Author Topic: 1950s trip to Mackinaw City  (Read 396 times)

Drovus

• Engineer
1950s trip to Mackinaw City
« on: July 25, 2019, 11:03:55 PM »
My grandma and two of her older sisters took a train trip from Chicago to Mackinaw City in the 1950s.  I found this out recently, and unfortunately, neither of them are alive anymore, so I can't get a first hand account.  However, I was wondering which railroad had a train that went to Mackinaw City, that they more than likely took there from Chicago?  Thanks for any help.

swinstandley

• Conductor
Re: 1950s trip to Mackinaw City
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 11:24:50 PM »
The C&O (ex-PM) had summer service from Chicago through Grand Rapids to Petoskey/Bay View, but did not go to Mackinaw City. The Pennsy (Grand Rapids & Indiana) had passenger trains to Mackinaw City (through Bay View) from Cincinnati. The New York Central also had passenger service to Mackinaw City, in its last years with RDCs, but I don't know the southern origin of NYC's Mackinaw service.
Stew

Kim_Heusel

• Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: 1950s trip to Mackinaw City
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 09:39:50 AM »
The April 26, 1953, PRR timetable shows service from Cincinnati to Mackinaw City via Fort Wayne that shows connections from Chicago. This could very well be the train they took. It looks like there were through sleeping cars from Chicago to Mackinaw City. Coach passengers may have had to change trains when in Fort Wayne. There also was New York Central service Mackinaw City. An NYC timetable from April 29, 1962 still shows service from Detroit to Mackinaw City. I don't have anything on NYC from earlier than that. First image is the PRR timetable. Second image is NYC.

Kim Heusel