Author Topic: Honda Plant/CIND Ops continued  (Read 51845 times)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
Honda Plant/CIND Ops continued
« on: November 11, 2008, 04:01:58 PM »
For what it is worth, last I heard (last week), CIND still plans on establishing the daily (M-F) Honda train on Monday 12/1.  Train reportedly will operate everyday regardless of car count, unless it is zero each direction.  If that is the case, crew will likely do whatever local work that may be available, rather than being laid in.   If they are making 150 cars a day right now, 80% would be 120 to go via rail.  15 on a tri-level equates to 8 railcars per day.   It does NOT sound like CIND is expecting anything like 8 cars per day right now - maybe 8 on one day per week, with several 1,2,or 3 car days, and the occasional zero car day.

Wild card in this is what are they going to do with the dozen or so Bi-Levels currently on hand.  Doubt you would load only 10 Civics on a bi-level and ship it at same rate as a 15 car tri-level.  So, are some of the Greensburg based car carrier trucks going to backhaul SUV's into Greensburg (rather than returning empty), reload them on rail at Greensburg, and in essence, cut CSXT out of the loop on those vehicles?  IF something like that happens (as has been discussed), that could increase car count, but let's face it - the smoking crater that was SUV sales makes the anemic car sales look stellar.  So I wouldn't count on too much of that in the near future.

Here a quick shot in the rain of more progress on the line - CIND has joined the 21st century with the lines first ever AEI tag reader, installed last week at Greensburg.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:57:28 PM »
Another AEI reader (twin to the above one) has been installed at MP 5.5 in Cincinnati. As I understand it, CIND is obligated to Honda to average no more that 4 hours between the two AEI readers.  Honda will use the data from the AEI readers to evaluate CIND's service. 

First day of daily CIND Honda service will be Tuesday 12/2.  A number of dignitaries will be on hand for a ceremonial inauguration of the new service, however, most festivities will likely take place back in the "campus", thus not accessable/visible to the general public. 

Anticipated operating schedule for the line has a Greensburg based Honda turn called for 1600 Monday thru Friday.  This train will exclusively handle Honda traffic and run daily regardless of car count (unless it's zero each way).  A Valley Jct based local will operate (and currently is operating) on Saturday or Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.  This job works Anchor Glass in Greendale, repair track at Sunman, Kova, Next Generation, Decatur Soy, and Lowes Pellets, in Greensburg, and Kolkmeier in St Paul as needed.  Also, the weekend train may handle any Honda traffic that arrives Valley Jct Friday night or Saturday.  This will result in one train each way between Valley and Greensburg on the weekend, as well as Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with two each direction on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Right now, the weekend job seems likely to show up at anytime day or night, and the Tuesday and Thursday jobs are on duty at 1600, however, that will likely be adjusted 12/2.   Adjusting this trains call time requires coordination with Lustran Polymers, as this crew handles contact switching at that plant on M-W-F.  If call time is pushed up an hour or two, this should allow crew to get train together, and get into Anchor Glass or Sunman Siding to clear for the eastbound Honda train; push call back an hour or two should allow local to follow westbound Honda train up the hill.   Regradless, with the possible exception of the weekend local, operations are going to be pretty much nocturnal.

Expect to see a a number of tri-level autoracks showing up in prior to 12/2.  The bi-levels currently at plant are apparently up there for training purposes for the Road and Rail crew and should be departing property soon.  However, with no real demand for these cars they may end up becoming the first cars stored on west end.

The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

KM9X

• Conductor
  • I am near High Bridge MP 048 IN SUB
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:21:29 PM »
Grand Opening today. Governor Speaks!
Honda production under way- New natural gas car announced!!!

Greensburg plant is going ahead with original hiring plans

Hundreds of Honda workers joined executives of the Japanese automaker, Gov. Mitch Daniels and other dignitaries for a celebratory plant dedication ceremony.

The production lines turned silent for nearly an hour as workers gathered a makeshift stage with nightclub-like lights and music.

"On behalf of Honda associates around the world, I want to welcome you to the Honda family," said Takeo Fukui, president and CEO of Honda motor Co. Ltd.

