Author Topic: Joliet Arsenal  (Read 647 times)

Drovus

• Engineer
Joliet Arsenal
« on: July 24, 2020, 06:49:36 PM »
My family and I were traveling on IL Rt. # 53 south of Joliet recently.  We passed under a silver colored abandoned railroad bridge.  I was curious who's railroad this belonged to, so I checked GoogleEarth later.  I could not figure out much about the possible railroad.  Upon checking the mapping system, it appeared the bridge was part of the former Joliet Arsenal?  I was wondering if anyone was familiar with that area and could provide more information about the Arsenal: which railroad(s) served it, any photos, info, etc?

Thanks   

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Re: Joliet Arsenal
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 07:47:36 PM »
Probably soon those who know a lot about it will probably chime in but for now - my familiarity comes from driving past it on I55 or IL53 as I travel to my son's home in Bolingbrook. A couple of years ago he took me and my granddaughter in there to look around, to visit her great-grandparents graves at the Lincoln National Cemetery in there and to visit Midewin Tallgrass Prairie. The whole place is amazing and if you get a chance you really should go in. Just keep in mind that a giant intermodal center is in there and thousands of trucks go in, out and through. I55 has the most "semi centric" interchange I've ever seen with 1 mile long entrance and exit ramps.

Historically, using topo maps found at https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/viewer/#6/42.285/-90.363 from 1953 the ATSF and GM&O ran along the western edge and a GM&O line ran in the middle just west of IL53. The east and west GM&O lines were connected by U S Government railroad between them that also continued to the east extent of the base and a connection to the Wabash.

I'd suggest looking at these old USGS topo maps to see what WAS there and Google Maps to see how it looks now.

BourdonBoy

• President
  • Long live the B&O and C&O!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 11:58:54 AM »
My family and I were traveling on IL Rt. # 53 south of Joliet recently.  We passed under a silver colored abandoned railroad bridge.

Where exactly was this bridge?  I've looked on Google Earth and the only overpasses I find are both double-track and definitely still in use.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 12:37:38 PM »
Tom, did you see the Henslow Trail Bridge at 41.376243, -88.129304 ?

BourdonBoy

• President
  • Long live the B&O and C&O!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 12:43:39 PM »
Aha! I hadn't gone quite far enough south in my search. Thanks.
Looks like I need to bring my bike to Midewin sometime.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 01:03:14 PM »
Looks like I need to bring my bike to Midewin sometime.

All the distances look smaller (to me) on the maps than they actually seem when driving around the area. Looking for alternate routes to avoid construction zones (yes, Illinois has them as well) and badly laid out roads in Kankakee and Bourbonnais I've driven through a lot of the area. It is beautiful.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 10:39:50 PM »
this thread reminds me of the times id roll out to the centerpoint intermodal center (bnsf) running containers with my brother. its how i came up with my nickname.

i remember that bridge. i only seen it at night though.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.