Author Topic: CIND: Greensburg to Shelbyville  (Read 46689 times)

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
Re: CIND: Greensburg to Shelbyville
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2009, 04:51:21 PM »
I noticed these concrete pieces laying along side the CIND track just on the west side of CR520. Anyone have any idea if they are "railroad" items of some sort. At first I thought they were probably just pieces of corner fence posts, but I'm not so sure after looking at them close up. Anyone have any ideas?

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »
Hard to see them really, but some of them look like boundry markers and the rounded head ones some roads used as location markers.

Bob

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »
I think they are the fence posts from the railroad's fence that used to parallel the line on each side of the tracks.  Many of them are still intact, supporting a fences.  Most of them were round, but some of the end (anchor?) posts were square.  The pile in you picture used to be sitting next to the MP69 sign which is just north of CR520.  The bridge crew must have moved them.  You can see them in the picture in Reply #197 of the Honda Archive thread.  I have more pictures of that pile, and it certainly appears they are the same posts.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
There are a few of the boundry markers northwest of Shelbyville that still mark the Interurban ROW that paralleled the NYC.  Pretty freaking cool if you ask me.

Practice Safe CSX

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 10:54:20 PM »
Can you give me a more specific location for those boundary markers? I would like to search them out and compare to the ones I saw down at CR520.

Thanks,

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2009, 02:22:55 PM »
Those are fence posts in your photos.

I don't know the name of the road off hand, but it was just outside Shelbyville.  They were on the north side of the tracks, on the west side of the road.  They made up part of a 'retaining' wall along the tracks.  Probably the 2nd crossing outside of Shelbyville west of the Block Station out there, which I can't remember the name of either.  Mack and.....I'm drawing a blank.

Sorry I can't do better.

Practice Safe CSX

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2009, 04:37:04 PM »
Those are fence posts in your photos.

I don't know the name of the road off hand, but it was just outside Shelbyville.  They were on the north side of the tracks, on the west side of the road.  They made up part of a 'retaining' wall along the tracks.  Probably the 2nd crossing outside of Shelbyville west of the Block Station out there, which I can't remember the name of either.  Mack and.....I'm drawing a blank.

Sorry I can't do better.

Practice Safe CSX

CSX)CO,

Thanks for the info. The more I looked at those things and then latter the photos I think you are absolutely right about them being fenceposts. Thanks for the other info as well. That will give me something to do some Saturday morning.

Inprinter

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2009, 07:54:57 PM »
Only reason I say that is because the 'land line' markers are completely square with an inset "CCC&StL" or something similar on them.  I can't remember the interurban initials off hand, but hopefully you can find the spot I'm talking about.

They are on the north side of the tracks, and would be visible from an engineer's perspective.

Practice Safe CSX

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2009, 04:46:30 PM »
There is now a large corrugated culvert pipe section sitting just off of CR520 near the washed out section. Looks like they brought it in by truck sometime late this week.

Inprinter

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2009, 04:55:34 PM »
There was a crew there this morning working on this pipe - looked to me like it came in in several pieces and was assembled there on site.   Should get it stuck in the hole this week - still saying line will be "open" by 3/1. 
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2009, 09:07:50 PM »
Looks like they drug the new culvert pipe down closer to the washout today.

Inprinter

Bob

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2009, 06:25:46 PM »
Yesterday they painted/treated the outside of the pipe with something black while the backhoes were preparing the ditch.   

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »
Yesterday they painted/treated the outside of the pipe with something black while the backhoes were preparing the ditch.   

Pretty much the same situation this afternoon. I came through there around 4:30PM and it looked like the crew was wrapping things up for the day.

Inprinter

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2009, 12:46:50 PM »
NS specifies Annular Riveted Fully Bitumious (liquid asphalt) Coated Steel Pipe for their culverts.  I'm sure CSX calls for something similar.  Usually it comes coated from the factory as it is a bear to apply and contain on-site.  I'd be curious how the contractor would react if I came up to them and said I was from IDEM and wanted to see their site remediation plan. :D  Fortunately, it's too far to drive for giggles.

Do you know if the waterway is a legal drain?  If it is, that could be another button to push and watch the contractor squirm.
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2009, 06:32:50 PM »
You can tell from my previous postings that the pipe was coated right there in the field. I am just guessing but that culvert has probably been there since the 1870's maybe? I know there was some upgrading along the right of way in 1906 or so, but its been there a long, long time, legally or illegally. I'm sure at least a dozen or so environmental studies should have been done prior to work commencing. I didn't see any protective measures taken to prevent soil erosion either. For shame, for shame.

Inprinter

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2009, 09:10:42 PM »
Not to mention getting the approval of the county drainage board and surveyor to have the appropriate size pipe approved.  Presumably, that one was done...the local guys are the ones who would be first to notice.

Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2009, 05:09:21 AM »
What would you guys rather see?  A long drawn out legal process while the Soil & Water Conservation people, the County Surveyors, the lawyers, etc... hash out the details of the size of the culvert required? Or a functional railroad again?

I'm sorry, but even if it is just used for storing cars, at least it's a seamless line again....

IU
-- Stepping off my soapbox now -- 8)
Former resident of Indiana, now living at the beach in NC

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2009, 08:00:21 AM »
Based on experience in dealing with RA Corporate, you can be assured that RailAmerica has all it's ducks in a row and covered their rear-end from every direction possible.  Their contractor also has to meet various safety standards, environmental standards,  insurance and bonding standards, etc., and believe me, all necessary engineering/surveying work was done.  Plus, this new bridge/culvert is reportedly being paid for with government disaster relief money (as washout occurred in the same weather event that got several counties declared disaster areas due to flooding), so you know there is a whole other layer of paper work and oversite. 

As soon as tracks reopen, looks like a game of musical coal trains will be played out there.  At least the line is still there and is under no threat of abandonment, even if it's only going to be used for storage/coal train rearrangement for the foreseeable suture. 

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 12:54:33 PM by scraphauler »
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »
What would you guys rather see?  A long drawn out legal process while the Soil & Water Conservation people, the County Surveyors, the lawyers, etc... hash out the details of the size of the culvert required? Or a functional railroad again?

I'm sorry, but even if it is just used for storing cars, at least it's a seamless line again....

IU
-- Stepping off my soapbox now -- 8)

Sound's like you're a fan of Ronald Reagan's, "More Government isn't the solution, Government is the problem" quotation.   ;)

BTW, I deal with county surveyors, drainage boards, state environmental bodies, and feds on a daily basis.  When I want to pull my hair out, it's because I had to deal with a railroad. :o
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2009, 07:56:39 PM »
I think my comments were mostly "tongue in cheek" regarding the excavation and culvert work being done. In fact, I sort of resent most of the intrusion of most of the so called governmental protection agencies out there just waiting to get their slice of the pie on a paltry project like this culvert replacement on the CIND. Most of these governmental agencies assume that we are all stupid out here and couldn't possibly round up enough private sector talent and do the job the right way. Then you got all of the consultants and/or lawyers you have to deal with because even the brightest of us in the private sector couldn't even begin to interpret the cryptic nature of most of the regulations we are to follow when doing these projects. All I have to say is that this great nation would still be saluting the Union Jack if these agencies had been around during the Revolutionary War. It is truly unfortunate that a great portion of the cost of the work to repair that washed out culvert has gone to lawyers, consultants, fees, permits, governmental protection agencies and all the other BS that gets in the way of doing business. This stretch of railroad would never have been built in the first place if they had to put up with what business has to tolerate these days.

Inprinter