Author Topic: NKP track removal to begin  (Read 7400 times)

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
Re: NKP track removal to begin
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2019, 01:53:11 PM »
That Clown from Fishers that pushed this, Needs to get His Butt Not Only KICKED OUT of Fishers, But out of the Country in My BOOK along with Others that I know Think the same. Him and the Mayor in Noblesville need to Quit  worrying about a Trail and spending $90,000 Dollars on something that NO ONE Wants, They need to Put that Money were it will help out the Hungry Kids that are Lucky to Get 1 Meal A Day or Help out the Homeless People. They NEED TO Quit  Waisting Money on Crap that's Not Wanted. Look at all these Stupid ASS Bike Lanes that You Never See any one on, That take up Lanes that were being used. Another Waist.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:31:34 PM by trainmaster53 »

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2019, 10:41:46 PM »
Does anyone else have a brain aneurysm trying to read these posts?

Or is it just me?

NS7112

• Dispatcher
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »
Does anyone else have a brain aneurysm trying to read these posts?

Or is it just me?

some are insightful.... ;D

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2019, 11:05:49 PM »
Him and the Mayor in Noblesville need to Quit  worrying about a Trail and spending $90,000 Dollars on something that NO ONE Wants... They NEED TO Quit  Waisting Money on Crap that's Not Wanted.

OK, I'll bite... plus, I need a good brain aneurysm to clean things out up there. :D

2018 population of Indiana = 6.7 million
Annual cost to Indiana for keeping the Hoosier State running = $3,000,000  i.e. ~45 cents per person
2018 Hoosier State ridership = 27,876  i.e. only 0.4% of the state's population

2017 population (minimum) of the area likely to use the NKP trail (Fishers, Noblesville, & eastern Carmel) = 199,813
Cost to local populace for the NKP trail = $90,000  i.e. also ~45 cents per person
So, if only 0.4% of the local population uses the trail, that would be 799 people per year, or ~2 people per day.

I would have liked to have seen both the NKP and the Hoosier State remain as much as the next person, but one has to be realistic.  Since I think it is safe to say that quite a few more than 2 people would use the NKP trail per day, of the two causes, the Hoosier State would seem to be the one that was less "wanted"... ???
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 11:27:40 PM by IndyKing »
Cheers, Al

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2019, 06:35:43 AM »
IndyKing, just to clarify, the trail will probably end up costing $20mil or so.
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2019, 07:34:30 AM »

AND, keeping the railroad and forgetting about the trail wouldn't have cost much of ANYTHING.

Lt._Dave

• Dispatcher
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2019, 10:46:12 AM »
The right of way could have been used for some great cardboard condo's that's for sure.

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2019, 11:00:53 AM »
2017 population (minimum) of the area likely to use the NKP trail (Fishers, Noblesville, & eastern Carmel) = 199,813
Cost to local populace for the NKP trail = $90,000  i.e. also ~45 cents per person
So, if only 0.4% of the local population uses the trail, that would be 799 people per year, or ~2 people per day.

Yes, their original guesstimate was $9 million, not $90k.  That was before the added features like underpasses and overpasses, the sculpture innovation coves (?) by the Fishers Library, that overlook/bridge they want to build at 96th street, etc.

https://www.playfishers.com/DocumentCenter/View/1062/Nickel-Plate-Trail-Master-Plan-2040-PDF

What you won't see anywhere in this master plan is a budget--or even any mention of the estimated cost--nor whose pockets it will all be coming out of.  But then, we already know the answer to that one.
In fine print on the last page it does claim that $250 million in private investments ADJACENT TO the trail has been promised by various developers.

I am so very glad to not live in Hamilton County.

OrangeAndBlack

• Brakeman
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2019, 01:47:38 PM »
Empty bike lanes? Anyone been on the Monon Trail lately? Itís been an engine for economic development in a big way.

I hate to see train lines go, but if theyíre going to go, Iíd rather see them partly preserved in trail form than be wiped out of existence.

Actually, I wish some foresight was being used and the line was being converted to light rail, but Indy has never had any foresight at all on public transportation.

And I couldnít care less what Noblesville, Fishers and Hamilton County spend on it either. I donít live there (I used to live in Castleton and would have used this trail if it existed) and I suspect? Neither do some of you who bleat on about fiscal responsibilty, but who would likely remain silent if the same investment was devoted to the train.

