to your Mom that you just found it and that you need to set it up in her garden. 
Check on the east side of the NS tracks around Ox Bow Park around Dunlap, there was at least one there a couple of years ago. 

Ed Peters
Ex-Ekhartian Freezing in Minnesota