Author Topic: Slow Day At Fostoria, OH Especially On NS  (Read 975 times)

ventrue

• Fireman
Slow Day At Fostoria, OH Especially On NS
« on: September 26, 2019, 05:47:47 PM »
We were at the Iron Triangle Rail-park for the first time on Tuesday, 9/24, for about 12 hours...mid morning to near dark and our own observations coupled with verifying traffic with several rather friendly and more Fostoria experienced railfans there left us with two NS trains and maybe about a dozen CSX.  They had been there a few dozen times before and reported it was the slowest day they've ever had.  There was a period of the day for a few hours with no movements.  I've read up to 100 trains a day there and perhaps a more realistic number of 70 would have left an awful lot of catching up that night!

Real nice place, tho.  Casual, interesting conversation with exceptionally friendly and cordial fellow visitors sure made the lull in activity pass more quickly.

Other than reading a little in TRAINS MAG and a little on the web and watching the live streaming cams a bit, I mostly do not know much about the details of the three lines in Fostoria and their traffic patterns and how they fit into each company's larger network.  Any speculation on the light traffic?  Maybe it was just one of those days or maybe we were just unlucky.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: Slow Day At Fostoria, OH Especially On NS
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 02:24:30 PM »
The 100 a day was probably early 2000ís number.  After the recessions in 02 and 08, traffic down from tgat count.  Toss in loss of coal traffic.  Garrett/Willard subs were one of the few places in the country where both loaded and empty coal trains passed each other going opposite directions.  Eastern coal going west, PRB coal going east, and empty return moves.

Throw in Willard not classifying anything and counts are down from what Iíve heard.

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 11:34:16 AM »
Gee, nothing about PSR running fewer, longer trains?  :(
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 12:05:10 PM »
Gee, nothing about PSR running fewer, longer trains?  :(

The coal traffic and oil traffic drying up, hurt counts more than just freight train consolidation under PSR.

When I first started my career nearly 20 years ago, it wasnít uncommon to have a train going thru Deshker every 15 minutes from 8 pm to 8 am.  Iím not exaggerating either.  50 moves over night.  Railroad died during the day for MOW to have work windows.

Railroad was so night concentrated that off days in Garrett went noon to noon instead of midnight to midnight.  That way if you came off your off day, you might have a couple hours to rest before your phone would ring.  If coming off at midnight, you would have been up all day for your off day, and subject to markup in the heart of the busiest time.  Tried to combat fatigue that way.

Then 9/11 happened and ensuing economic slow down following it.  Never fully recovered from that, then the recession of 2008 took hold.  Throw in shifting energy policies, and youíre where we are today.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 12:18:31 PM »
I havenít been to Fostoria in a few years, but when I was there last in 2012 I counted 68 trains in 12hrs.
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 11:14:01 PM »
Youll be hard pressed to find counts pre 2008 again.
Ns also has shifted away from Bellevue and toss is as CsxCo said Willard issue and the counts drop.  Ns also shifted traffic west onto other routes

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 09:08:23 AM »
Youll be hard pressed to find counts pre 2008 again.
Ns also has shifted away from Bellevue and toss is as CsxCo said Willard issue and the counts drop.  Ns also shifted traffic west onto other routes
Moving traffic away from Bellevue is one of the positives from the new plan that NS implemented. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dschro

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 12:23:35 PM »
I haven't been to Fostoria or Bellevue in a year or so, just where did they move the traffic from Bellevue and how does that impact the large yard?

Thanks!

Bob Durnell

• Mogul
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 12:33:13 PM »
Moving traffic away from Bellevue is one of the positives from the new plan that NS implemented. 

As long as you're not concerned about the amount they recently spent there to handle MORE traffic.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 08:57:34 PM »
As long as you're not concerned about the amount they recently spent there to handle MORE traffic.
That was a huge waste of money.  With todayís operations Bellevue was slowing things down which is why traffic is being diverted away from there currently and sent to Elkhart.  At least from Chicago.  I know ft Wayne has seen an uptick in traffic as well.   

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 11:14:16 PM »
Gee, how much money will it cost for the gurus in the ivory towers to re-learn the lessons of the 19th century, that you canít shove all your traffic through one hump yard?
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 03:38:39 PM »
Gee, how much money will it cost for the gurus in the ivory towers to re-learn the lessons of the 19th century, that you canít shove all your traffic through one hump yard?

Psst...thatís what NS was trying to do with Bellevue.  PSR spreads out the switching, so you arenít having to funnel everything to one terminal, and reduces car handlings by move cars between points, rather than bouncing terminal to terminal.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Slow Day At Fostoria, OH Especially On NS
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 05:36:47 PM »
Good question.  Common sense tells you that, especially when you have limited track space to get into Bellevue and most of the time trains from Elkhart had to go past the terminal and shove back into the yard.

Oh, and why have a so called double hump when only one can be used at a time?  Complete waste of money. Elkhart many times was out humping Bellevue with one hump and less trains coming in.  Elkhart now has more trains yarding from Chicago than they did before PSR took over. 

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:45:14 AM by Rick »