Author Topic: NKP track removal to begin  (Read 10799 times)

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
Re: NKP track removal to begin
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2019, 07:52:46 PM »
WMATA is more akin to a modern Chicago EL or NYC Subway. Heavy rail. Copious underground and elevated ROW. Many lines. We donít have the population to support it.

The St Louis light rail might be a better example for us it uses copious amounts of ex steam railroad ROW. So does the Cleveland system.

What would need to be done here is come down from up north, stop down town, and then go to the airport. Which is fairly much what the above two systems do. But none of the two systems needed ratball old branch line rail, garbage ties, and poor ballast. You would have to rip out everything to put in light rail anyway.

The problem with Indy is that for our population size, we have an undersized down town. There are various reasons for this but we have developed two population centers. One downtown, and one in Fishers and Carmel. Most people that live up there, work up there and rarely come down town. You can see this by the stalling of skyscraper construction downtown in the 90s. Instead of building office space downtown, they build up there. What does get built in Indy is hotel and convention stuff.

Most of the above is because of not building 69 all the way down town.

That said, if you built a light rail line from up north to down town, and then went to the airport. It would be decently successful. Not for commuters. But for people coming in and out of town. Maybe go on to Plainfield later.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

pabrankle

• Fireman
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2019, 04:22:07 PM »
Railroad tracks to be removed from 8th Street in Noblesville beginning Monday
POSTED BY: THE REPORTER OCTOBER 9, 2019

The City of Noblesville will begin removing the railroad tracks from 8th Street on Monday, Oct. 14. Removal of deteriorating concrete bases and rails will take place on South 8th Street from Division Street to the south side of Conner Street. A new strip of asphalt will replace the tracks.

Work is expected to take approximately 10 work days and will coincide with Noblesville Schoolsí Fall Break, Oct. 14 to 25. No work will occur between Conner and Logan streets during this portion of the project.

One lane of 8th Street will remain open to traffic during construction hours, but will be under flagger control. Drivers should expect traffic delays to 8th Street until work is completed. Cross streets will be closed as work progresses from south to north. All lanes will be reopened when work is completed each day.

This work follows the removal of track by the Hoosier Heritage Port Authority (HHPA) from Division Street south through Fishers to the end of the former line in Indianapolis. Meanwhile, Noblesville has worked with HHPA to preserve the train tracks going north, which is being used by the Nickel Plate Express for its tourist excursions starting in Atlanta and including a stop at Forest Park in Noblesville.

Caylorman

• Dispatcher
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2019, 12:32:00 PM »
Railroad tracks to be removed from 8th Street in Noblesville beginning Monday
POSTED BY: THE REPORTER OCTOBER 9, 2019

The City of Noblesville will begin removing the railroad tracks from 8th Street on Monday, Oct. 14. Removal of deteriorating concrete bases and rails will take place on South 8th Street from Division Street to the south side of Conner Street. A new strip of asphalt will replace the tracks.

I have to say that I was quite amused to read this line considering my tax dollars as a county resident were likely used to replace the street running only a couple years ago.  Kinda glad I don't have to deal with the BS coming out of Hamilton County any longer...

E.J.

pabrankle

• Fireman
« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2019, 04:14:12 PM »
I have to say that I was quite amused to read this line considering my tax dollars as a county resident were likely used to replace the street running only a couple years ago.  Kinda glad I don't have to deal with the BS coming out of Hamilton County any longer...

E.J.

According to the article, the rails in the middle of Eighth Street were last upgraded over 25 years ago, not "a couple years ago."  Besides, since it is a city street, it was probably paid with City funds, not by Hamilton County.

ďThe deterioration of the tracks, tires can get caught in between in the grooves in the holes that are in between the rail and the concrete and just pedestrians in general so its in overall poor condition, Project Manager Andrew Rodewald said, ďItís over 25 years old and itís met its life expectancy.Ē

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #144 on: October 14, 2019, 05:17:13 PM »
The article is wrong. The track and Oldcastle track panels in 8th Street were in fact replaced in Spring 2014. I have photos of the work in progress which I took while in town that week.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Caylorman

• Dispatcher
« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2019, 05:28:14 PM »
According to the article, the rails in the middle of Eighth Street were last upgraded over 25 years ago, not "a couple years ago."  Besides, since it is a city street, it was probably paid with City funds, not by Hamilton County.

ďThe deterioration of the tracks, tires can get caught in between in the grooves in the holes that are in between the rail and the concrete and just pedestrians in general so its in overall poor condition, Project Manager Andrew Rodewald said, ďItís over 25 years old and itís met its life expectancy.Ē

Then it really would have come out of my taxes, since I was a Noblesville resident....

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #146 on: October 14, 2019, 06:01:39 PM »
The article is wrong. The track and Oldcastle track panels in 8th Street were in fact replaced in Spring 2014. I have photos of the work in progress which I took while in town that week.

The "25 years" reference is probably correct. That was probably when the track was originally placed into the concrete panels. I believe the rails might have been moved also. The replacement panels went in from Logan Street to just south of Conner as I recall so the section to be removed is only the older part.

Then it really would have come out of my taxes, since I was a Noblesville resident....

Sorry but it was not your Noblesville tax dollars at work but your federal tax dollars. The 2014 work was 80% fed money matched by 20% Port Authority money which largely came from the settlement from the propane explosion.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2019, 07:03:19 PM »
The rails to be removed along with the "star panels" must have replaced the rails in these photos. These may have been taken by Craig Presler. Not being a member of ITM in those days I don't remember at all when 8th Street looked like this.

monon_rr

• Dispatcher
« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2019, 08:11:21 PM »
Those were the days...really sad they are gone now.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #149 on: October 14, 2019, 09:32:33 PM »
Those were the days...really sad they are gone now.

Truer words have never been spoken.  There is a long list of people who should be truly ashamed for screwing this whole deal up, and they should ALL be forced to look at these photos and then look in a mirror and honestly ask themselves, "what role did I play in this ongoing disaster, and what do I have to say for myself?  >:(

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2019, 11:53:33 PM »
Truer words have never been spoken.  There is a long list of people who should be truly ashamed for screwing this whole deal up, and they should ALL be forced to look at these photos and then look in a mirror and honestly ask themselves, "what role did I play in this ongoing disaster, and what do I have to say for myself?  >:(

Sadly, the ones that brought this sad event to fruition will never admit that they were the catalyst that started this travesty.

They're most likely the ones that assumed the Logansport location was rightfully their property when they relocated..........

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2019, 10:59:15 AM »
Sadly, the ones that brought this sad event to fruition will never admit that they were the catalyst that started this travesty.

They're most likely the ones that assumed the Logansport location was rightfully their property when they relocated..........
They may not admit it but you can bet they know the general public blames them directly.  If Iím not mistaken there was at least one of those members on here.  ITM had a good thing going and blew it in noblesville.  Unfortunately they had a group of people making decisions that had no clue what they were doing.  I just hope they still arenít making the decisions on the current operations. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk