Author Topic: BNSF train leaking fuel into Kootenai River  (Read 809 times)

hobodano

• Conductor
  • Retired Sou/NS
BNSF train leaking fuel into Kootenai River
« on: January 02, 2020, 06:47:55 PM »
https://fox28spokane.com/crews-working-to-remove-derailed-bnsf-train-leaking-fuel-into-kootenai-river/

BONNERS FERRY, Idaho – A BNSF freight train has partially derailed into the Kootenai River east of Bonners Ferry, Idaho, trapping the crew inside the locomotive engine.
According to Bonners Ferry Firefighters, the crew is alright and the train cars are upright in the water. No injuries have been reported.
The lead engine is currently leaking diesel fuel into the Kootenai River. Firefighters from around the county are working with BNSF responders to limit the spread of fuel with containment booms being placed in multiple spots across the river. Officials say it appears no other hazardous materials are leaking from train cars.
Fairly familiar with southern Indiana trackage

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Re: BNSF train leaking fuel into Kootenai River
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 02:20:21 PM »
That had to be a little scary for the crew. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 05:00:49 PM »
Bet they had to clean their Pants Out after that.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 08:54:02 PM »
Appears that a rock slide took out the engines, look at the strata up above the track... it slid towards the river.

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 01:22:33 AM »
Appears that a rock slide took out the engines, look at the strata up above the track... it slid towards the river.
That is a pretty rough area from Troy ,Montana ,to Bonners Ferry,Idaho ,both in the summer and in the winter. Rock slides are not uncommon thus slides fences and slide warning in the more prone areas.
Actually from the east side of Glacier National Park to Bonners Ferry it is all a rough area to railroad and actually live. Lived in Montana from 68 to 72 and visited the area of the derailment when we lived there and have visited a couple of times since then. There was a rope bridge across the river east of the derailment site and that was experience walking across it swinging back-and-forth and holding on. Summertime the bears become a problem because of the derailments and spilled grain ,couple times when I was up around Glacier track crews warn me of grizzlies along the track so I wouldn’t come up on them and surprise them and be their next meal LOL.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 06:15:39 AM »
couple times when I was up around Glacier track crews warn me of grizzlies along the track so I wouldn’t come up on them and surprise them and be their next meal LOL.
Train goes into emergency at 01:30 and air does not restore so you have to walk the train. Which is worse, train is in the hood on the south side of Chicago OR train is in grizzly bear country at Glacier?   Or call the trainmaster and tell him HIS train is emergency?   ;D

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 08:28:27 PM »
Train goes into emergency at 01:30 and air does not restore so you have to walk the train. Which is worse, train is in the hood on the south side of Chicago OR train is in grizzly bear country at Glacier?   Or call the trainmaster and tell him HIS train is emergency?   ;D
Grizzly territory by far.  You can always call dispatch and ask for police assistance.  There’s a stretch on the csx line through Gary that we won’t walk at night.  No police no walk, call Trainmaster and wait.  Of course some people do have ways of feeling more safe when they walk their train

Although I’d just be prepared to climb a ladder real quick.  We had a very large conductor one night climb up onto a tank car because of a police dog.  I’m pretty sure he has to change his shorts when he got back in the cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk