Author Topic: Honda Plant/CIND Ops continued  (Read 51853 times)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
Re: Honda Plant/CIND Ops continued
« Reply #400 on: December 20, 2009, 11:06:13 AM »
Confirmed - they where on duty at 1000.   Think they have Anchor Glass work on way west (not 100% sure) so they may be dragging those empties with them as well.  They have 10 to spot at Sunman, 5 to pull.  3 of the 10 spotting at Sunman are covered hoppers, so if you see 3 light gray covered hoppers toward west end of cut, they've already been there (but you should be able to tell by the snow anyway).   I have a cut of 76 cars parked on main at the Honda load out that they have to move before going to St Paul - they'll pull the cut up the main toward Vandalia Road, then run train through Honda yard to go to St Paul.  Having to move that cut means power will likely be CIND 5008 and IORY 4084.  6 loads to pickup at Kolkmeier.  Might have up to 13 more for storage plus will dig 8 out of storage (5 of which will spot at Sunman on way east).  Probably has empty tankers to pull at Next Gen.  Would not be surprised to see more loads for Next Gen or empties for Kolkmeier or Lowes.

EDIT - Through Batesville at 330 PM - had two of the Sunman outbounds (will pick balance up from east on on way east) and a slug of tankers for Next Generation.  IORY 4084/CIND 5008 as power.

Christian - assume that was you in the green Chevy pickup with the GP 15-1 sticker on the door between Sunman and Spades.  I would have stopped and said hi, but my 3 year old in the back seat was urging me to get him home so he could pee!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 07:14:14 PM by scraphauler »
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #401 on: December 20, 2009, 06:19:36 PM »
Christian - assume that was you in the green Chevy pickup with the GP 15-1 sticker on the door between Sunman and Spades.  I would have stopped and said hi, but my 3 year old in the back seat was urging me to get him so he could pee!
Sure was!! One of these days I'm sure will run into each other again. I might try next week to hit Weisburg, hopefully have some more snow! I got a few decent shots, clouds werent so great, but oh well. I missed the photo op at Weisburg, the one i really wanted, but oh well. Will post shots shortly. Lots of fun, but sure tired!
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #402 on: December 20, 2009, 06:46:09 PM »
Photos:

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #403 on: December 20, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »
Christian,

Nice shots. Getting all of those other shots and Weisburg would be tough to do all in one run.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #404 on: December 21, 2009, 12:23:04 AM »
Christian,

Nice shots. Getting all of those other shots and Weisburg would be tough to do all in one run.

Inprinter
Yeah, missing Weisburg was all my goof. When i rolled through town, i noticed that there was no snow on the rails, so i assumed that they had gone through, that was not the case. When I got west of Sunman i moticed that it was just the fact that the rails heated quicker which gave that effect. I'll get it next time. Its a little tougher now that speeds are up.

Christian

gpd240

« Reply #405 on: December 21, 2009, 01:00:58 AM »
    Well you guys beat me. I spoke to my FIL who owns some of the property south of the Airport in Greensburg. The "switch" as his father called it ran to the Stone Quarry in Harris City. The grade is not as visible in his fields due to being bulldozed a couple of times. He did say that the tree line is still affected though. He is around 60 and does not know when the tacks were ripped out, but it was before his memory. He did say as a boy there were large pieces of cut stone from the quarry on the old "Porter Farm" now owned by the Hasting family. He believes that they are still there.

He stated that the track ran just about straight through the intersection of SR3 and 46 by Lowes. He stated that it went straight north to Vandalia Rd. then merged into the line running to Shelbyville. The track bed sat underneath CR 250 W (which is now been turned into a brand new road) The track running south ran pretty much the on the west edge of the current airport runway. There are still some trees on the corner of the Goddard farm which were next to the old line. The tracks then ran pretty much straight south till it ran into the creek. He says it followed the creek line until it came to the Quarry. He says he has some paperwork showing the route. If I can get a hold of it I'll get with KM9X to get it posted on here.

Sorry Dan I was gonna share this info with ya first, but Our schedules don't seem to be crossing paths right now.

Lt._Dave

• Dispatcher
« Reply #406 on: December 21, 2009, 08:24:53 AM »
Scraphauler,

When they switch cars out of the storage, how long does it sometimes take?  Do they ever hit their hours and have to have a new crew finish the job, or are the cars squared away enough in storage that they can get it done pretty quick if need be?

Dave

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #407 on: December 21, 2009, 11:19:55 AM »
It can take forever, especially if it's cold and it takes a while for the air to pump up.   The set behind Honda load out it not as bad as some of the stuff parked out in the country.  At Honda, they just grab cut, pull up into yard, do switching as needed, and shove cut back out of way - only real time killer is conductor walking back up to front after protecting shove.  Anytime they need to make moves on the cut at St Paul or Prescott, they'll generally make arrangements for someone (the trainmast, myself, etc.) to be on hand to haul conductor around, help protect shove move, etc. - that saves a ton of time.

Since the CIND and IORY Brookville line share the same 3 locomotives (well, the IORY 4084 can't go to Brookville), unless they already have a relief crew called and headed to them, they'll try as hard as possible to NOT die on the road - usually they keep a good watch on time and will cut and run at a certain time in order to ensure making it back to Valley.  Crew Sunday however did NOT make it back -  dogged at New Point and a relief crew went and got train this moring ( I had originaly though they made it back to Valley)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:06:20 PM by scraphauler »
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #408 on: December 21, 2009, 12:34:06 PM »
Scrap, do you have any more info on the possible local tomorrow? I assume that they will probably work the rest of your cars?

Christian

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #409 on: December 21, 2009, 05:11:44 PM »
Scrap, do you have any more info on the possible local tomorrow? I assume that they will probably work the rest of your cars?

Christian

Normal 1PM crew working Tuesday and Wednesday as scheduled - Tuesday WILL be local - Anchor Glass, Sunman, Greensburg, and possible a move on the stored cut behind Honda.  Wednesday will be light to Honda and pull loaded train.  Next week will be same Tuesday and Wednesday service - lite to Honda one day to pickup misc. loads Road and Rail Generates after Christmas,  local work the other day (not sure which they'll do on which day).

Also as info, there will be an empty rack train sometime this evening or overnight.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #410 on: December 22, 2009, 01:23:12 AM »
Hmmmm, might have to try and hit weisburg again. Im assuming thats their call time?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #411 on: December 22, 2009, 08:25:32 AM »
Yes, 1PM call time.  Remember - they have to gather train AND work Anchor Glass on way west, so I would suspect it will be 3:30-4PM at the EARLIEST they would be westbound through Weisburg - around 5 or later is probably more likely.  If you don't mind just a set of lite power for your shot, best bet may be to try and snag tomorrow's westbound Honda job.  It's called at 1PM - all they have to do is get paper work together, get on power, and head west - they are usually out of Valley by 1:30 PM or so.  Tomorrow's loaded Honda train should be 50+ cars, so they should have the SD40-2/GP 50 combo again.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #412 on: December 22, 2009, 07:54:39 PM »
Here are a few from Valley. The IORY SD40-2 had an interesting herald added:

Here are some from Lawrenceburg:

And finally, I got the shots I was looking for at Weisburg:

And an interesting marker on a telephone pole in Weisburg:

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #413 on: December 22, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »
Nice!

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #414 on: December 22, 2009, 08:18:45 PM »
Great shots!  So...this line was double track in its hey day? 

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #415 on: December 22, 2009, 08:29:57 PM »
Almost all of it, from Greensburg east was all double track. I think half of the shelbyville-Greensburg segment was double track, west of there, I'm not totally sure.

Christian