Author Topic: Vermillion Valley Leasing Part of CSX Olin Secodary Secondary  (Read 737 times)

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
I thought Vermillion Valley already owned or leased this line, but looks not to be the case.

https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7f93537688b8e5852573210004b318/9a12d1ffa27d176085258488007d80db/$FILE/248545.pdf

Gray1980

• Brakeman
Re: Vermillion Valley Leasing Part of CSX Olin Secodary Secondary
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 07:22:08 AM »
Not sure what business they intend to develop on that short stretch as I can only think of a few business even left on that portion of the former P&E where the intend to lease the line.  It is a shame that Vermilion Valley did not early on attempt to aquire or convice CSX to lease the former P&E along with portion of the former Big Four to Terre Haute from Danville as it would have been a better arrangement. 

Grayson

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 07:37:13 PM »
Not sure what business they intend to develop on that short stretch as I can only think of a few business even left on that portion of the former P&E where the intend to lease the line.  It is a shame that Vermilion Valley did not early on attempt to aquire or convice CSX to lease the former P&E along with portion of the former Big Four to Terre Haute from Danville as it would have been a better arrangement. 

Grayson

Seems CSX already kept in service the old NYC from Danville to Westville to serve the remaining industries.

The Decatur and Eastern IL Railroad operates what is left from the old mine south and has been making a pretty good go in 1 year they have been operating.

Gray1980

• Brakeman
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 06:04:29 AM »
Seems CSX already kept in service the old NYC from Danville to Westville to serve the remaining industries.

The Decatur and Eastern IL Railroad operates what is left from the old mine south and has been making a pretty good go in 1 year they have been operating.

That is correct, I was just wondering why Vermilion Valley never attempted to work with CSX to either lease or purchase that very route as what they are working to operate over there are not many if any industries to serve. 

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
I think when I was still working for the C.K.I.N. and the few time I had spent on the Vermillion Valley back in the day, it seemed like the Flex - n - Gate Corp. owned all of the former P. & E. in Indiana, but the Illinois portion was owned by the C S X. I think the V.V. Rail crews had to do their interchange with the C S X at the closest industry spur near the state line. I think there were only two industries being served by the C S X at that time. Which by leasing it makes more since, as there is a former coal loading / unloading company that is closed, which would make for a good car storage and interchange location.