Author Topic: Lost son of Converse  (Read 3065 times)

Bobcat

• Brakeman
Lost son of Converse
« on: January 06, 2020, 06:01:54 PM »
Thanks for accepting my registration.

I'm here for a little info...

Having spent some time in Converse (Miami Co), I'm always interested in that history.  Converse's Historical Society has a nice location in town as well as a Facebook page with some vintage PRR images that I'm sure you would enjoy.  One such event was the derailment E of town back in 1925.
Do any of you have any images that you could share from that fateful day... or any other Converse RR related info/images?

Also, I purchased a cast iron Whistle Post recently, 8.5' long and complete, that I'd like to learn more about but am having difficulty.
How many foundries made these and who were they?  Which lines used them - all?  What was used first, cast iron or precast concrete?

I've always wanted a Whistle Post and figured I'd end up with a concrete version but I could not pass on this CI gem.

Grew up with a RR running through my back yard from 0 to 8 yo and have loved them ever since.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Re: Lost son of Converse
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 07:26:18 AM »
Sorry I canít help with either if your questions but welcome to the board.  Thereís a ton of knowledge here and Iím sure you will get some answers soon.  If not, repost your questions in one of the other threads. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobcat

• Brakeman
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 09:32:20 AM »
Thanks Rick.  Thought I'd start here.  I'll post the questions in a more appropriate section, in a bit.

InspectorDR

• Brakeman
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 09:22:53 AM »
Hi Bobcat
sorry I too can't help with your dilemma. Just wanted to say I belonged to the carving club in Converse years ago. Some really great Carvers you have and had in that club.  Tom Brown, his sons and many others were good friends.
Great looking whistle pole. Good luck

Gary

• Dispatcher
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 10:18:39 AM »
Hi Bobcat,

I believe that is a B&O whistle post.  They were made in at least 2 Cast Iron versions.  One, was a solid C/I post and the second used a steel post with a Cast W bolted onto the top.  That is the later version.  Good find and I will bet it was heavy!!

Gary

Bobcat

• Brakeman
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 06:18:59 PM »
Gary,
Yes, too heavy for the Mrs so I drug it out of the truck and pivoted it into the back yard.  Thanks for the info.

DougR,
Tom Brown was our Boy Scout troop leader.  Great guy and great memories.  Our troop was a handful but we ALL had a good time.  I think a lot of Tom.  Thanks for responding.

Bobcat

• Brakeman
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 10:16:01 AM »
Installed!
(oops, it's right side up in my folder but I can't get this one rotated)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:08:17 AM by Ralph »

Bassbone52

• Brakeman
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 08:07:06 AM »
Hello Bobcat,

Both sets of my grandparents lived in Converse. My brother and I spent time there back in the early/mid 60ís.  I have pictures of a C&O derailment just east of town that happened in the early 60ís. I also have a picture of a PRR 2-10-2 sitting by the grain elevator. Lots of great memories of Converse!

Bobcat

• Brakeman
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 09:24:50 AM »
Bassbone, I didn't move there until 79 and promise I didn't break anything after you left.  Still a great little town.

I have some of those 60's derailment pics.  Can you post the one of the grain elevator, please?  I believe it was just across the street from the depot.

Bassbone52

• Brakeman
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »
Here is that PRR  2-10-2.  Photo taken 11-1-1947

SemperVaporo

• Dispatcher
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 05:34:53 PM »
Installed!
(oops, it's right side up in my folder but I can't get this one rotated)
You need to load the photo into a photo editor, rotate it as you want it, then save it as a new file.  Somebody at Microsoft changed the chain of file name to actual file and if you rotate it using the Context menu in File Explorer it only changes the rotation in the file name meta-data, not in the file itself.  The original angle is kept in the file so when you move or copy it, you get the original angle not the one that File Explorer presents when you view the file.  Drives me up the wall having to do it this way, but it is the quickest way to do it that I have found... but you do lose the original dates of the image, which makes finding files by date difficult ("I know I took it in March, how come it sorts to being taken in April?")
Semper Vaporo
Charles T. McCullough
CMBY RY

pkgs.