Author Topic: Honda Plant/CIND Ops continued  (Read 51843 times)

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
Re: Honda Plant/CIND Ops continued
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 10:03:40 PM »
I went back and read through Scraphauler's recent posts and it looks like Tuesday is the day for that first load. I can't seem to determine what time of day on Tuesday that first load will be pulled out of Honda. He indicates that the normal time for the load to leave honda is around 4:00PM. I would like to get down there on Tuesday and get some pictures if someone could confirm the time of day for that event.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 09:12:41 AM »
4PM will be regular call time for Honda train - they will report directly at the "Rail Support Building" there at east end of yard.  Power will be a matching set of Red White and Blue GP 50's , most likely 5000 and 5008.  Power will be kept on engine track with the Green and Yellow Road and Rail unit when not in use.   First train will consist of Monday and Tuesday's loading, so it MIGHT be up to 20-30 cars long, and those initial racks will likely be the "cleanest" of the cars - i.e., the ones with the least amount of graffiti.  There are supposed to be publicity photos of first train taken, and I hear train will break through a ceremonial banner.   However, my guess is this will all take place back behind the "Great Wall of Honda" and not to very visible to public.  Also, not sure if regular 4PM crew will do this right at 4, or if they'll be on duty early, or if possibly a CIND management crew will do the ceremonial honors.  If I hear more details, I'll post.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 12:35:43 PM »
Thanks,

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 04:30:18 PM »
Today's Valley Jct/Greensburg turn dropped off CIND 5000 and CIND 5008 - the power for the Honda turn.  Attached pic this afternoon in the rain/sleet/snow shows the units parked at the switch to the engine track at the east end of Honda.  Notice that the paint job on these 2 units is slightly different than the CIND 5003 - biggest difference is pin stripes between the red and white and white and blue.  No additional racks have shown up yet - should be another block of 60 or so soon - maybe on Tuesday's return trip?
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 05:40:18 PM »
I really like your slogan and herald.

Inprinter

Thanks....

That's the way I feel at work. As far as I'm concerned, airline pilots have to rank up there with politicians. Especially when the weather gets bad.

{Stepping down off my soapbox}

IU
Former resident of Indiana, now living at the beach in NC

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 12:29:36 PM »
If you've ever had to deal with pilots of a certain red-tail variety, you have my sympathy
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 08:41:36 AM »
Article in Cincinnati Enquire about today's "First Train"

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081201/BIZ/812020313

Call time for today's train (and from here on out) is 1600.  Pictures and misc. festivities likely taking place this afternoon probably with management crew moving train as needed.  Sounds like local will NOT run today - just the rack train. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 09:09:20 AM by scraphauler »

Christian Hostetler

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 09:25:59 AM »
I think I will have to go and chase the first train toward Cincy. I wonder how long it will take them to get the train ready to leave. It gets dark so early, I don't want to go out there and have it be dark by the time they leave.
             Christian

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 10:26:16 AM »
Be sure to take your largest flash attachment.

Inprinter

Sunman_ite

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 12:56:43 PM »
I wonder if the crew will have to move around the auto-racks or just get there get in and pull the train? I'm just trying to figure about what time I should be uptown sunman to see this thing roll through.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 01:05:30 PM »
I wonder if the crew will have to move around the auto-racks or just get there get in and pull the train? I'm just trying to figure about what time I should be uptown sunman to see this thing roll through.
I would imagine the in plant job will have things ready.  Depending on the agreement, they may even put the power on the train and have the air test done.  In that case, the outbound CIND crew could just get on and in about 30 minutes be ready to go.
I'm not sure what all the agreements are in this, but I'm willing to bet the R&R crew will have it ready, atleast for the airtest, then CIND crew would just take the power on.

Hey Scrap, you know if Honda put in air lines to charge and test the cuts?
I haven't seen what the exact layout is in the plant rail wise, so I can't say if they will have doubles to make when trains get longer or not.

Sunman_ite

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 02:29:15 PM »
Cool,
that means, if I get out of work a little later than 4, and still see it go through town. I will take some pictures if I get to. I'm thinking about 35-40 minutes from Greensburg to Sunman by rail at there current speeds?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 02:43:03 PM »
I don't think there is an airplant/yard air up there - could be wrong though.  attached is a photo I borrowed from Inprinter that I labeled so you get an idea of the layout.  My understanding is train will be built on lead west of engine track switch.  I got the impression that R&R will have the train completely built with CIND power on it, so I would assume that would include an air test.  If this is the case, being on duty at 4, would think they would be on train and rolling by 430-445 (especially today). 

Edit - well I see my system smudged my notes on the picture - load out area near top of picture is 6 tracks wide with a total of 72 railcar spots.  Storage yard is 4 tracks, each holding 50-60 or so cars (89 footers).  Lead from east ladder of storage yard to engine house track is about 40 cars.  There is a crossover from main to lead at engine house switch,

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 03:56:24 PM »
They are erecting the banner across the mainline now(3:51PM) on the east end of the yard near Vandalia Road crossing. Definitely, they are wanting this to be a public event. It will be easy to get pictures without crossing onto Honda property. The banner is up. It only took a dozen workers and 14 supervisors.

Inprinter

Coach

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 04:35:02 PM »
Looks like they are leaving Honda property coming right at me!!

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »
She is on her way to Cincinnati.

Inprinter

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2008, 04:55:46 PM »
Anyone get pictures they can post?

Thanks for the info scrap!  I'm honestly shocked there isn't some form of yard air there to aid in getting trains out.  I guess when you only have one train they can do everything ahead of time with the CIND power that they need.

That will be a posh job to have, arrive Greensburg, get on it and go, get to Cincy and return. 

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2008, 05:37:37 PM »
Here are a couple low light shots past Liberty Park in Batesville - approx 5:15 PM.   For those in the Indianapolis TV market, WRTV Channel 6 had a crew out there today - probably will be some sort of blurb on news tonight.

Bob

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2008, 06:01:28 PM »
A few more pics, leaving Honda, just east of Greensburg and speeding through Morris (actually, getting too dark for the camera)

Bob

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »
The train had 7 cars, the first five were loads and the last two were empty (bilevels?).  Channel 6 news had a very short audio blurb on Honda at 6:06PM, but said there will be more at 7:00.  The banner/ceremony was at the south end of the property and in clear site for public viewing from Vandalia Road, although at a bit of a distance.  I believe Inprinter might have some shots of it which he will likely post later.