Author Topic: Amtrak will officially begin testing its high-speed Acela train  (Read 607 times)

Gary

• Dispatcher
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
New state-of-the-art Acela train cars are one step closer to hitting the rails in 2021.
On Thursday, Feb. 13, Amtrak announced it would begin testing its high-speed Acela trains.
The trains left the Alstom manufacturing facility in Hornell, New York on Feb. 17 and are making their way to the Transportation Technology Center near Pueblo, Colorado, where they will undergo nine months of rigorous testing.
Amtrak released stunning photos of the trainset heading west on Twitter, including a map of the journey. Train enthusiasts can watch for the prototype as it travels along the route used by the Amtrak Lake Shore Limited and Southwest Chief trains. It will pass through Chicago, before ultimately arriving in Colorado on Wednesday, Feb. 19.

Amtrakís upgraded Acela Express will be able to reach speeds up to 160 miles per hour, or 10 miles per hour faster than current cars. They will also use 20% less energy. Engineers hope the cars will eventually reach up to 186 miles per hour, but that will require major infrastructure improvements.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Amtrak will officially begin testing its high-speed Acela train
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 04:56:02 PM »
Just went across northern Indiana yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Re: Amtrak will officially begin testing its high-speed Acela train
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 05:38:20 PM »
Are you sure? This photo was taken one week ago at "MH Tower" in Chicago. Posted by Mark Hinsdale on his Facebook page along with several more.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 09:23:07 PM »
Are you sure? This photo was taken one week ago at "MH Tower" in Chicago. Posted by Mark Hinsdale on his Facebook page along with several more.
I didnít see it.  Was told but apparently that info was wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High_Hood

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 07:27:19 PM »
It went to CO last week, passed a couple of webcams along the way