Author Topic: Derailment at Harper's Ferry  (Read 926 times)

Gary

• Dispatcher
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Derailment at Harper's Ferry
« on: December 21, 2019, 01:29:42 PM »
There is a news report out that there was a derailment at Harper's Ferry, WV. at approx. 2:45 am today and some amount of cars were down in the Potomac river.  What was interesting was the report stated that the only person on board was the Conductor.   No Engineer?  Do the laws involving crew consist and such vary from state to state?  I thought there must be an Engineer and Conductor, at least.

Can someone provide some info on this, what crew members are actually mandated on a train out on the main line?  Thanks!

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
Re: Derailment at Harper's Ferry
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 08:52:01 PM »
The news never gets the crews right. 
Engineer was running it, appears it stringlined.  Possible the conductor was in a crew van and riding to meet the engineer across the bridge after hanging the eot or releasing brakes. Never know

Gary

• Dispatcher
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 06:14:15 PM »
Thanks for that info CIOR.

indyspy

• Jay Gould
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 07:09:53 PM »

RARE Cranemasters call out.

As Scrap once told us. When you feck up, you call Corman or Hulchers. When you REALLY feck up, you call Cranemasters!
If in doubt, Notch it out!

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 07:25:29 PM »

RARE Cranemasters call out.

As Scrap once told us. When you feck up, you call Corman or Hulchers. When you REALLY feck up, you call Cranemasters!

Just depends who has local contract it seems.  Chicago is all Cranemasters. Based up there, it’s close.  Avon was Hulchers out of Columbus, IN. It seemed Hunter got tired of being second fiddle to that division. So, went to Crane masters for a bit out of Hammond. Longer response time, but cut Hulchers out.  That was during the whole Avon shuttering, Hawthorne, then State Street dark times.  Avon starts back up, and Hulchers then put a couple sidewinders and support trucks right in the yard at Avon.  Can see them from Dan Jones.  They’re now back on contract, and response time cut dramatically.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 08:24:23 PM »
Avon starts back up, and Hulchers then put a couple sidewinders and support trucks right in the yard at Avon.  Can see them from Dan Jones.  They’re now back on contract, and response time cut dramatically.

I think its more like Pizza Hut, get that card, after 10 derailments the 11th cleanup is free.  So relocate the buffet to the biggest customer.

When Avon had cranemasters the crews we got were a joke.  They took much longer than Hulcher to get the job done, and I don’t know if they weren’t bringing enough counter weight or what the deal was but their track cranes couldn’t lift near the weight the Hulcher sidewinders were capable of.  Those huge cranes they had made the sidewinders look small too. 
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 09:02:14 PM »
Radio audio:

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 02:24:51 AM »
I think its more like Pizza Hut, get that card, after 10 derailments the 11th cleanup is free.  So relocate the buffet to the biggest customer.

They still have their Columbus Division according to a google search though, so seems it was a new division.

Probably saved a fortune in permit and driving costs by locating at Avon, and saving the 50-60 mile drive each time.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »
I am glad no body was on the bridge at the time.  I have visited Harpers Ferry it is a very interesting place with a lot of industrial and Civil War history.  It is cool to walk across that bridge, hopefully they can get the walkway replaced.  Last time I visited in 2013 there was still a switch on the bridge that led to a work area probably for a local bridge gang.  They had some equipment on the track.  From the recent derailment pictures it looks like that switch is no longer there.  The bridge they derailed on is the second railroad bridge to cross the Patomac.  First two pictures are of the first bridge that was used before there was a tunnel bored.  It also served as a highway bridge until 1936.  Next picture shows all three bridges and the years they were used.  The last picture is the area in 2013.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 06:20:53 PM »
Crane masters is a stable in Elkhart.  Obviously they are much closer being out of Hammond.  I know the call isn’t cheap either.  Car department uses them all the time when loads get shifted on cars usually from being humped when they shouldn’t.  Apparently cheaper to hire them than maintain all that equipment and have guys trained on it.  I would like to know what NS spends on them a year just in Elkhart.  7 figures for sure.  Hulchers has made a few appearances too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyHog

• President
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 08:01:52 PM »
Does any railroad still have the big hook active?
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 02:06:40 PM »
Does any railroad still have the big hook active?

INRD used to have one in the Senate Ave yard....

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 02:18:05 PM »
The Two Big Hooks that the INRD had 1 at Senate Ave and 1 at Jasonville were Scrapped Many Years ago. They were used to lift the Locomotives to get the Trucks out from under them to Replace or Repair the Traction Motors as I recall.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 04:39:34 PM »
The Two Big Hooks that the INRD had 1 at Senate Ave and 1 at Jasonville were Scrapped Many Years ago. They were used to lift the Locomotives to get the Trucks out from under them to Replace or Repair the Traction Motors as I recall.

Thanks, that is interesting.  Were they scrapped before the purpose-built maintenance facility at Jasonville was constructed?  As I understand it, the new facility has heavy lifting capabilities.
Cheers, Al

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 06:24:13 PM »
The Hook at SAT was Scrapped on Site as was the Hook in Jasonville. Not only was the Hook at SAT Scrapped, So was the Old IC Steam Tender that was used as a Water Car. As Luck would have it I was able to get Photos of them before they were Scrapped.