Honda employees drove an Indiana-produced Civic off the production line to applause.

Receiving nearly as many cheers, Honda also announced that a portion of the Civics built in Greensburg will be Civic GXs. This environmentally friendly version of Honda's top selling car runs on natural gas.

Daniels said the plant's existence proves that Indiana can compete in a tough, global economy.

"We all know that these are not the best of times," he told the gathering on plant floor. But, he added, "a great product like the Civic will always find a customer

MORE:
http://www.indystar.com/article/20081117/BUSINESS/811170361/1003

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 11:38:13 AM »
CIND 5000 and CIND 5008 arrived Cincinnati on CSXT Q54219 around 0530 today.  Would expect both units will get to McCullough this weekend to be prepped for service and will likely be on CIND later next week after Thanksgiving to head to Greensburg to be on hand for Tuesday the 2nd.  Sounding now like Honda's initial rail volume will be a little heavier that they originally predicted - maybe avg. 10-12 loads per day vs. the 6-8 they predicted a couple weeks ago.  (Keep in mind, plant is still only running at less than 25% capacity).

Looking like there's going to be 3 or 4 trains running on the CIND this weekend.  A 60+ car empty Tri-Level rack train is expected to arrive Cincinnati from the south sometime tomorrow.  CIND will run it up and spot it at the yard for Road and Rail, gather up the unneeded Bi-Levels, and (time permitting), return east.  Local is scheduled to run Sunday - has a good volume of work at Sunman and Greensburg work, plus will have to fetch the bi-level train if it runs out of time.  Should be another Tri-Level train sometime later next week - best guess is after shortly after Thanksgiving. 

Sunman-Ite

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 11:44:49 AM »
I was sitting downtown Sunman the other nite in Louies, the jukebox was cranking, and everyone was having a good time, then things started shaking, I ran over and looked out the window to see the train buzzin by pretty quick through town.  Louies sits about 10 yards from the line at one corner. It's really wierd to have trains going through town that fast again, seem like since I was around they always went very slow back in the 80s and the conrail days!
I used to live right next to where the line went to double heading east down the hill, there was an old signal tower, that went acrossed the lines, but they tour it down soon after I moved here.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »
CIND 5003 and CEFX 9400 took 66 tri level autoracks to Honda yesterday (Saturday 11/22), picked up 20 or so bi level racks and returned to Cincinnati.  CFE 3889 has had line between Valley and Greensburg all afternoon today - they worked Anchor, switched  a bunch of stuff at Sunman, worked Next Generation, and switched Sunman again eastbound.  Should back in Valley by now. 

Now hearing reports that the second tri level train has shown up and is on CIND at or EAST of Valley.  Not sure if they have a crew to bring it up tonight or if it will wait until tomorrow. 

Coach

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »
It was quite a sight last night (in the dark) to see the lengthy train heading into Honda! 

Sunman-Ite

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 02:02:51 PM »
I only caught the train returning around 630pm? (GUESSING) heading back East to Valley. It didn't have Autoracks, only hoppers, and some gondolas, what time did the autoracks go back to Cincy?

KM9X

• Conductor
  • I am near High Bridge MP 048 IN SUB
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
Info I got from the PD was one patrolman observed the train Sat night with 66 empties go west, took 1 minute to clear the crossings  in town. We went to Vandalia Rd and it was 4 min to clear that one at the rail yard building.
I got a further report from a dispatcher that lives around New Point that the train of full autoracks went back east sometime in the middle of the night, and although he couldnt see it, it took about 4 minutes to get by him so he assumed it was taking the full racks from Honda east..
I observed two locals running empties back to Lowe's grain and full tankers for Kova last week, midnight or so. I think it was Tue and Thurs. Tue was a load of full grain cars going back east a flying! Thurs was one empty taker going back east behin the one CF and E engine.
All from the PD radio room window..
We are back in the train business in Greensburg!!

WO HOO

Sunman_ite

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »
So has there been cars shipped from Honda by train already?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 02:50:52 PM »
So has there been cars shipped from Honda by train already?

