Author Topic: Interurban & Street Cars In Connersville  (Read 706 times)

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
Interurban & Street Cars In Connersville
« on: November 05, 2019, 09:53:32 AM »
Hello,

I have been informed about a car barn in Connersville in the vicinity of Sixth and Eastern (Sixth & Water) which I was told was for the Interurban. I had thought the interurban line turned and went north at Western, paralleling the canal toward the industrial district.

Question: Did the interurban cross the canal and continue east to Eastern or was there a street car line in the town of which the 'car barn' near Sixth and Eastern is a remnant?

The building now houses Chomel & Sons Inc. It, reportedly still has the rails visible in the floors and I was told there was a turntable there once.

Does any of this make sense?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 10:24:27 AM by Sharky1 »
There a fine line between a 'hobby' and a 'mental illness'.

Bob Durnell

• Mogul
Re: Interurban & Street Cars In Connersville
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 08:47:30 PM »
It's not listed in any of my sources, but doesn't mean it isn't.  Looking at the building on Google Earth and Street View, it doesn't seem typical for the car barns I have seen, but that doesn't mean anything either.   Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to call the business and see what they can tell you.  If anybody lives nearby, perhaps they could stop in.   If it IS, it would be nice to know.  Maybe somebody at Whitewater Valley would know something.

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 08:59:47 PM »
  Maybe somebody at Whitewater Valley would know something.

That's where I heard it but I'm not sure I trust that person!

It"s just that I thought the line stopped at the canal and turned north along the canal. Maybe that was just a branch? Perhaps there was a bridge across the canal which took it into the center of town, or maybe there was a street car line once?

Bob Durnell

• Mogul
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 09:07:26 PM »
I just looked at the map in the Interurban e-book thread down the page from this thread, and IT shows the tracks going right into this building, so I guess it's true!

Howard Pletcher

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 09:11:44 PM »
My second-hand knowledge is that this was the location of the station and there was a loop track to turn the car to head back west.  Here is a post card view that shows the station on the east side of the lot and the loop.  I doubt that the buildings there now were the station. A turntable on an interurban line seems unlikely and I've not heard of a shop here nor does one seem likely at the end of the line.

The line came down the hill on the south side of 10th Street, made a 90 degree turn to the south on the west side of the canal, then crossed the canal at 6th Street.  One car ran away down the hill and didn't make the turn.  You can see in this picture, there were no tracks heading north at this point.

IndyHog

• President
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 09:43:20 PM »
The canal didn't look very deep at this time in history
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 01:11:43 AM »
Thank You all.

Howard- I've seen the picture of the poor car in the canal but it was from the canal bank looking north. I thought it was trying to turn north but I was wrong, which this card clearly shows.

IndyHog- The canal was likely lowered to aid getting the car out.

Steve

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 12:18:36 PM »
I think it is amazing that the car missed taking out any of the many poles shown in the photo when it missed the curve!