Author Topic: NS leaving Evansville.  (Read 2389 times)

xgap

• President
Re: NS leaving Evansville.
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2019, 11:30:25 PM »
To add; as I recall in the mid 70s the IC could be spotted on their trackage on some afternoons. I think they also served the backside of a couple customers on Division between Morton and Kentucky. At that time I believe the street running on Division had been pulled, so I assume the IC used the Morgan Ave trackage to get crosstown. Can anyone verify?

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 06:34:11 AM »
I can't verify but here are some pics from IC's Franklin St yard.  Don't know the exact date when these were taken but the Bicentennial unit gives some sort of date.  ;)

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 08:47:36 PM »
I can't verify but here are some pics from IC's Franklin St yard.  Don't know the exact date when these were taken but the Bicentennial unit gives some sort of date.  ;)

Awesome pics!  I didn't know the yard was open into the 1970s.  I do remember going down Diamond Ave as a kid in the 1980s and looking down to see the IC truss over Pigeon Creek.  That portion of the line was still active then.
No train expert here fellas, just your average history buff...

Eel_River

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2019, 09:04:41 PM »
Previous discussion and photos on this:

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=19609.0

Craig

Chris Brown

• Dispatcher
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 07:13:07 PM »
Doesnt look like they have any customers anymore just by looking at Google.

Last year I had a new roof put on my home. A salesman from Kight lumber off of Morgan Avenue and the NS main in Evansville said NS would not bring them one car a month. The one car bulk head flat is delivered to Madisonville KY and unloaded. The Kight semi transports the lumber from Madisonville to Evansville.

Chris Brown

• Dispatcher
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 07:17:38 PM »
To add; as I recall in the mid 70s the IC could be spotted on their trackage on some afternoons. I think they also served the backside of a couple customers on Division between Morton and Kentucky. At that time I believe the street running on Division had been pulled, so I assume the IC used the Morgan Ave trackage to get crosstown. Can anyone verify?
Street running on Division street ended in 1977.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 08:36:32 PM »

Last year I had a new roof put on my home. A salesman from Kight lumber off of Morgan Avenue and the NS main in Evansville said NS would not bring them one car a month. The one car bulk head flat is delivered to Madisonville KY and unloaded. The Kight semi transports the lumber from Madisonville to Evansville.

I'd wondered why they weren't getting lumber delivered anymore. 

On a related note, I remember when Daylight had an 84 Lumber (currently Daylight Farm Supply).  As a kid I was fascinated by the lumber cars parked on their siding.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 08:38:43 PM »
By the way, 14 News reports US 41 will be closed for 2 days as NS removes it's crossing, beginning tomorrow.

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 10:32:26 PM »
I had my first chance to drive over the removed crossing on 41 today.  Rails removed in the road and replaced with smooth asphalt.  The ROW still has rail and the crossing signals were still in place over the highway. 

IN1312

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2019, 10:34:59 PM »
I had my first chance to drive over the removed crossing on 41 today.  Rails removed in the road and replaced with smooth asphalt.  The ROW still has rail and the crossing signals were still in place over the highway.

That's because the line is Oos, and not abandoned.