No - the racks that the Saturday night crew pulled where EMPTY.  Those where excess TTX pool cars that TTX allowed Road and Rail to use at Greensburg for training purposes.  Road and Rail's crews had to get up to speed with how to pre-trip the autorack, load autoracks, unload autoracks, set up and adjust ramps, etc., plus they needed to practice the the basic skills of spotting and pulling the cars, switching them in yard, etc. 

The 66 that came up Saturday night are the first of many specifically for loading at Honda.  Road and Rail crews are doing their pre-trip work this week, and should start loading cars on Monday 12/1.  The first train will run Tuesday 12/2, with Monday and Tuesday's loading.  Honda and RailAmerica will hold some inauguration ceremonies Tuesday to celebrate the beginning of daily service.  Understand there will be several publicity type photos taken, train will break through a "first train" banner, etc.  HOWEVER, this will likely be happening back in the complex and not open to public as far as I know.   Prior to next Tuesday, CIND 5000 and CIND 5008 will be headed to Greensburg, along with at least another 60 or so autoracks.

Recap of operating plans going forward.

Monday though Friday - 4 PM on duty time at Greensburg - Honda train.  Operates Greensburg to Valley Jct and return, handling nothing but Honda Traffic.  Cars brought down to Valley on this train will be forwarded by a second Valley based crew to CSXT Queensgate and NS Gest Street, where they will also pickup empty racks.

Sunday, Tuesday,and Thursday - On duty at Valley Jct - Local Valley to Greensburg.  Switches Anchor Glass, Sunman, and Greensburg customers (except Honda).  Sunday train may also handle any Honda traffic that arrives Valley Jcy after Friday evening.  Sunday train should primarily be a 9 AM Valley Jct start, making it a daylight run to Greensburg, HOWEVER, it can operate over night Saturday night or even daylight Saturday depending on crews, etc.   Tuesday and Thursday's jobs are on at 4PM right now, but may adjust next week, as this train will be operating same time as the Honda train.  Local and Honda train will either meet at Anchor Glass or Sunman (room permitting), or local will be on a little later and either start west while Honda crew is in Valley or follow Honda crew back up hill. 

glendale

• Brakeman
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 09:09:14 PM »
Did I read/hear somewhere that Honda wanted to use AutoMax's for the initial Honda production?? Was that canned due to clearance problems somewhere?

gpd240

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 08:36:37 AM »
Anybody have an idea what went through Greensburg at about 12:15 am on 11-26? I'm guessing there may have been some people crossing in front of the train, cause the engineer really laid on the horn on the east side of town!

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 12:19:53 PM »
Did I read/hear somewhere that Honda wanted to use AutoMax's for the initial Honda production?? Was that canned due to clearance problems somewhere?

I believe Automax's are still in the equation, none where on initial wad of empties however.  There are no clearance issues that would preclude their use that I know of - I know line will clear double stacks as this researched extensively back in early 90' when ATSF still running into Hoosier Lift at Remington and where considering extending service to Cincinnati via TPW/WSRY/CERA/CIND.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 12:22:44 PM »
Anybody have an idea what went through Greensburg at about 12:15 am on 11-26? I'm guessing there may have been some people crossing in front of the train, cause the engineer really laid on the horn on the east side of town!

That would have been the Valley Jct/Greensburg local heading back to Valley Jct.  Has CIND 5003 for power - took more tankers to Next Generation, should have empty tankers out of Next Gen and grain out of Lowes coming back. 

gpd240

Re: Honda Plant/CIND Ops continued
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 08:36:43 PM »
Thanks scraphauler

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 06:39:08 PM »
Here are some pics of all those car racks lined up at the Honda Plant today.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 08:22:19 PM »
Wow....

What a pretty sight!! 8)
Former resident of Indiana, now living at the beach in NC

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 08:44:33 PM »
I really like your slogan and herald.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 09:50:12 PM »
Here are some pics of all those car racks lined up at the Honda Plant today.

Inprinter
Sweet, thanks.  Now we need some photos of all those cars loaded and on the move...

Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.