Author Topic: NS PSR effects = Marion branch losses  (Read 1267 times)

Marion Branch Modeler

• Fireman
NS PSR effects = Marion branch losses
« on: July 05, 2019, 06:47:26 AM »
Looks like the Marion branch has lost 368,369,365,and 366 so far in the new clean sheeting process. 174 and 177 are now handling Muncie traffic, 12Q is handling Elkhart to Ft Wayne traffic. I don't know what train(s) handle Marion,as well as the Ft wayne to Elkhart traffic. I saw 174 last Wednesday coming thru Goshen with DPU's in the train. Anyone have anymore info?

Jeff Hall

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 11:46:49 AM »
I donít deal with east bound traffic but from what Iíve seen 174 will be dpu now.  Only 300 trains I see are 331,332, 334,335, 336, and 353.The 142, 143, 14n  will be dpu and I think one more.  All trains now have a set schedule to depart in all directions. 

As for westbound trains, 37e goes to Brc now.  17n, 33g, 16g all do pu or so in pine yard or burns harbor.  17v will eventually do pu or do at pine yard as well.  Only the 200 and an occasional coal train will go to proviso. 

Iíll also add that traffic is still going to be running frequently on the branch.  Just last week they held out a train in south bend because the branch was to full running north. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 01:22:13 PM by Rick »

CIOR_CO

• Dispatcher
Re: NS PSR effects = Marion branch losses
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 05:25:08 PM »
All of what Rick said.  The 365/366 have been replaced by the 12Q/13Q.  The 12Q/13Q block swap in Fort Wayne as they run to/from Elkhart-Bellevue and return.  The Q trains also replaced the 307 and 326 between Fort Wayne and Bellevue.  Marion cars are routed into FTW and then taken on the L90/L95 to Roanoke, where the L44 from Marion picks them up, then returns to Marion.  I've seen previous Marion cuts of 50-60 cars or more, so not sure how this is working out since the L44 is always 11+ hours with just it's GM boxcars.

The 12Q is scheduled to depart from Elkhart at 1pm each day.  The "scheduled" arrival time for the 13Q in Elkhart is 830am.  The 174 (DP train) picks up Elkhart cars at Muncie.  The 143 (DP train) sets off a Muncie block at Richmond in either the Manville or GRI leads.  The 196/197 both work Muncie as well.  Muncie was already a bottleneck before, now there's even more trains outlawing due to all the setoffs/pickups.

Fun times had by all ;D
CIOR Conductor

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 05:34:34 PM »

now there's even more trains outlawing due to all the setoffs/pickups.

Fun times had by all ;D

Yep.  Could be learning curve but itís not like they havenít tried this before. 

To add to the change, rumor is Detroit is going to conrail shared assets next. 

bamx2

• Brakeman
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 04:08:46 PM »
I don't know all of the numbers. Does this affect the NS running through Anderson twice a day?

ckpcpqq

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 11:12:45 PM »
I've heard of other changes at NS, such as eliminating the Cummings Bridge operator, who controlled traffic between Van Loon and 80th St (or thereabouts).  Traffic is now dispatched from Atlanta.

BTW, now that the Dearborn dispatchers have moved, do they still call it the "Dearborn Division?"  And are the dispatchers still referred to as Chicago West and Chicago East?

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 08:27:14 AM »
I've heard of other changes at NS, such as eliminating the Cummings Bridge operator, who controlled traffic between Van Loon and 80th St (or thereabouts).  Traffic is now dispatched from Atlanta.

BTW, now that the Dearborn dispatchers have moved, do they still call it the "Dearborn Division?"  And are the dispatchers still referred to as Chicago West and Chicago East?
Operator still there for about 30 more days. They just listen to make sure new dispatcher is transitioning ok.  This is now Chicago dispatcher instead of operator and he controls calumet to Muncie.  Thereís no more new castle dispatcher. 

Yes, itís still Dearborn division and it is Chicago terminal(former west) and Elkhart dispatcher(former east) and the territory is now bigger for Elkhart by 50 miles or so going east.  Iím not sure exactly how many more miles but there is no more Toledo west dispatcher either. 

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:21:43 AM by Rick »

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 11:53:36 AM »
Operator still there for about 30 more days. They just listen to make sure new dispatcher is transitioning ok.  This is now Chicago dispatcher instead of operator and he controls calumet to Muncie.  Thereís no more new castle dispatcher. 
Itís weird that the new castle district has a division point in the middle of it.  Through trains go from the Chicago Dispatcher to the Cincinnati Dispatcher.  Seems like that creates additional delays and trains arenít moving as quickly as they once did across the entire district. 

Did they also split up the crew district?
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

CIOR_CO

• Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 04:24:05 PM »
Crew districts are still the same Mike.  What was 3 dispatchers from Chicago to Burnside KY (165 miles south of Cincinnati) is now two, with West Noell as the dividing point.  They just changed the New Castle District from radio channel 22 to channel 83 a few days back.  83(Chicago DS) is used from Baer Field to West Noell, then 22(Cincy DS) is used the rest of the way down to Crescentville.  They keep making so many changes it's hard to keep up with all of them. 

They've made numerous speed changes too.  Almost feel like a fish out of water ;D
CIOR Conductor

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 12:58:19 PM »
83?  Not 93 (161.49) like on the NKP?
[edit]Yup, I hear a lot more on the scanner at 161.355, thanks.  I didn't have that as one of NS's frequencies when I checked the others. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:51:06 PM by rrnut282 »
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)