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2019, 04:24:51 PM »
That Clown from Fishers that pushed this, Needs to get His Butt Not Only KICKED OUT of Fishers, But out of the Country in My BOOK along with Others that I know Think the same. Him and the Mayor in Noblesville need to Quit  worrying about a Trail and spending $90,000 Dollars on something that NO ONE Wants, They need to Put that Money were it will help out the Hungry Kids that are Lucky to Get 1 Meal A Day or Help out the Homeless People. They NEED TO Quit  Waisting Money on Crap that's Not Wanted. Look at all these Stupid ASS Bike Lanes that You Never See any one on, That take up Lanes that were being used. Another Waist.
One of my close friends lives in Noblesville and she has said nobody wants the trail, everyone wants the trains as they brought people to town to patronise the businesses.....

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2019, 06:09:45 PM »
One of my close friends lives in Noblesville and she has said nobody wants the trail, everyone wants the trains as they brought people to town to patronise the businesses.....
Did she go to Noblesville City Council meetings and express her displeasure with the project?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2019, 06:56:12 PM »
What I don’t understand is if everyone is so upset and against the trail, why didn’t the anti trail candidates do better in the primaries. Voter apathy?  Or is rail a non factor to the general public? 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 07:07:31 AM by scraphauler »

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2019, 11:49:42 PM »
Yes, their original guesstimate was $9 million, not $90k.
That's a fair point then... I was basing my calculations on the figure provided by trainmaster53.

I hate to see train lines go, but if theyíre going to go, Iíd rather see them partly preserved in trail form than be wiped out of existence.
I agree with this sentiment.  I have really enjoyed walks down the Milwaukee Road Transportation Trailway in Bedford, the B-Line Trail (Monon) and the Bloomington Rail Trail (IC) in Bloomington, the Putnam Nature Trail (PRR) in Greencastle, and the National Road Heritage Trail (PRR) to the east of Terre Haute.  This has allowed me to see parts of the different RoW's that would never have been accessible had a trail not been there.
Cheers, Al

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2019, 12:23:31 AM »
What I donít understand is if everyone is so upset and against the trail, why didnít the anti train candidates do better in the primaries. Voter apathy?  Or is rail a non factor to the general public?

Sadly what I think the public wanted wasn't ether of the options.

I think most want the rails gone, NO trail, and land reversion.

But the pols can't have that, because that would probably screw the non rail revenue that they get from the Port Authority. Plus they wouldn't get to direct all the trail contracts to their buddies and friends.

Small town politics SUCK. Completely and totally suck.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2019, 07:34:15 AM »
What I donít understand is if everyone is so upset and against the trail, why didnít the anti trail candidates do better in the primaries. Voter apathy?  Or is rail a non factor to the general public?

Well, for one thing, regardless of the issue, it is EXTREMELY difficult to unseat office holders in a primary election, let alone a general election.  the odds are stacked against the challenger about 10000 to 1.  Unless the local party leaders turn against the incumbent, it's hard to even get your name out there.  My guess is the non-trail people probably outnumbered the trail people, but probably 80% of the electorate didn't really give a damn one way or another.  That doesn't make the issue any less legitimate in opinion though.   

nhensley

• Conductor
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2019, 09:50:05 AM »

Actually, I wish some foresight was being used and the line was being converted to light rail, but Indy has never had any foresight at all on public transportation.

The fact that disallowing light rail was codified into law is case and point to why we will never be a world class city.  Veering off topic, but why transportation planning process focused first on the Northeast Corridor of Indy and not linking the airport to downtown is beyond me.  Light rail from the airport to downtown would have been an easy win for public transportation. 

chriis

• Dispatcher
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2019, 03:05:05 PM »
disallowing light rail was codified into law is case and point to why

RIP David Koch

After being successful here, Americans for Prosperity is currently trying to repeat the act in Phoenix,AZ.

Here's an expose in the Phoenix New Times from this month: phoenixnewtimes.com/news/koch-group-behind-anti-light-rail-campaign-in-phoenix-11336419.

For context, here's a Op-Ed from the Indy Star in 2013: indystar.com/story/opinion/readers/2013/08/11/mass-transit-cost-greatly-underestimated/2636889/

Dschro

• Conductor
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2019, 07:33:02 AM »
In the original design for the airport, light rail to downtown WAS in the plans.  Unfortunately, that was the first thing eliminated due to budget constraints.  I knew then that no one in Indy was serious about mass transit!  But don't you just love the Red Line system!!! (Insert sarcasm here)!

Hemigray 42

• Engineer
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2019, 02:25:27 PM »
Could you imagine the money they spent on the  red line was put toward the nickel plate this would of helped with a area that could be really served and ridership would of been used.

Sent from my LGL163BL using Tapatalk

NS7112

• Dispatcher
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2019, 08:00:37 AM »
Back on topic...the rail removal process is rapidly progressing. Rails are gone from 96th st north to 116th already.