Author Topic: JM&I_PRR  (Read 912 times)

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
JM&I_PRR
« on: August 30, 2008, 08:51:17 AM »
Was on my way to Columbus, IN going through St. Louis Crossing on CR E800N which is just North of Columbus and spotted this remnant from the old JM&I/PRR that ran through there. St. Louis Crossing is between Columbus and Shelbyville in Bartholomew County. I tried getting a photo from the other side but the lighting was really bad(almost directly into the sun) for that time of the morning from that direction. I've been that way many times and never noticed the crossing marker until yesterday morning.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

JGN

• Superintendent
  • Interested in all Rail History!
Re: JM&I_PRR
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 01:41:40 PM »
What a great find! I sometimes wonder if there are many of these types of crossbucks sitting in basements around Indiana. One sign I particulary think of is all the PRR keystone shaped whistle post signs that used to dot our area, there has to be a few somewhere hidden. Treasures are to be found, if the condition is right. For instance, I know of a lady who has a scrapbook full of detailed info about the IMC from Indy to Peru from back in the 30's to around the 60's. There are reprimands, lock keys, and other memorabilia in this book that she found in the basement of a house she had bought. Despite a little moisture damage, and normal aging, it is a wonderfull testimony to a segment of history of this old Nickel Plate line. Thanks for sharing Inprinter, Jay

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
Here are some additional shots of remnants from the old JM&I between Shelbyville and Columbus.

The bridge is on 900N in Bartholomew County. The signal is at Lewis Creek in southern Shelby County.

Inprinter
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:24:58 PM by inprinter »
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:40:57 PM »
That is dam good find!!!! I still find alot of old treasures on alot of the old P.R.R. lines here in the state. Also have found stuff on the old N.Y.C. too. I remember about six years ago I was driving along some of the old N.Y.C. Kankakee Belt at San Pierre, IN. When I stumbled onto an old wooden N.Y.C. crossbuck. N.Y.C.S. was engraved into the post. It had protected a private crossing. I had told some of our guy's at H.V.R.M. about it and some of them went to see it. About two years ago I went back to look for it, but another souvenir hunter got their hands on it.                                                                                But there are other places that if you know where to look you can find stuff. I had always been told by Conrail m-o-w crews that worked in former P.R.R. territory, that they use to leave the old cast iron crossbucks near the crossings. They were usally to heavy to drag back to a scrap pile. And so they would leave them near their crossings. Some of the guy's had told me to travel the old Vandalia Railroad north of Logansport,IN. So I tried it out, you would be amased at all the stuff that still lays along this line. Sure enough I have found some of those crossbucks, they are buried in the ground under about three inches of dirt and other ruffage.                                                                                           It has always surprised me as to how much iron was left behind on the old Vandalia R.R. Up to about 2002, you could go up to Delong,IN. and find the northward position light home signal. Someone I know now owns that. And on the Tippecanoe River the old bridge and about three hundred feet of rail were still there. But some local ocal must have needed the money, it didn't take them long to make that dissapear. There are several other bridges that still have rail on them. And I know where another position light still stands near the Kewanna,IN. area. Grass Creek, IN. still has a few relay cabinets still in place for the northward approach to str.17.                                                                                                     Go up to Columbia City,IN. there still is a U.S.&S. relay cabinet that sits in town, I can't remember the hwy crossing where it is at in town, but it does sit on the old Butler Branch. I know that it is northeast of the Panhandle crossing. There are now buildings sitting on this r-o-w, so you really have to look in order to see it. I know also that L.B. Foster didn't take all of the old search light signals off of the ERIE r-o-w. Everyone thinks that the only signals still standing are the ones at Laketon,IN. but guess again. You just got to know where to look to find them. There still alot of stuff on the old ERIE between Rochester and Huntington,IN. :D