Author Topic: Greetings from Washington Co  (Read 438 times)

mflaugher

• Brakeman
Greetings from Washington Co
« on: December 13, 2020, 12:19:24 PM »
First, of all, thanks to the Admin for the invite. I am Mike Flaugher (floor) in Pekin, Washington Co. along the old Monon Line. I'm not a current or former employee of any RR, although I did take my 10 training trips aboard Santa Fe in Texas in the 70's. My best friend's father was our engineer, and he hoped we'd get dirty and greasy and bored enough to go on to college. He succeeded!  ;D  I spent 10 years in the USAF then the last 28 in the Federal Aviationa Administration. Just retired this year.

I'm a railfan often along the NS through Georgetown toward Marengo, and also the LIRC (CSX) through Henryville, Seymour, etc.

I'll start with a question, if anyone knows what CSX is doing with the old B&O Black Line west from Seymour toward Medora? They're recently rebuilt the siding there, and crossing signals, and it LOOKS like there has been tamping work farther west toward the tunnel at Tunnelton. The rails DO look like they've been run, but not necessarilly recently except maybe by a hirail.

Anyone have any information?

trainmaster53

• Jay Gould
Re: Greetings from Washington Co
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »
My wife has Family from Pekin Indiana and the Georgetown Areas.. Do you know any of the the Floyds in that area.  Welcome to the Group.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 03:12:46 PM »
Hi Mike, welcome to the group, and thank you for your service.  In answer to your questions, I don't know what is going on in Medora specifically, but I believe there is a local that runs out to Mitchell once a week (maybe?) from North Vernon (I think).  There are others on here who are more knowledgeable about this than I, so hopefully they can provide a definitive answer.  There has also been talk of traffic from the cement plan on the LIRC at Speed to the plant in Mitchell, but I don't know if this has started yet.
Cheers, Al

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 07:05:03 AM »
Welcome!

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 10:23:39 AM »
Hello from the other side of the airport.   ;)
(in a former life, I worked at IND and FWA)
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

mflaugher

• Brakeman
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 07:56:58 PM »
Well, greetings all. I guess that answers the question of whether anyone posts much anymore. rrnut282, I was TechOps at SDF but got to the ZID Center a time or three. The former tower manager at SDF is also retired and a FB friend, and we both agree that the entire crop of new Air Traffic Controllers look more like high school students!  ;D  I'm going to find out what's up with the B&O here. There HAS been some tamping done fairly recently on the line back toward Mitchell, and yes I heard it comes out of North Vernon through the crossover in Seymour. You'd THINK they'd also be interested in the tracks from Mitchell to the limestone industry in Bedford, although that is not B&O but part of the old Monon, and I read on the state website that it has definitely been put in for abandonment. I was in Bedford recently and that segment certainly IS abandoned ... as in 4 in. trees between the rails, sorta like what we have here around Pekin.  ;D  And sorry, Trainmaster53, I don't know any of the Floyds. I'll ask the wife as she was born here. I'm an import from Texas.

ATAIndy

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 12:43:00 PM »
Welcome to the board. I work with TechOps guys around IND and northern Indiana from time to time.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 05:06:20 PM »
Well, greetings all. I guess that answers the question of whether anyone posts much anymore. rrnut282, I was TechOps at SDF but got to the ZID Center a time or three. The former tower manager at SDF is also retired and a FB friend, and we both agree that the entire crop of new Air Traffic Controllers look more like high school students!  ;D  I'm going to find out what's up with the B&O here. There HAS been some tamping done fairly recently on the line back toward Mitchell, and yes I heard it comes out of North Vernon through the crossover in Seymour. You'd THINK they'd also be interested in the tracks from Mitchell to the limestone industry in Bedford, although that is not B&O but part of the old Monon, and I read on the state website that it has definitely been put in for abandonment. I was in Bedford recently and that segment certainly IS abandoned ... as in 4 in. trees between the rails, sorta like what we have here around Pekin.  ;D  And sorry, Trainmaster53, I don't know any of the Floyds. I'll ask the wife as she was born here. I'm an import from Texas.

My Dad did 29 years at ZID, retiring as Manager of Airspace & Procedures in 2006. Both my parents are "river rats" having grown up in Clark County, my cousin is an SDF based pilot for Republic, and my uncle is a Crew Scheduler for UPS at Worldport.

Welcome to the Bull Session!
Former resident of Indiana, now living at the beach in NC